Does God want you to be Rich?

Wait a sec, I thought tithing was giving money to the church. You're saying any time you give your money to a good cause it's a tithe? What does the Bible say?

Yeah. Read what I wrote above - from Keith Green.

Christ said "Even as you give to the LEAST among you, you are giving to ME."

A "Portion" of one's blessing is to be given because Christ is all about helping the helpless. Whether that's to an organized Church, or to the guy on the street; we're called to give as our heart leads.

An open-mind has never stopped looking for answers. I'm agnostic and I'll be one until I find a more reasonable explaination for my existance.

I can PROMISE you one thing...you WERE created to be MUCH more than a Falcons Fan. I believe you should aspire to at LEAST a full-fledged NFL Team.

:D

:poke:

Wait a sec, I thought tithing was giving money to the church. You're saying any time you give your money to a good cause it's a tithe? What does the Bible say?

tithing means to give a tenth (tithe) of one's income to ....... pick your charity .... damn for someone as picky as you one would figure you would know something this elemental

Am I losing it or is this the first religion/ethics post to segue into a sports thread? If so, I'm just happy it's not another gay thread! Carry on...

Most churches teach that it is right to give 10% of your income to the church, in order to support those who are in full-time ministry. I believe this is a biblically correct teaching. Most churches also teach the concepts that mattskramer posted, i.e. we are to be generous in our giving. That "extra" giving can come in the form of extra money donated to the church, or to other private charities, or to needy individuals.
You are correct; tithing & offerings are different.

Tithing is something that God asks for. Tithe was used to support the priests. It was the increase, the "first fruits", be that money, crops, livestock. Offerings are freewill, given from the heart.

Yeah. Read what I wrote above - from Keith Green.

Christ said "Even as you give to the LEAST among you, you are giving to ME."

A "Portion" of one's blessing is to be given because Christ is all about helping the helpless. Whether that's to an organized Church, or to the guy on the street; we're called to give as our heart leads.

You, my friend, are confusing tithes and offerings. See Joz's post above (#128).

No - I'm saying 'tithe' can be to 'other-than' a specific Church. Giving to (insert anything) in His name is giving to Him.

I understand what you're saying. But there's a difference between tithing and giving an offering. Tithing is the specific act of giving to a church to support those who are in full time ministry. Offerings are giving in other manners, e.g. to the guy on the street or your relative who's fallen on hard times. Both can be done in God's name, you're right. But there's a difference.

I understand what you're saying. But there's a difference between tithing and giving an offering. Tithing is the specific act of giving to a church to support those who are in full time ministry. Offerings are giving in other manners, e.g. to the guy on the street or your relative who's fallen on hard times. Both can be done in God's name, you're right. But there's a difference.

"..when you give to the very least of these, you are giving unto ME"

-Jesus.

That's my guideline.

"..when you give to the very least of these, you are giving unto ME"-Jesus.That's my guideline.
The text you are quoting is Matthew 25:41-45 where Jesus is explaining Judgement Day; that those who refused to help; also refused Christ.

But in Numbers 18:23, 24 it tells that the tithe specifically is to be used for the Levites, the ministers of Israel, as they were not allowed an inheritance.
Deuteronomy 12:17 speaks of tithes & offerings seperately.
Malachi 3:8-12 Tithe & offering is spoken of again seperately & by not giving these we are robbing God.

Anyone here care to tell me how this thread went from the original question to whether or not and/or the amount one should give (tithe)?

The text you are quoting is Matthew 25:41-45 where Jesus is explaining Judgement Day; that those who refused to help; also refused Christ.

But in Numbers 18:23, 24 it tells that the tithe specifically is to be used for the Levites, the ministers of Israel, as they were not allowed an inheritance.
Deuteronomy 12:17 speaks of tithes & offerings seperately.
Malachi 3:8-12 Tithe & offering is spoken of again seperately & by not giving these we are robbing God.

okay? Numbers means less to me - in that context, than what Jesus actually spoke, and was quite clear on. I'm saying my tithe goes to God through my giving to where I feel lead. My portion of my income which is given, is "received" because I'm faithfull to heed His instructions on how and when and to whom gifts are made.

You keep talking about the different KIND of 'giving'. I'm talking about who is receiving the gift. :)

Forum List

Back