Democrat Crossover Votes

lolita715 said:
to bad the majority of congress is republican

And in two years there will be another vote for the entire Congress, there is no gaurantee it would stay that way. Reinstitution of the Draft would insure a Democrat Congress and an end to the Agenda of the current Administration. There are many Democrats that support the Draft, and so far only Democrats have even put the idea forward because they know that it would insure a Democrat Congress.

Simply, there will be no draft.

no1tovote4 said:
And in two years there will be another vote for the entire Congress, there is no gaurantee it would stay that way. Reinstitution of the Draft would insure a Democrat Congress and an end to the Agenda of the current Administration. There are many Democrats that support the Draft, and so far only Democrats have even put the idea forward because they know that it would insure a Democrat Congress.

Simply, there will be no draft.
how are we going to countiue to fight without enough troops???

lolita715 said:
how so, there are no troops left. How is that stupid???

What do you mean? There are more than 4 million in the Active Duty and Reserves together. There are troops that have not been moved from Germany and Japan, the UK, Australia, and so forth. Your ignorance is showing here. And it appears that your ignorance is deliberate.

lolita715 said:
how are we going to countiue to fight without enough troops???

Enlistment in the Active Duty service is up, it is only the Reserves and the Guard that are having an issue at this time. By increasing the number of Active duty troops even that will be resolved as the Reserves and Guard could return to the duty that they are designed for.

Facts and Sources on the strained military:

"A study commissioned by Donald Rumsfeld" showed that "the U.S. has 'inadequate total numbers' of troops to sustain operations in Iraq at the current pace". (Paul Krugman, "Feeling the Draft", NY Times 10/19/04)
"Since 9/11, the number of active-duty and reservist troops deployed overseas has shot up from 203,000 to 500,000." (Mark Thompson, "Does the U.S. Need a Draft?", Time Magazine, 10/18/04)
"Commanders in Iraq have asked for more troops... but there are no more troops to send. The manpower shortage is so severe that training units ...which specializes in teaching other units the ways of battle are being sent into combat." (Paul Krugman, "Feeling the Draft", NY Times 10/19/04)
"All the Army's combat brigades have been dispatched into war zones over the past two years; some have already gone twice." (Mark Thompson, "Does the U.S. Need a Draft?", Time Magazine, 10/18/04)
"Thousands of reservists and National Guard members are no longer serving voluntarily: they have been kept in the military past their agreed terms of enlistment by 'stop loss' orders." (Paul Krugman, "Feeling the Draft", NY Times 10/19/04)
"The demands of war in Iraq and Afghanistan have forced some units to remain on a constant combat footing, sharply reducing the recuperation and retraining period that military experts say is essential to maintain a first-rate Army." (Mark Thompson, "Does the U.S. Need a Draft?", Time Magazine, 10/18/04)
"Some military experts fear that if a crisis erupted with Iran and North Korea, the U.S. would be unable to credibly threaten the use of force because of current obligations in Iraq and Afghanistan. 'We can't respond to another major crisis right now,' says retired Army General Barry McCaffrey." (Mark Thompson, "Does the U.S. Need a Draft?", Time Magazine, 10/18/04)

lolita715 said:
Facts and Sources on the strained military:

"A study commissioned by Donald Rumsfeld" showed that "the U.S. has 'inadequate total numbers' of troops to sustain operations in Iraq at the current pace". (Paul Krugman, "Feeling the Draft", NY Times 10/19/04)
"Since 9/11, the number of active-duty and reservist troops deployed overseas has shot up from 203,000 to 500,000." (Mark Thompson, "Does the U.S. Need a Draft?", Time Magazine, 10/18/04)
"Commanders in Iraq have asked for more troops... but there are no more troops to send. The manpower shortage is so severe that training units ...which specializes in teaching other units the ways of battle are being sent into combat." (Paul Krugman, "Feeling the Draft", NY Times 10/19/04)
"All the Army's combat brigades have been dispatched into war zones over the past two years; some have already gone twice." (Mark Thompson, "Does the U.S. Need a Draft?", Time Magazine, 10/18/04)
"Thousands of reservists and National Guard members are no longer serving voluntarily: they have been kept in the military past their agreed terms of enlistment by 'stop loss' orders." (Paul Krugman, "Feeling the Draft", NY Times 10/19/04)
"The demands of war in Iraq and Afghanistan have forced some units to remain on a constant combat footing, sharply reducing the recuperation and retraining period that military experts say is essential to maintain a first-rate Army." (Mark Thompson, "Does the U.S. Need a Draft?", Time Magazine, 10/18/04)
"Some military experts fear that if a crisis erupted with Iran and North Korea, the U.S. would be unable to credibly threaten the use of force because of current obligations in Iraq and Afghanistan. 'We can't respond to another major crisis right now,' says retired Army General Barry McCaffrey." (Mark Thompson, "Does the U.S. Need a Draft?", Time Magazine, 10/18/04)

Every one of these quotes are opinion and not fact. There are differences of opinion, and it is likely that these opinions are wrong.

no1tovote4 said:
Every one of these quotes are opinion and not fact. There are differences of opinion, and it is likely that these opinions are wrong.
Everyone is kidding themselves if you dont think there is a problem, Im not saying that we will for sure have a draft, but it is a big posiblilty

freeandfun1 said:
First off, our troops have almost always been stationed overseas.
your military, other nations, as an irishman the whole concept is alien to me.

hey starship troopers is on the telly overhere at the moment!!

Lolita, since you are obviously ignorant about about the military, I'll tell you some great ways to lessen the burden of American troops:

1. Redeploy (that means bring home) American troops from Bosnia.

2. Redeploy American troops from Kosovo.

3. Redeploy American troops from Korea.

4. Redeploy American troops from Europe.

Rumsfield is already doing #3 and 4. #1 and 2, hopefully, will follow. Here's a couple more for you:

5. Train Iraqi troops to defend their own country.

6. Allow the Iraqis to elect a government.

7. Kill more terrorists in Iraq.

Bush has been doing these things, and will continue to do so.

lolita715 said:
Everyone is kidding themselves if you dont think there is a problem, Im not saying that we will for sure have a draft, but it is a big posiblilty

Oh, I can agree it is a possibility, but not a certitude and definitely not likely.

But it would be a more likely possibility with Kerry in office. Regardless of what you may think many people would leave the military at the end of their contracts just because of his election. The military is largely Republican and have a distrust of their treatment under Democrat Presidents. There were many (me being one) that left as soon as they could after the election of Clinton, and this would continue after the election of Kerry. The need would be greater more quickly. We can see if there is a need later, and if there is I am sure a Lame-Duck President would not hesitate to do it. However, I think it would be after the 2 year Congressional elections if it were to happen at all.

Redz said:
your military, other nations, as an irishman the whole concept is alien to me.

hey starship troopers is on the telly overhere at the moment!!

Crappy movie!

Anyway, we are overseas because of other nations. Think about it. We would not be in Europe, if Europe could have taken care of themselves and we would not be in Korea, if it were not for the UN. So blame the world, not the USA.

freeandfun1 said:
Crappy movie!

Anyway, we are overseas because of other nations. Think about it. We would not be in Europe, if Europe could have taken care of themselves and we would not be in Korea, if it were not for the UN. So blame the world, not the USA.
great film!
in europe because of something that happened half a century ago. in korea to contain north korea and to have an influence on china. look your countrys troops represent your countrys interests, not the worlds

Redz said:
great film!
in europe because of something that happened half a century ago. in korea to contain north korea and to have an influence on china. look your countrys troops represent your countrys interests, not the worlds

Pat Muldoon is a friend of mine and I still say it is a dumb movie. The only good thing that movie did for his career was introduce him to Denise.

Now, again, WWII, Kosovo - both European problems that the Euros requested our help in. Not our interest.

North Korea - UN operation which the US had to prosecute cuz the Euro weenies couldn't.

Study history..... PLEASE!

Redz said:
great film!

No kidding? I can't think of whose interests they should represent other than our country's. We pay for them, they should support our interests. :D

no1tovote4 said:
they should support our interests. :D
yeah i agree, but some people over there see America as a force for good in the world, its a force for american interests, thats realistic and its the way it should be, all that other stuff is just spin

no1tovote4 said:
Our county is about 65% Republican to 35% Democrat. However the results of our county were about 15% for Kerry. There were many Democrat Crossover votes. What is it that they are missing that even Democrats will not vote for their Party?

I hate to interrupt and go back to the original post, but there's a little tid-bit from my county that I thought was interesting.

For the first time ever, two Republican candidates won a contested election. The Republican challenger for County Sheriff unseated the incumbent Democrat by about 1,000 votes, and Justice of the Peace precinct 2 (not my precinct) went to the Republican as well. The District Attorney is also a Republican, but he switched parties a few years ago and has been running unopposed ever since.

This is a pretty big deal fo a county that has been traditionally Democrat for years. I've seen a slow turning and it looks like it's in full swing.

Jimmyeatworld said:
I hate to interrupt and go back to the original post, but there's a little tid-bit from my county that I thought was interesting.

For the first time ever, two Republican candidates won a contested election. The Republican challenger for County Sheriff unseated the incumbent Democrat by about 1,000 votes, and Justice of the Peace precinct 2 (not my precinct) went to the Republican as well. The District Attorney is also a Republican, but he switched parties a few years ago and has been running unopposed ever since.

This is a pretty big deal fo a county that has been traditionally Democrat for years. I've seen a slow turning and it looks like it's in full swing.

Wow! Congratulations to the Repubs in your county.

The Libertarians are non-existent in my county (there actually is no choice to register that way on the registration in my county), but one won the county treasurer position, now that gives me hope.

Forum List

Back