Do you give your plants names and/or talk to them?

Here he is!

[ame=http://youtu.be/-ozbX-yM8ao]Gemmy Billy Bass Animatronic Fish Singing "Don't Worry be happy.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

Fuel Rod needs to sing this song to his plants.

Last edited:
Never even considered naming my plants or the wild life that comes around. One of my daughters does name the hummingbirds. How she can tell them apart I don't know. I think naming plants and talking to them helps the person more than the plant.

I talk to my plants all the time, but I have not named them.

"You are SOOO pretty today!" or "DO NOT bite me!" when pruning the rose bushes...and they never listen. Maybe they like blood. lol

I hug or pet my trees, too. :)

Thanks for inviting me, Derideo! Good thread man.

I don't really talk with my garden plants or name them, but I do enjoy eating them grilled or roasted. :D

I dont have indoor plants.... my brown thrum and cats are not compatible with them.

I do better with my garden.... the automatic drip system works wonderful. The only time i talk to them is when i am threatening their lives by pulling them up by the roots if they don't start preforming..... and you would be amazed how well that talk works with some of them..... :lol:

Now this is FASCINATING!

Watch What Plants Talk About Online | Video: Full Episode | Nature | PBS

I had recorded it about a month ago and never got around to watching it but after all the comments in this thread by Jeri, FR, Syrenn, et al I decided to watch it over lunch.

Who knew that plants called in specific predators to take down the types of insects that were eating them? Who knew that they could change their own flowers and blooming times? Who knew that they could recognize their siblings? Who knew that trees nurtured their young?

So while this is 53 minutes long it is a must for anyone interested in plants. We might not all talk to our plants but that doesn't mean that plants aren't talking about us! :badgrin:

I don't name them, gosh, I have so many, it's hard for me to remember my kids' names, much less my plants....but I do talk to them, or talk to myself while I am outside watering them. I have been know to curse at them from time to time.

Here's a picture of my Clematis, who hadn't been producing too many flowers in the 4 years I've had it, with it's first flower this year. Now it has quite a few more, I need to take another picture.

P1010889-1.jpg

And here is a picture of my tomato plants taken 1 May....I counted 16 tomatoes already.

P1010885.jpg

When my daughter was little, she'd bring home plants from school and they always died...so no plants for me. However, we once lived in a house with a huge, gnarly old oak tree that bordered the back of the property leading into the woods. She had such a presence, that I felt she deserved a name...I called her Matilda.:)

When my daughter was little, she'd bring home plants from school and they always died...so no plants for me. However, we once lived in a house with a huge, gnarly old oak tree that bordered the back of the property leading into the woods. She had such a presence, that I felt she deserved a name...I called her Matilda.:)

That is the perfect name for an oak tree. :)

I don't name them, gosh, I have so many, it's hard for me to remember my kids' names, much less my plants....but I do talk to them, or talk to myself while I am outside watering them. I have been know to curse at them from time to time.

Here's a picture of my Clematis, who hadn't been producing too many flowers in the 4 years I've had it, with it's first flower this year. Now it has quite a few more, I need to take another picture.

P1010889-1.jpg

And here is a picture of my tomato plants taken 1 May....I counted 16 tomatoes already.

P1010885.jpg

When I used to grow tomatoes we would end up with so many that we couldn't give them away. So instead I stuck them in the blender and poured them into ice cube trays. Once they were frozen I popped them into plastic bags. We used them for cooking stews and curries because we could just throw a couple in the pot straight out of the freezer. :)

P1010889-1.jpg

P1010885.jpg

When I used to grow tomatoes we would end up with so many that we couldn't give them away. So instead I stuck them in the blender and poured them into ice cube trays. Once they were frozen I popped them into plastic bags. We used them for cooking stews and curries because we could just throw a couple in the pot straight out of the freezer. :)

I make salsa with my excess. Do you get the Gulf Fritillary butterflies on your Clematis?

gulffritillary071124-2623brnswckz.jpg

P1010889-1.jpg

P1010885.jpg

Good idea....I pureed mine and just poured it into freezer bags. I also froze some whole ones that I just throw into my spaghetti sauce. I made salsa so many times, that uses up a whole bunch....I gave tons away to friends and finally I was so tired of going out there to pick them I just finally quit watering them and the plants died. I shouldn't plant so many plants, but in the spring, I get over zealous thinking a few plants is not enough and before I know it I'm way over the number that is reasonable.....:lol:

P1010889-1.jpg

P1010885.jpg

Good idea....I pureed mine and just poured it into freezer bags. I also froze some whole ones that I just throw into my spaghetti sauce. I made salsa so many times, that uses up a whole bunch....I gave tons away to friends and finally I was so tired of going out there to pick them I just finally quit watering them and the plants died. I shouldn't plant so many plants, but in the spring, I get over zealous thinking a few plants is not enough and before I know it I'm way over the number that is reasonable.....:lol:

When I gardened, I canned tomatoes and made cucumber pickles. Also made pickled beets. When I had too many zuchini, I pured them and kept them in the freezer to use in cooking. I also went out to the farms and picked berries to make jam. At that time I made fresh bread as well.

So let me tell you about my plants and their names and stories.

Perhaps the most prolific plant in our garden is "the Donald". This is a trumpet vine that is trying to take over the entire neighborhood. I spend quite some considerable time yesterday going up and down a ladder cutting back the growth that was trying to climb both my home and the neighbors. BTW it is the "comb over" on top of the pergola that inspired the nickname.

Speaking of invasive we used to have a wonderful tea rose. However it too wanted to invade the neighborhood until it committed suicide by completely blocking the holes in the bottom of the pot it was in and then drowning in the fall rains. (I nicknamed that one Adolf :badgrin:)

The Twins were a pair of arborvitaes that we purchased to go on either side of the gate. Only one survived and is now about 9' tall. We purchased a creeper that was on an A frame that insisted upon growing two curved "horns" each year no matter how often I pruned them so hence the nickname El Diablo. :eusa_whistle:

Both Mrs Te and my father died within a year of each other and we were giving indoor plants on both occasions. Mrs Te named them Tim and Ron respectively. We also have small garden statues. The pig with wings is my favorite and the dove is named after my late nephew Graham.

$(KGrHqF,!lMFGT8sWGiWBRnuqKEgFg~~60_35.JPG

So do you have names for your plants and do you talk to them?

[Edit] Following on Luddly's excellent post (#2) the OP is now expanded to include names for anything in your garden, including wildlife. :)

"The Donald" has a clone here, too. My trumpet vine climbs a story each year, provides large orange florets that are poisonous to me but loved by the little Ruby throated hummingbirds who summer here. They like it well and ignore the little red hummingbird feeders for the most part when the trumpets are out. They grow 2 stories high per season, and I get to see curious little hummingbirds from my upstairs bay window all summer long. They're so terribly cute and are completely coated with pollen when they emerge from sipping from trumpets all morning. :lol: :lol: :lol: They're so cute before they lose their brilliant lime green iridescence to pollen. *sigh*

I used to have a green thumb, but can no longer do gardening. Fortunately, we have a beautiful spring display of wildflowers in Texas thanks to Lady Bird Johnson, who promoted wildflowers growing along the highways and byways of the Lone Star State. The highway department still lets them grow, and I suspect plant grasses that don't hide them in their bluebonnet glory days of April. So I have learned to love wildflowers, since that's all that I can have now, and it's enough for me. ;)

When I gardened, I canned tomatoes and made cucumber pickles. Also made pickled beets. When I had too many zuchini, I pured them and kept them in the freezer to use in cooking. I also went out to the farms and picked berries to make jam. At that time I made fresh bread as well.

Oh boy, we should talk more. :D

I often get made fun of in jest by my loved ones, because I'm a 6'4" big guy who loves gardening, canning, and cooking. And jams!

Made Gingery Pickled Beets, Meyer Lemon Marmalade, and Rowanberry Jam.

They say I'm domesticated. I say I like good taste. :D

I often get made fun of in jest by my loved ones, because I'm a 6'4" big guy who loves gardening, canning, and cooking. And jams!

These things should not be gender biased.

I feel you. I get funny looks for talking about butterfly gardening. :lol:

I bet that was rewarding. I haven't gotten into canning. Freezing is the extent that I will go....but we sure do enjoy the fruit of my labor, when we start reaping the rewards...:)

Forum List

Back