Do you listen to, and enjoy, music by people you know are wankers ?

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
How does this work ?

I was a big fan of the Smiths back in the day but Morrissey is beyond redemption these days. His music is still amazing but his politics make me sad.

This is the work of a genius though.

You know, at one time I was a pretty big fan of Ted Nugent. Great White Buffalo and Free For All were 2 of my favorite songs. But, then I found out about his ducking military service, and then there was the rabid support of Trump.

Same thing with Kid Rock. Loved his song Cowboy, and a lot of his other music, but I can't support their political leanings.

I also really appreciated Michael Jackson (Black or White was another favorite song of mine), but then when the whole kid molesting thing came around, I couldn't support him anymore either.

My solution? I separate the artist from their art, and remember that the stuff I liked about them was before they showed themselves to be complete idiots. I still like those songs, and I haven't thrown away their CD's, but when I listen to their music, it is a cautionary tale to me to not get to know too much about my (onetime) heroes.

U2 is another group I no longer like, but it's not because of their political leanings, it's because they sold out with the album Zootropia. All their music prior to that was pretty decent, everything from that album on is pure crap.

My solution? I separate the artist from their art, and remember that the stuff I liked about them was before they showed themselves to be complete idiots

I've a complete studio, invite anyone in that wants to take/make music seriously

I've played with cultists, religmo's, left and rightwingers, etc....

I just focus on the music....

Everywhere is freaks and hairies
Dykes and fairies, tell me where is sanity

~S~

You know, at one time I was a pretty big fan of Ted Nugent. Great White Buffalo and Free For All were 2 of my favorite songs. But, then I found out about his ducking military service, and then there was the rabid support of Trump.

Same thing with Kid Rock. Loved his song Cowboy, and a lot of his other music, but I can't support their political leanings.

I also really appreciated Michael Jackson (Black or White was another favorite song of mine), but then when the whole kid molesting thing came around, I couldn't support him anymore either.

My solution? I separate the artist from their art, and remember that the stuff I liked about them was before they showed themselves to be complete idiots. I still like those songs, and I haven't thrown away their CD's, but when I listen to their music, it is a cautionary tale to me to not get to know too much about my (onetime) heroes.

U2 is another group I no longer like, but it's not because of their political leanings, it's because they sold out with the album Zootropia. All their music prior to that was pretty decent, everything from that album on is pure crap.
I agree with this post.

Except that I never liked U2 to start with.

And I'm pretty sure if you look up "wanker" there's a picture of Bono.

My solution? I separate the artist from their art, and remember that the stuff I liked about them was before they showed themselves to be complete idiots

I've a complete studio, invite anyone in that wants to take/make music seriously

I've played with cultists, religmo's, left and rightwingers, etc....

I just focus on the music....

Everywhere is freaks and hairies
Dykes and fairies, tell me where is sanity

~S~

That's part of how I separate the art from the artist, because if a song has meaning or a beat that makes me wanna move, it's still a good song, even if it was made by a wanker as the OP puts it.

I think the U2 thing is pretty universal. I remember buying the Joshua Tree on cassette and playing it to death in the car one summer. But they just lost their way, doesnt invalidate their earlier work.

Jacko as well. The allegations dont seem to have harmed his sales and you cant deny he was a genius.

Springsteen is a genius but there are folk on here who despise him because of his politics. I cant compute that.

In shred metal there are a few 'wanker' guitarists
with egos much bigger than their soul for music....who think they're better than anyone else...I can name a few that I know of---Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen, MAB and a couple others. All shredders are not showing off though. But that's just one category of wankers.

Frank Zappa was a bit of a wanker in some ways but I have a ton of respect for him as a person and musician.
DLR - the king of wankers but I still listen to some of his stuff occasionally.

Don't pay attention to 'celebrities' and their 'politics'; they're mostly juvenile tards about anything but themselves anyway, narcissists for the most part. Don't care about their life problems either, nor do I feel any pity for them, as nearly all of them with few exceptions are greedy selfish and self-centered so why bother with anything but their music? They're just acting and role playing for the most part on the other stuff, hoping for more sales. As far as rock goes, that genre has little to do with musical talent in the first place, just the skill of getting 12 year old girls to part with some of their allowance money.

Forum List

Back