Clarence Clemons Suffers Stroke

jillian

Princess
Apr 4, 2006
The Other Side of Paradise
Exclusive: We’re sending prayers to The Big Man, Clarence Clemons He is said to be seriously ill after a stroke at his home in Florida. The legendary, magnificent saxophone star of Bruce Springsteen’s E Street Band has had health complications in the past and overcome them. But this situation, as described to me this evening, sounds pretty dire. I am told that members of the E Street Band were advised to get down to Florida as soon as possible. Clarence has a history with Springsteen going back to the early 70s. It’s his trademark sound on “Rosalita” and other songs from “The Wild, the Innocent and the E Street Shuffle” that established Bruce, and moved him from singer songwriter to R&B aficionado. By the time Clarence’s sax is heard on “Born to Run” in 1975, Springsteen’s entire trajectory is changed. More recently, in addition to working with Bruce, Clarence can be heard all over Lady Gaga’s “Born this Way” album.

Exclusive: Springsteen Sax Man Clarence Clemons Said Seriously Ill from Stroke | Showbiz411

here's hoping the big man recovers. great saxman... nice person.... cornerstone of the E-Street Band.

oh no.

clarence-clemens.jpg

i woke up to a text from my brother telling me about it and i got so upset i can't fall back to sleep. :(

we met clarence years ago. he was so nice and warm. i hope he ends up ok but it sounds pretty bad.

he played football before e street, right?

I just saw that he had been offered a trial by the Cleveland Browns, but was in a car accident the day before and was injured which pretty much ended his football career.

Funny how the fates played out.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XXWVSussrt0]YouTube - ‪Bruce Springsteen - Rosalita (Album Version)‬‏[/ame]

Wow. That makes me sad. His son, Clarence Clemons, was friends with my brother back in the 80's. I'm not sure if they've kept in touch.

My first Springsteen concert was at the Carlton Theater in Red Bank. (now the Count Basie theater). I was in junior high. The last time I saw them was the first real date with my husband. Springsteen and the E-Street band has been a big part of my life.

I know what I will be listening to today.

Wow. That makes me sad. His son, Clarence Clemons, was friends with my brother back in the 80's. I'm not sure if they've kept in touch.

My first Springsteen concert was at the Carlton Theater in Red Bank. (now the Count Basie theater). I was in junior high. The last time I saw them was the first real date with my husband. Springsteen and the E-Street band has been a big part of my life.

I know what I will be listening to today.

my first show was Madison Square Garden 1985. I was so blown away I arranged for tickets for the following night while I was there. I'm 65 shows and more than 25 years down the line and I don't think I'll ever forget the first time I saw Clarence do the sax solo in Jungleland live.

Oh man, this has ruined my Monday. I pray for his recovery.

Springstein and the E Street are a fundamental part of my childhood. First band I ever saw live - with my Dad. LOL. He passed his passion for Springstein on to his kids.

Way cool. I may have been at that MSG show in 1985. Small world.

My mother got me six tickets for my first show. I had spent 3 weeks at YMCA camp, and the day she picked up me and my friends at camp, she said "Have you girls ever heard of Bruce Springsteen? I saw a bunch of teens in line at the Carlton and they told me he was very good, so I got you six tickets" Best mom ever!

My mother got me six tickets for my first show. I had spent 3 weeks at YMCA camp, and the day she picked up me and my friends at camp, she said "Have you girls ever heard of Bruce Springsteen? I saw a bunch of teens in line at the Carlton and they told me he was very good, so I got you six tickets" Best mom ever!

What a great Mom! We love her!!!

The one and only time I saw him was in 1974 at Camden Community College. The auditorium only held like 700 people. They had two albums out at that time and were popular in only two states; New Jersey and Texas. Supposedly bootleg tapes exist from that concert. IMO, the most creative stuff they did is on the first two albums.

Damn that man plays a mean sax. Made the E Street sound

Wish him well

totally! i was dragged by one of my friends. i didn't like his voice at the time, (though i liked thunder road and btw) so wasn't really interested.

it was kinda like what it must be like to find religion. lol.

may well have been at the same show!

The one and only time I saw him was in 1974 at Camden Community College. The auditorium only held like 700 people. They had two albums out at that time and were popular in only two states; New Jersey and Texas. Supposedly bootleg tapes exist from that concert. IMO, the most creative stuff they did is on the first two albums.

that was when david sanctious was his pianist. the sound was very jazzy and bluesy. the second side of wild, innocent and the e street shuffle is the most perfect album side ever. i had to wait 58 shows to hear incident on 57th street live.

Clarence is a hell of a nice guy. He was dating a girl in our circle, before the first album was released, who lived over a head shop in Long Branch called "Bits And Pieces." The ling were running off the pier and he came in with a bunch of then and made us all a fish dinner. I hope he recovers.

While we wait for an official statement about Clarence Clemons' condition following his stroke, good news has been trickling in. A "close friend" of the E Street Band saxophonist recently told the Springsteen fanzine Backstreets that things that his condition is improving. "Yesterday, it did not look good at all," the source said. "Today . . . miracles are happening. His vital signs are improving. He's responsive. His eyes are welling up when we're talking to him. He was paralyzed on his left side, but now he's squeezing with his left hand. This is the best news we've heard since [the stroke] happened — it's nothing short of miraculous. The next five days will still be critical. But he's a fighter."

Clarence Clemons Reportedly Showing Signs of Recovery | Rolling Stone Music

Here's hoping he makes a full recovery... :eusa_pray:

Forum List

Back