Did Michelle Obama Send the Wrong Message With Obesity Comments?

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
humm, kids as props?

First Lady's Mention of Daughters While Discussing Obesity Triggers Debate
By HUMA KHAN
Feb. 5, 2010

Michelle Obama has earned accolades for making healthy living and eliminating childhood obesity a priority as first lady. But when it came down to personalizing the issue in relation to her daughters, the remarks touched a nerve with some, and praise from others.

Michelle Obama shares stories about her family during obesity campaign in Va.The first lady made the issue of healthy eating personal last week at an event in Alexandria, Va., where she kicked off a campaign addressing the issue of childhood obesity.

"We went to our pediatrician all the time," Obama said. "I thought my kids were perfect -- they are and always will be -- but he [the doctor] warned that he was concerned that something was getting off balance."

"I didn't see the changes. And that's also part of the problem, or part of the challenge. It's often hard to see changes in your own kids when you're living with them day in and day out," she added. "But we often simply don't realize that those kids are our kids, and our kids could be in danger of becoming obese. We always think that only happens to someone else's kid -- and I was in that position."

Related
WATCH: Childhood Obesity Rates on the RiseFLOTUS Promises "Ambitious" Childhood Obesity Program To ComePunch: First Lady on Balancing Work and Family: 'A Whole Lotta Guilt'Obama said the doctor suggested she first look at her daughters' body mass index (BMI). The minor changes she subsequently made in their daily habits, Obama said, made all the difference.

The first lady's comments have stirred up the Web and medical world, and have drawn both criticism and praise. Some say Obama should not have personalized the issue and brought up her daughters. Even if it is for the greater public good, critics say, it does not bode well for their self-image. Others say the first lady used that example only to connect to Americans who may find themselves in a similar position.

The first lady's office would not comment on the criticism.

read it all and comments.
Michelle Obama's Obesity Comments: Was Bringing in Malia, Sasha Wrong? - ABC News

Last edited:
No. I don't get parents treating their kids like special snowflakes. I don't see this as damaging to anyone. It shows people, including her children, that sometimes we miss things that are so close to us and it takes someone else pointing it out. I can't stand Michelle Obama. She is even more arrogant than her husband. However, her attitude as a mom is her one saving grace.

No. I don't get parents treating their kids like special snowflakes. I don't see this as damaging to anyone. It shows people, including her children, that sometimes we miss things that are so close to us and it takes someone else pointing it out. I can't stand Michelle Obama. She is even more arrogant than her husband. However, her attitude as a mom is her one saving grace.

I'm sorry, but if you can't see your kid getting fat then you have a bigger problem than just a fat kid.

I'm sorry, but if you can't see your kid getting fat then you have a bigger problem than just a fat kid.

Horseshit. Kids go through normal weight fluctuations as they develop. Apparently the doctor noticed a trend early on before it became a real problem and pointed it out to her.

humm, kids as props?
Hmmmmmm. A distinct departure from Hillary's famous admonition to leave Chelsea alone.

Nothing wrong with influencing one's children to stay active and eat a healthy diet, but care should be taken though to avoid inculcating the notion with regard to kids who are not really fat that they are 'fat.' The eating disorders anorexia and bulemia are not a bit easy to treat.

No, Michelle Obama did not send the wrong message. I think her statements were correct. You have to watch your childrens weight. You have to be like a Pediatrician.
Fat people need to stop being so sensitive.Loose some weight Fatso!!

Last edited:
American kids are fat and lazy. By personalizing it, the First Lady is saying we are all in this together. If she acted like most yuppie parents and held her children up as examples for others to follow, she would have been out of line

Horseshit. Kids go through normal weight fluctuations as they develop. Apparently the doctor noticed a trend early on before it became a real problem and pointed it out to her.

Obesity isn't a "normal weight fluctuation" and if you need a doctor to tell you that your kid is obese then you need to seek counseling yourself.

Another count to add to Obama's Articles of Impeachment. They do add up.

so, you think the constitution covers impeachment of a POTUS because his wife uses their kids in a personal example..........interesting.

Obesity isn't a "normal weight fluctuation" and if you need a doctor to tell you that your kid is obese then you need to seek counseling yourself.

Something tells me that either you don't have kids or you're not the primary care giver.

You've made quite the leap to them suddenly being obese.:lol:

Something tells me that either you don't have kids or you're not the primary care giver.

I have five children ages are 28, 21, 19, 18 and 18, the 19 yr. old is the only boy I have. My wife died giving birth to the twins so for 18+ years I've been the sole provider and primary care giver.

Another count to add to Obama's Articles of Impeachment. They do add up.

so, you think the constitution covers impeachment of a POTUS because his wife uses their kids in a personal example..........interesting.

Its not just that.....its
- He reads the teleprompter too much
- He hasn't released his birth certificate
- He took his wife to New York City for his anniversary
- He said people shouldn't spend their kids education fund on Vegas vacations
- He was on vacation when the underwear bomber hit

Collectively, all these things are grounds for impeachment

Isn't that the topic and Michelle's cause? Fact is, one cannot become obese without getting fat.

Isn't that the topic and Michelle's cause? Fact is, one cannot become obese without getting fat.

Hey chief, just keep taking shit out of context to suit your purpose. You're intentionally missing Michelle's observations and point in regard to her own children.

Obama's New Letter to his daughters:

Hey fatties, you're embarrassing your Mom, put down the donuts and do some sit ups. Look at your Mom's fine toned arms, maybe you should ladle soup with her at the nearest shelter or help her plant some more magical vegetables

Forum List

Back