Does Breast Cancer belong in the NFL?

In case you missed (which I'm sure you didn't) I'm equally opposed to hijacking any and all sporting events to promote any PC cause-of-the-minute....Likewise, the "(your pet do-gooder project here) awareness months" amount to nothing more than nagging on a grand scale.

But I guess if you're into being a naggard, so be it.

You'd have a point if Breast Cancer awareness were a "cause of the minute" thing.

Usually, I agree with the majority of your posts - this time I think your commentary is crude and uncalled for. Having been down that "cause of the minute" road myself, I hope no female you're "with" is ever inflicted with it, because YOUR life will change drastically.

I have to support Dude on this one.
While it may be cute to have the NFL players wearing pink, it sets a bad precident. Are other, just as worthy causes going to lobby the NFL to have a day in their honor?

The NFL was very strict on what they would allow to honor Pat Tillman and Pat was one of their own. To sell out to Breast Cancer Awareness or any other cause is just petty

In case you missed (which I'm sure you didn't) I'm equally opposed to hijacking any and all sporting events to promote any PC cause-of-the-minute....Likewise, the "(your pet do-gooder project here) awareness months" amount to nothing more than nagging on a grand scale.

But I guess if you're into being a naggard, so be it.

You'd have a point if Breast Cancer awareness were a "cause of the minute" thing.

Usually, I agree with the majority of your posts - this time I think your commentary is crude and uncalled for. Having been down that "cause of the minute" road myself, I hope no female you're "with" is ever inflicted with it, because YOUR life will change drastically.

Are other, just as worthy causes going to lobby the NFL to have a day in their honor?
They are certainly welcome to do so.

I'm really not understanding the problem. Perhaps you can explain it.

But it's NOT a once-a-year thing...Both Mother's Day and the entire month of October have been hijacked, all for one strain of cancer, that isn't even the most malignant or widespread.

But, in reality...has anything really been hijacked?

Good to have the topic spun off into its own thread.

That said, the title is slightly inaccurate, as my beef is with all completely unrelated sporting or other events (i.e. LEISURE ACTIVITIES) being roped into playing the vehicle for political statements. This viewpoint is entirely consistent with my position taken viz. the song "God Bless America" supplanting "Take Me out to the Ball Game" at the 7th inning stretch, when we already do the patriotism thing before the game starts, with the national anthem.

Of course, how would you like to be the NFL or MLB administrator who says no to this silliness?....The press would have a field day with all the weeping and wailing of how misogynist that professional sports are.

Last edited:
WTF is with all the pink shit everyone is wearing?

Is it really hurting you if someone (or even a team) decides to wear a specific color in support of something? Does it really change how the game is played? Are you going to hate "your" team if they win? Are you going to blame the "pink" if they lose? Everyone can "opt out" of supporting anything they like. If they're wearing pink (and I don't even know who is), it sounds to me like they're all for it.

Why does that bother you so bad?

I couldn't possibly care less if it's left out of, or brought in to football. It doesn't change a thing for me. What I don't understand is your absolute anger.

That said, the title is slightly inaccurate, as my beef is with all completely unrelated sporting or other events

You negated this with your other post.

Huh??...They've already hijacked baseball on Mother's Day, now they need a whole goddamn month?

So, when do the guys get a month?...How 'bout crappy beer or frigid bitch awareness months?

Again, how is breast cancer awareness a political statement?

And what makes you so sure that the NFL hasn't done this strictly as a marketing ploy?

Is it really hurting you if someone (or even a team) decides to wear a specific color in support of something? Does it really change how the game is played? Are you going to hate "your" team if they win? Are you going to blame the "pink" if they lose? Everyone can "opt out" of supporting anything they like. If they're wearing pink (and I don't even know who is), it sounds to me like they're all for it.

I couldn't possibly care less if it's left out of, or brought in to football. It doesn't change a thing for me. What I don't understand is your absolute anger.
It's overt politicization of the few things left in this world that give many of us a break from politics.

After that, what makes breast cancer more deserving of the imposed PC spotlight any more than pancreatic, prostate, skin, colo-rectal, lung, brain or any other cancers?

It's overt politicization of the few things left in this world that give many of us a break from politics.

After that, what makes breast cancer more deserving of the imposed PC spotlight any more than pancreatic, prostate, skin, colo-rectal, lung, brain or any other cancers?
Women with big mouths, probably. So how again is it political? What makes breast cancer a political issue...because women get it more often than men?

That said, the title is slightly inaccurate, as my beef is with all completely unrelated sporting or other events

You negated this with your other post.

Huh??...They've already hijacked baseball on Mother's Day, now they need a whole goddamn month?

So, when do the guys get a month?...How 'bout crappy beer or frigid bitch awareness months?

Again, how is breast cancer awareness a political statement?

And what makes you so sure that the NFL hasn't done this strictly as a marketing ploy?
Go ahead and be the NFL administrator who turns this down, and you'll see just how political it is.

And what makes breast cancer more deserving of the imposed PC spotlight any more than pancreatic, skin, colo-rectal, lung, brain or any other cancers?

Perhaps the fact that someone got off their duff and did something about it? Again, you're not required to wear pink, you're not required to donate, you're not required to buy any of the items wherein part of the proceeds go to research, you're not required to do anything at all, as a matter of fact. So, why the anger?

It seems to me, then, that your anger should be directed at the football team of your choosing; not at the breast cancer foundation.

It's politically correct bullshit. The NFL has sucked for years, and this is just one more example of style over substance. Anything they can do to distract people from the fact that everyone on the field is the same because of parity. The NFL can blow me, and after seeing heir pink gear, maybe I should back away from that...maybe they actually will.

i think breast cancer awareness month is simply another marketing ploy....the companies seem to be getting more benefit than woman.

It may well be true.. But why does it make Dude so angry that a football player wears pink? Like that's going to change the outcome of the game..

I'm curious...those of you who think it has no place anywhere...

When you go to a grocery store to get Pepsi, do you grab the one with the pink banding that's going to donate a portion of that sale, or do you just grab the one with the regular banding?

Forum List

Back