Did you vote for Obama with Affirmative Action in mind?

]Did you vote for Obama with Affirmative Action in mind?

• Yes

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • No

• Maybe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other(Explain)

• Total voters

Mojo2

Gold Member
Oct 28, 2013
Did you vote for Obama with Affirmative Action in mind?

Yes

No

Maybe (WTF!!!??)

Other (Explain)

I'm watching "Earthquake Presents: From the Outhouse to the White House" on Netflix and I had a thought I'd never thhought before now.

Some voters cast their votes for Obama because he is Black.

But, some voters pulled the lever for Obama as a way of giving a deserving Black candidate who wasn't really qualified, a little extra help in achieving a better station in life than he might have had a chance of reaching without that affirmative act.

In the film of Black stand up comics performing in Washington, D.C. on the eve of the 2009 inauguration of Obama, they are talking about him as though he was the Messiah. But some comics' expressions about him made me think, "if Obama is the BEST qualified Black man in America to be POTUS, then Black Americans are still a long way from actually being qualified.

And if there weren't a sizable number of Affirmative Action votes cast for Obama he would have never been elected if you just look at his known shortcomings.

(No need for me to post them here. They are all over this forum and the internet.)

Mind you, I'm not talking about voting for him because he is Black, but voting for him because he's Black and unqualified and deserving of Affirmative Action, i.e. a little boost to help him achieve greater things.

There's a difference between voting for him because he is Black and voting for him as a matter of AA.

None of those comics should be proud of their ignorance. And I wonder how they feel about Obama now?

Some people voted for Obama because he's black AND because he was also the best candidate. One was the other and vice versa.

Some people vote for certain candidates because of totally artificial reasons. JFK was the first Catholic President. Of course there some Catholics who would've voted for him on that basis. Just like how evangelical and born again Christians voted for Dubya, since that's what religion he practices. A generation earlier, President Carter got votes from that same pool of people and for the same reason.

I personally did not vote for Obama with Affirmative Action in mind; I voted for him because he had a distinctly post-partisan smell about him, and I was right. I want the POTUS to be a person who governs from the center, and that's exactly what Obama does. He's been a tax-cutting, deficit-reducing, job-creating, less-warmongering President (at least with the military that is; the drone policy is another story). He's been a little center-right in some ways I don't like, but Affirmative Action or race was never given a moment's thought to me, because I don't really care what someone's race is as much as I care about if that candidate has vision and energy.

In the beginning, I was convenienced most of his votes were coming from African-American's who simply wanted to see him in office based off the color of his skin, since 2008 though, I have changed my views on the whole situation completely. The more and more I look under the microscope, I see that he really has substance, and it's actually easy to trust what he says, he has a ambitious attitude and really rubs off on most. Thus, I truly believed that progression would take place, but the real question is, has it? I will save that argument for another day.

Forum List

Back