Do you get "Goosebumps" when you hear someone sing the National Anthem?

Hell yes, and I have not herd it in a long time.

It reminds me of baseball and my father and freedom, it is a hell of a song, the best national anthem going.

I always do.

Only when Wayne Messmer sang it at the old Chicago Stadium..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvpxVE_kQXg]YouTube - ‪US National Anthem drowned out by cheers at 91 NHL All Star Game‬‏[/ame]

The old barn was insane....

I don't care for the Star Spangled Banner. The music is reminiscent of Deutschland Uber Alles and the overture of a German comic opera I can't stand. It isn't nearly as inspiring as the French Le Marsielles or the Communist Internationale.

I do recall some holiday dawns and America, The Beautiful played softly with muted brass and muffled snare drums rolling slowly in cadence with colors raising on the main Parade Field at Camp LeJeune. That was good for some really big goose bumps.

I think America, The Beautiful should be our National Anthem because the Star Spangled Banner is harsh and boring.

I don't care for the Star Spangled Banner. The music is reminiscent of Deutschland Uber Alles and the overture of a German comic opera I can't stand. It isn't nearly as inspiring as the French Le Marsielles or the Communist Internationale.

I do recall some holiday dawns and America, The Beautiful played softly with muted brass and muffled snare drums rolling slowly in cadence with colors raising on the main Parade Field at Camp LeJeune. That was good for some really big goose bumps.

I think America, The Beautiful should be our National Anthem because the Star Spangled Banner is harsh and boring.

No its not...

Its actually a poem written by Frances Scott Key after he witnessed the destruction of Ft. McHenry ...

Our national anthem actually happened and thats why its so exciting and or patriotic.

The US is like the "Rocky" of the world..... We got our ass kicked into nearly submission several times, however we always won, and we did so on nothing but pure determination and belief in ideas..

Yeah, it's a good song, but not sure I'd say I get goosebumps. Sometimes I wonder how they choose the celebrity to sing it at special occasions. Take Roseanne Barr for instance, she was a popular comedienne, a lot of people liked her, but why did she do that I wonder?? I know she got boo-ed very badly when she sang it, but to me, it sounded as tho she did it that way ON PURPOSE. And I always wondered why she would do that, to such a beautiful song. And of course, she got bad reviews over it, and she asked for it. I think she could have done a much better job, but that's just my opinion. Who flubbed last?? Was it Christina Aguilera?? (probably spelled the last name wrong)

Oh, say can you see by the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars thru the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?
And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore, dimly seen through the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected now shines in the stream:
'Tis the star-spangled banner! Oh long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
A home and a country should leave us no more!
Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave

Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave

United%20States%20flag-XL-anim.gif

Oh, say can you see by the dawn's early light
What so proudly we hailed at the twilight's last gleaming?
Whose broad stripes and bright stars thru the perilous fight,
O'er the ramparts we watched were so gallantly streaming?
And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
Gave proof through the night that our flag was still there.
Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave?

On the shore, dimly seen through the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the morning's first beam,
In full glory reflected now shines in the stream:
'Tis the star-spangled banner! Oh long may it wave

And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
A home and a country should leave us no more!
Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave

Oh! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave

United%20States%20flag-XL-anim.gif

I love those words. I think our anthem is wonderful.

Do you get "Goosebumps" when you hear someone sing the National Anthem?

When Roseann Barr sang it I got goosebumps if by goosebumps you mean projectile vomiting.

It really depends on who is singing it. There are some people (Rene Rancourt @ Boston Bruins games) who I really enjoy hearing it sung by, no matter how many times I've heard it. There are others (almost anyone @ the Super Bowl) that I have actually sat down during the anthem because what I was hearing was NOT the Star Spangled Banner.

It's NOT an easy song to sing. HOWEVER, it is nowhere near as difficult as some of these performers make it out to be.

I WOULD be for a Federal Law/Constitutional Amendment REQUIRING that any individual who sings it does so THE WAY IT WAS ORIGINALLY WRITTEN. Of course that would mean most of the "pop" stars out there would no longer be willing or able to perform it, since they all seem to have to put their own "improvement" on it. The word "free" in the last sentence being among my main complaints with most of these people (it's a whole note - 4 beats only folks).

[...]

Of course that would mean most of the "pop" stars out there would no longer be willing or able to perform it, since they all seem to have to put their own "improvement" on it. The word "free" in the last sentence being among my main complaints with most of these people (it's a whole note - 4 beats only folks).
I certainly agree with that.

The liberties some of these so-called singers take with the actual notes of the anthem make it sound like something long and cold is being slid into their rectums.

Forum List

Back