John Wayne, Killed by a Nuclear Weapons Test?

I've smoked cigarettes since 1967 and still smoke a pack of the Marlboro Black 100s a day. Nobody could smoke 7 packs of cigarettes a day, that has to be a Hollywood myth.
I personally knew a guy who smoked over a carton every day. A mere 7 packs a day would have been cutting way back for him.

I've seen him smoke 3 packs in just a couple hours during pool league.

I knew my mom's favorite actress, Susan Heyward, died from cancer blamed on those blasts, but John Wayne was such a heavy smoker, seems like that would have been a bigger factor in his death.

The Duke was a heavy smoker and the movie was a flop but statistics indicate that the people who worked on the movie were diagnosed with cancer at a higher rate than the population.

Some people are able to smoke and still live to be older than 100. Smoking isn't bad for everyone, and in some cases it may be somewhat healthy. What I mean by this is that if lighting up a cigarette after each meal rather than eating seconds helps you not to be a fatty like I am, then It may be the lesser of two evils.
Smoking is not good for you, your argument about keeping weight off has been used before. Even trying to frame it as a weight loss drug is not enough, there is nothing good about smoking. Nothing. The thing with smoking is some people get cancer from it, and some don't.

No one knows why.

The Duke was a heavy smoker and the movie was a flop but statistics indicate that the people who worked on the movie were diagnosed with cancer at a higher rate than the population.

Working on a movie set with Alec Baldwin would probably get you killed faster.

Smoking is not good for you, your argument about keeping weight off has been used before. Even trying to frame it as a weight loss drug is not enough, there is nothing good about smoking. Nothing. The thing with smoking is some people get cancer from it, and some don't.

No one knows why.
True, smoking is not a healthy thing to do in an of it's self. Neither is being grossly obese. If lighting up a cigarette helps a person to stop eating that would otherwise be over 100 lbs overweight, then smoking a few cigarettes may be a healthier alternative than overeating for SOME PEOPLE. Of course the best thing would to not be overweight and not smoke, but what works for one person may not work for another. Some people that smoke live long and healthy lives, which is proof that smoking isn't that bad for every individual. I personally have never been a smoker and I hate second hand smoke. However, George Burns lived to be 100 years and he reportedly smoked 10 to 15 cigars a day. I highly doubt that I as a nonsmoker will live to be 100.

Nobody could smoke 7 packs of cigarettes a day, that has to be a Hollywood myth.

Not when you consider his cigarette of choice was Camel filterless.

I used to work with a guy that smoked those in the 1990s, and it always amazed me that he was the same way. In reality, when smoking a filterless cigarette a person will go through 3 for each King filtered that somebody else will smoke. And easily 4 for each 100. I had at that time a 1 pack a day habit, he had easily a 4 or 5 pack a day habit. But if he smoked what I did (filtered 100s), he likely would have had a 1.5 pack a day habit.

Those that are younger often do not know the history of smoking. But "filtered cigarettes" really only became a thing in the 1950s, before then almost all were filterless. And "king size", so the same length as the shorts sold today, but no filter. So once it burns so short you risk burning your fingers you put it out and light another one.

That is also the era when "cigarette holders" were big. Those really did have a purpose in the era before filtered cigarettes. It was so you could smoke more of your cigarette without risking burning your fingers. Because at that time period, the last inch or so was essentially just thrown away.

Forum List

Back