Death and Dying

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Sky Dancer, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    Buddhists think about death every day.

Death is neither depressing nor exciting; it is simply a fact of life…I often think of the words of the great Buddhist master Padmasambhava: ―Those who believe they have plenty of time get ready only at the time of death. Then they are ravaged by great regret. But isn‘t it far too late?‖ What more chilling commentary on the modern world could there be than that most people die unprepared for death, as they have lived, unprepared for life?

To practice death is to practice freedom. A man who has learned how to die has unlearned how to be a slave (Montaigne).

Death is a vast mystery but there are two things we can say about it: It is absolutely certain that we will die, and it is uncertain when or how we will die.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  2. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    That's great, Sky.

Of course, so do Christians.

3. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    Feel free to elaborate, Allie. I'm no longer commenting on Christians or Christianity. I will speak about what I know, and that's it.

One practice I have participated in is to rehearse for dying. To imagine all the possible ways I might die.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  4. chesswarsnow

chesswarsnow "SASQUATCH IS WATCHING"

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +638
    Sorry bout that,

1. I prefer the Christian way of dieing, not to die *at all*, we simply pass from this life and live eternally with Jesus in heaven.
    2. Death is like a passage way, we pass through it, and live anew on the other side.
    3. Having Mansions prepared for us, even though we were raised in total desitutuion.
    4. Or raised in Mansions on earth, makes no difference, those who call on Jesus shall find their rewards in heaven.
    5. All other religions in my veiw are sorely lacking in its concept on death.
    6. Sky Dancer, you can at least give us the modern break down of what Budda teaches now, in this day and age can you not?

Regards,
    SirJamesofTexas

5. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,404
    Death is not about death, but more about life.

Live every moment as if it is your last. Tell the ones that you love, you love them.

And just an aside sky. Ever been close to being dead? You get a different perspective on life.

6. zzzz

zzzz Just a regular American

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +429
    I like to correlate of our existence to the butterfly.

A butterfly lays it eggs (Pregnancy in humans) and hatches into a Caterpillar. The Caterpillar (Our lives here on earth) lives a short life and then transforms into a pupa. The pupa (Our death stage) through metamorphosis forms into the butterfly. For us, our metamorphosis transforms our existence from the death stage (for we are only physically dead not spiritually) to eternal life.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  7. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    One of the great things about death is that it is one of those things that one doesn't have to prepare for.

Death is very democratic.

Everybody gets an equal share of it, and there's no testing, fees or licenses required to join the club of the dead.

Life your life as if you know you're going to die eventually and that'spretty much all the preparation you'll need.

Master Padmasambhava's suggestion that one must prepare for death sounds sage, but what does it mean, exactly?

8. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    Are you asking me what the Buddha teaches about death or how a Buddhist prepares for dying?

9. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    Yes, I have been close to dying on more than one occasion.

10. mudwhistle

mudwhistle Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +26,230
    It's been often said that if you stare death in the face and laugh that you're admirable.

I think to do so is crazy.

I've stared death in the face and discovered I had a pucker-factor of about 9.

Fear of death means you're alive.

Dwelling on death means you might be a liberal.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011