Did Clarence Thomas cheat on his taxes?

Supreme Court: Justice Clarence Thomas reportedly failed to report wife's income - latimes.com

Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas failed to report his wife's income from a conservative think tank on financial disclosure forms for at least five years, the watchdog group Common Cause said Friday.

Between 2003 and 2007, Virginia Thomas, a longtime conservative activist, earned $686,589 from the Heritage Foundation, according to a Common Cause review of the foundation's IRS records. Thomas failed to note the income in his Supreme Court financial disclosure forms for those years, instead checking a box labeled "none" where "spousal noninvestment income" would be disclosed.

I guess it wasnt taxes but disclosure information.

In other words he hid her activities from the American people so he would not have to recuse himself from cases.

Lying to the American people just warms the cockles of your heart dont it.

A question and an answer is not a lie.

Even you guys make mistakes , I corrected mine as soon as I realised the mistake

Perfectly willing to let a lie stand I see. Get the mods to change the thread title.

He broke the rules and you are defending him because hes right wing.

Once again, you haven't even bothered to read the article:

But Steven Lubet, an expert on judicial ethics at Northwestern University School of Law, said such an infraction was unlikely to result in a penalty. Although unfamiliar with the complaint about Thomas' forms, Lubet said failure to disclose spousal income "is not a crime of any sort, but there is a potential civil penalty" for failing to follow the rules. He added: "I am not aware of a single case of a judge being penalized simply for this."

The Supreme Court is "the only judicial body in the country that is not governed by a set of judicial ethical rules," Gillers said.

A spokesman for the Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts, which oversees the financial disclosures, could not be reached Friday night to comment on what actions could be taken. In most cases, judges simply amend their forms when an error is discovered....

(snip)

The allegation comes days after Common Cause filed a letter requesting that the Justice Department investigate whether Justices Thomas and Antonin Scalia should have disqualified themselves from hearing a campaign finance case after they reportedly attended a private meeting sponsored by Charles and David Koch, billionaire philanthropists who fund conservative causes...

1. If the disclosure forms are inaccurate, Thomas will have to amend them - that appears to be the required process.

2. The allegations are a smear job to try to overturn the Citizens United ruling by forcing a disqualification of Thomas.

In the case, Citizens United vs. Federal Election Commission, the court ruled that corporate and union funds could be spent directly on election advertising.

How did you go from checking a box on a disclosure form to cheating on his taxes? The disclosure form is not a 1040.

While I think he is really cool (I read his memoirs and I like him even better) I do think he has some explaining to do, especially in any cases to which his wife's organization wrote an amicus brief.

Given his long standing views, I don't there is an issue with his wife being paid for pillow talk.

Supreme Court: Justice Clarence Thomas reportedly failed to report wife's income - latimes.com

Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas failed to report his wife's income from a conservative think tank on financial disclosure forms for at least five years, the watchdog group Common Cause said Friday.

Between 2003 and 2007, Virginia Thomas, a longtime conservative activist, earned $686,589 from the Heritage Foundation, according to a Common Cause review of the foundation's IRS records. Thomas failed to note the income in his Supreme Court financial disclosure forms for those years, instead checking a box labeled "none" where "spousal noninvestment income" would be disclosed.

I guess it wasnt taxes but disclosure information.

In other words he hid her activities from the American people so he would not have to recuse himself from cases.

Lying to the American people just warms the cockles of your heart dont it.

Wow.

Financial disclosure forms are not taxes. This is so far from being true that calling it lying is an insult to all the lairs of the world.

Apparently you did not read your own link.

But Steven Lubet, an expert on judicial ethics at Northwestern University School of Law, said such an infraction was unlikely to result in a penalty. Although unfamiliar with the complaint about Thomas' forms, Lubet said failure to disclose spousal income "is not a crime of any sort, but there is a potential civil penalty" for failing to follow the rules. He added: "I am not aware of a single case of a judge being penalized simply for this."
The Supreme Court is "the only judicial body in the country that is not governed by a set of judicial ethical rules," Gillers said.

So because you met him and agree with his politics its ok for him to lie to the people?

You lie all the time. Seriously, think about how you come cross.

He didn't cheat on his taxes, there was a lack of disclosure on a job held by his WIFE. Thomas is a conservative, he votes conservative, his wife's job (among others) is at a conservative group. He isn't going to decide with a conservative opinion because of some job his wife has. Again, was there even one situation where he decided a case that involved her employer? No.

Because I have met him, I understand that he is highly principled and well grounded in how the average American lives. He and his wife are highly intelligent. We are a fortunate nation to have them. It was not a lie, but an omission. One that has not been proven to be deliberate in any way.

It goes far beyond taxes. Im not saying this is the absolute truth but it deserves a look into.

Liberal nonprofit Common Cause is asking the Department of Justice to investigate Justices Clarence Thomas and Antonin Scalia in relation to the Citzens United Supreme Court case, arguing that their decision in the case raised "serious questions about the impartiality of" both justices.

"It appears both justices have participated in political strategy sessions, perhaps while the case was pending, with corporate leaders whose political aims were advanced by the decision," writes Common Cause President and CEO Bob Edgar in a petition to the Justice Department filed this week.
Liberal Group: Investigate Scalia and Thomas Over Citizens United Conflicts of Interest - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

This just proves you are a partisan idiot. I am willing to bet right now, without any researching at all, that judges routinely attend meetings like this on both sides of the aisle. Should we look up all the judges that attending meetings sponsored by liberals and demand they recuse themselves from any decisions involving liberals, or simply require all judges to become social pariahs and recluses?

how sad you refuse to hold your own side to any standards you would hold the other side to

LMFAO!!!!!

That is rich TM.

It REALLY is!!!

You owe me a new monitor!!!!!!!

You can't hold TM responsible because you were drinking something while reading her posts. You should know that sooner or later she will make you laugh.

(See that TM, I am defending you from being held responsible for something beyond your control. You cannot help it if your brainwashing makes you say ridiculously funny things like that.)

Perfectly willing to let a lie stand I see. Get the mods to change the thread title.

how can a question be a lie?

Oh, I can have so much fun with this. If questions aren't lies.....

Standby for Romper Room.

People get accused of lying all the time when I ask questions. One I can think of right off the top of my head is, "Why is Obama hiding his birth certificate?" Just a question, yet obviously a lie.

Did Clarence Thomas cheat on his taxes?

Who knows? I bet he cheated on his wife.

Anyone find a can of Coke and a lost pubic hair?

How did you go from checking a box on a disclosure form to cheating on his taxes? The disclosure form is not a 1040.

While I think he is really cool (I read his memoirs and I like him even better) I do think he has some explaining to do, especially in any cases to which his wife's organization wrote an amicus brief.

Given his long standing views, I don't there is an issue with his wife being paid for pillow talk.

1. Take microscope slide worth of a TM brain cell.
2. Insert into blender with news article.
3. Press separate entirely from reality.
4. Run for one hour.

How about you elaborate on the actual EFFECTS of the omission and how it relates to A SINGLE decision that he has made? Or is it that you found an error and are trying to persecute someone because they are not a democrat? Errors happen and unless you can show that it was purposefully done or that there were nefarious motivations/results then your blathering is a non starter.

Forum List

Back