DC's Minimum Wage Really Does Cost Jobs At Walmart

every person deserves a living wage.

Yet none of these laws actually guarantee a person a living wage. All they do is ban jobs that aren't worth that much.

What part of "Every Person Deserves" are you having trouble with?

When I was stationed in SD, we hadn't had any raises in 3 years. Not Cost of Living. Meanwhile things kept going up and we were slowly slipping into oblivion. To make it up to us, we received a whopping 12% COL, This brought us up to where we should have been. What comes next? Everything went up 12%. That includes breads, meat, gas, rent, heating oil, electricity, the whole works. We ended up losing money because we were not 2 tax levels higher. Damned, Corporations just got richer at our expense and we ended up with less than before.

Meanwhile, the Civilian populance was devastated. Min Wage didn't go up at all. But they had to pay the same things we did.

I have not been a proponent for just raising the Minimum Wage by itself. We also need to lock up some greedy Corporate Leaders if they try to keep even a bigger piece of the pie. Greed should be illegal. It used to be. In 1946, Truman locked a few of them up. And FDR also lock a bunch of them away. Back in those days, there was very little difference between Truman and Eisenhower except one had an R after his name and the other had a D. In the 70s, both parties were hijacked by the Extremists and it stands that way today.

The Extremists from both sides reap huge profits and keep grabbing a bigger piece of the pie. The Pie is only so big. So each time they grab a bigger piece, it has to come from the other pieces that continue to get smaller.

Capitalism was never designed to be left to itself. In the 80s, the checks and balances were removed and the Capitalists went wild. The new factories were closed, good paying jobs were lost in order to ship those jobs overseas. Take a good look at China right now. There a days that the pollution is so bad that people can't go outside. Shades of Pittsburg before they cleaned it up. Cleaning up Pittsburg didn't cost one single job but the Corporations all made the claim it would. Instead, they got a city that people didn't get as many respiratory diseases.

Greed doesn't always make the most money in the long run. It does in the short term. We need to address the greed if we want to raise the min wage to a living wage or the Greed Factor will cause everything to raise and those in the 15+ wage jobs will be hurt severely. Now, what can you suggest we do?

We also need to lock up some greedy Corporate Leaders if they try to keep even a bigger piece of the pie. Greed should be illegal.

I don't care who you are, that's funny right there.

every person deserves a living wage.

Yet none of these laws actually guarantee a person a living wage. All they do is ban jobs that aren't worth that much.

What part of "Every Person Deserves" are you having trouble with?

What part of "all that happens is they cause people to be unemployed" are you having trouble with?

You can't force people to pay others, what you define a "living wage". The result is, they are unemployed.

I can see that you doing nothing but strawman and trolling. The Majority of the Population no longer buys your BS. Get used to it. And at one point, we MUST start penalizing companies that moved the jobs over seas and rewarding those that keep the manufacturing jobs here. If not, ,the Middle class seems to be getting richer only because you have to make even more to be considered middle class as the middle class is dying from the bottom up. At some point, you are going to be below the middle class since it might take a millionaire to be considered middle class at that point. I remember when Middle Class made 2.25 and hour and seemed to have more disposable income than someone making 15 an hour does today.

You have not given one solution other than give more tax breaks to the top .2%. And that has proven to be incorrect due to the greed factor. That is why we are where we are today. This is why my 30k a year retirement income falls way short where it should be in spending power. I see people trying to make it on half that income and really have trouble seeing how they can do it. I did that for a year and a half and it's more than a little challenging. But I knew if I held on long enough that it would come to an end. They can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. If they do, it's going to be an oncoming train about to hit them.

I have given you my ideas of fixes and you have yet to address any of the problems without strawman or trolling.

Have a nice day even if others won't be having them.

And at one point, we MUST start penalizing companies that moved the jobs over seas and rewarding those that keep the manufacturing jobs here.

You want to cut corporate taxes? You greedy Republican!!! Are you Donald Trump?

Good! I hope every fkn walmart in the country and fkn world closes. Wal mart has plenty of money to pay ppl and make our economy stronger but just wont pay.
Gov should attack policy of that nature.

Good! I hope every fkn walmart in the country and fkn world closes. Wal mart has plenty of money to pay ppl and make our economy stronger but just wont pay.

So when 2.2 million people are unemployed, earning nothing..... You think this is great dooming people to starvation and impoverishment?

See you people on the left always claim to care about your fellow man, while you destroy their lives. Brilliant.

I'm retired. I went to college and got a degree. Scraping by working low wage jobs is no way to live and frankly one cannot live comfortably on sh#t wages like Walmart pays.
That's the point. Those jobs are not intended for someone to "live comfortably". In fact, the jobs are intended to supply a service to Walmart that is worth more than the cost of the job's wages. That's it.

Why do you hate poor people so much?

What they won't do is what you think they should do. You're another one that determines right and wrong when it comes to money that isn't yours based on whether or not they do it your way.

Typical Liberal that wants government to force a business to do it the way bleeding hearts who wouldn't help someone with their own money if the life depended on it.

People are really believing Walmart jobs are good jobs. Unreal. You can't really believe that. God what a horrible fate.
If you're a teenager trying to get some real world work experience while you're still living at home, it's a good job. If you're a retiree who just wants something to do that generates a little spending money, it's a good job. If you're the sole bread winner for a family of four, it's not a good job. Get the picture?

Thanks Alice

Wal-Mart: It Came, It Conquered, Now It's Packing Up and Leaving

The Town’n Country grocery in Oriental, North Carolina, a local fixture for 44 years, closed its doors in October after a Wal-Mart store opened for business. Now, three months later -- and less than two years after Wal-Mart arrived -- the retail giant is pulling up stakes, leaving the community with no grocery store and no pharmacy.

Though mom-and-pop stores have steadily disappeared across the American landscape over the past three decades as the mega chain methodically expanded, there was at least always a Wal-Mart left behind to replace them. Now the Wal-Marts are disappearing, too.

“I was devastated when I found out. We had a pharmacy and a perfectly satisfactory grocery store. Maybe Wal-Mart sold apples for a nickel less,” said Barb Venturi, mayor pro tem for Oriental, with a population of about 900. “If you take into account what no longer having a grocery store does to property values here, it is a significant impact for us.”

More:

Thanks Alice

The Town’n Country grocery in Oriental, North Carolina, a local fixture for 44 years, closed its doors in October after a Wal-Mart store opened for business. Now, three months later -- and less than two years after Wal-Mart arrived -- the retail giant is pulling up stakes, leaving the community with no grocery store and no pharmacy.

Though mom-and-pop stores have steadily disappeared across the American landscape over the past three decades as the mega chain methodically expanded, there was at least always a Wal-Mart left behind to replace them. Now the Wal-Marts are disappearing, too.

“I was devastated when I found out. We had a pharmacy and a perfectly satisfactory grocery store. Maybe Wal-Mart sold apples for a nickel less,” said Barb Venturi, mayor pro tem for Oriental, with a population of about 900. “If you take into account what no longer having a grocery store does to property values here, it is a significant impact for us.”

More:

Isn't this EXACTLY what most Walmart haters want to see happen, Walmart shutting down stores? I mean, pick a horse and stay on it, cause you look silly trying to ride two of them heading in different directions.

People are really believing Walmart jobs are good jobs. Unreal. You can't really believe that. God what a horrible fate.
If you're a teenager trying to get some real world work experience while you're still living at home, it's a good job. If you're a retiree who just wants something to do that generates a little spending money, it's a good job. If you're the sole bread winner for a family of four, it's not a good job. Get the picture?

In fact, if you are a convicted felon, and can't get a job anywhere else, and this is the best way to feed your family, it's still a good job. Walmart has tuition reimbursement, management training, and a larger career ladder, that even a convicted felon can climb, which isn't possible elsewhere.

Walmart is a very good job, for even the least citizen compared to working at minimum wage, zero benefits, mom&pop shops.

But the left hates the poor, and wants to ruin everyone's life. If we're all screwed over in impoverishment..... then we have an egalitarian utopia at last! Joy.....

If you are an adult living in obama's economy it is a good job because it is a job. sometimes you have to take what you can get because working is better then not working. Let's also face it Walmart actually does promote from within which damn few companies do any more

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk

If you are an adult living in obama's economy it is a good job because it is a job. sometimes you have to take what you can get because working is better then not working. Let's also face it Walmart actually does promote from within which damn few companies do any more

Yah, the bring in a person that has never worked for Walley World. He goes to some type of support job until a job of at least Asst Manager becomes open. Not all start as cashiers or floor people. And each store has it's own brand of a "Mafia" that runs much of the promotions from the bottom just below Asst Managers. You only get promoted when this "Mafia" thinks you are one of them. That is, unless you have greased the Asst Managers and Above properly. It's highly political and the best rarely moves upward.

Yah, the bring in a person that has never worked for Walley World. He goes to some type of support job until a job of at least Asst Manager becomes open. Not all start as cashiers or floor people. And each store has it's own brand of a "Mafia" that runs much of the promotions from the bottom just below Asst Managers. You only get promoted when this "Mafia" thinks you are one of them. That is, unless you have greased the Asst Managers and Above properly. It's highly political and the best rarely moves upward.
Oh look at you cry because you would have to actually work for something

Oh really. I worked hard all my life until 3 years ago. I was hurt bad on a job. But I didn't accept any welfare of any kind. I retired twice and have two retirement incomes. You are so full of crap. I draw Military Retirement AND SSI. Now, keep talking out your ass.

In a number of companies, support positions exist specifically as stepping stones to management.

If management does not know, or consider you management material, then you will not be promoted up to those positions... again, because they want future managers in those positions.

Especially in low level positions, does the company even know you, or some other employee, wishes to be in management?

The fact you exist, and suck air, doesn't mean you want to move up the corporate ladder. If you don't let them know, they are not going to assume. Just because you have been there 3 years, doesn't mean you intend to be an executive, and the company isn't going to train someone for years, to have them leave for another company.

Lastly, while it may seem unfair that the "mafia" controls who is promoted, the fact is, if the positions were reversed, you would do the same.

You don't think so.... but that's because you have ever been in a management position, with another manager that you don't get along with.

I have been in situations, where I had to 'manage' with another person, and we didn't get along. It was a nightmare. All you need is to hire one manager that isn't on the same page with you, and the next 6 months in a non-stop nightmare, and I promise you, you'll have a promotion mafia making sure the next guy promoted is on the same page.

I know a girl who was working as a cashier, and all she did was tell her manager, she wished to be in management. They gave her some management duties. She did well at those for some months, and they offered her a position in their management training program. She accepted, and now several years later, she's district manager. $$$.

Oh really. I worked hard all my life until 3 years ago. I was hurt bad on a job. But I didn't accept any welfare of any kind. I retired twice and have two retirement incomes. You are so full of crap. I draw Military Retirement AND SSI. Now, keep talking out your ass.

Well here's one quick thought. The managers know a ton more about what people are saying on the floor, than you think they do.

If you are bad mouthing their promotion decisions, and calling them 'promotion mafia' and such... that's why you don't get promoted.

I know a guy right now, and not a single day goes by that he didn't complain and b!tch and moan about what the company does. Then he complains he doesn't get a raise. Well of course he doesn't get a raise. He bad mouths everything, and thinks he deserves a raise? You don't get a raise, while telling everyone how horrible the people who give raises, are.

People who whine and complain, create their own reasons for whining and complaining.... by whining and complaining.

I had a guy like that in my department once. I went to management, and had him moved out. He went to another department and was fired.

Try spending more time being thankful you have a job, instead of whining about what you don't have. You are more likely to get what you don't have, when you are thankful for what you do.

In a number of companies, support positions exist specifically as stepping stones to management.

If management does not know, or consider you management material, then you will not be promoted up to those positions... again, because they want future managers in those positions.

Especially in low level positions, does the company even know you, or some other employee, wishes to be in management?

The fact you exist, and suck air, doesn't mean you want to move up the corporate ladder. If you don't let them know, they are not going to assume. Just because you have been there 3 years, doesn't mean you intend to be an executive, and the company isn't going to train someone for years, to have them leave for another company.

Lastly, while it may seem unfair that the "mafia" controls who is promoted, the fact is, if the positions were reversed, you would do the same.

You don't think so.... but that's because you have ever been in a management position, with another manager that you don't get along with.

I have been in situations, where I had to 'manage' with another person, and we didn't get along. It was a nightmare. All you need is to hire one manager that isn't on the same page with you, and the next 6 months in a non-stop nightmare, and I promise you, you'll have a promotion mafia making sure the next guy promoted is on the same page.

I know a girl who was working as a cashier, and all she did was tell her manager, she wished to be in management. They gave her some management duties. She did well at those for some months, and they offered her a position in their management training program. She accepted, and now several years later, she's district manager. $$$.

In an ideal world. In case you don't know it, I have 5 years with Walmart and was a Department Manager for 2 years. I went to another store after a 10+ year break from Walmart. A couple of the Asst Managers wanted to help me back into management. It ran into the Store Mafia which was comprised of three department managers and a few sales associates. They felt threatened and went after me with a vingience. In the end, I didn't progress and they all were sent back to the minors and never trusted again. The damage was done. They didn't know I have a saying I live by, "Don't let the Bastards Win". One last time, one of them had me in front of Management. For the first time I clearly stated that "He is a liar" in that meeting. NO more beating around the bush. Even though that "Mafia" was disbanded another rose to take up the slack. I was offered a chance to progress but by then I was so fed up with Walmart I didn't want a thing to do with it. Plus, I was hurt on the job and that is a friggin nightmare all over again. I couldn't work for 2 years while my right arm healed. As the Doctor said, "That is probably one of the worst injuries you can have and still work for Walmart".

Counting my Walmart pay and my Military retirement, I made more than an asst manager. Yet the "Mafia" thought that I was like many others and "Had no Choice" but to work for Walmart. Yes, I was one of the goto people for hard work. Needless to say, I am not afraid to work hard. The whole thing left me and others like me to boycott Walmart, Not One Thin Dime More. They not only lost a decent worker but, what's worse, they lost a loyal customer.

And don't blame the economy on walmart going down like it is. Walmart has some of the best policies in the business but seems to find a way not to follow them resulting in harming the work force. And don't believe their PR. When a company has to run a crash PR campaign it because they are guilty as sin..

The closing of some of the "Neighborhood" stores is because they overbuilt. They placed these stores too close to successful Chains and even too close to their own superstores. They got greedy and wanted it all.

If I read you right, you have one of the management positions. Newsflash: I retired from the Military with the word Manager as the bulk of my job title. I also taught management. From my own experience and education, most Walmart "Managers" aren't worth the powder to blown them up with. Two of the most destructive I have seen was promoted quickly from Asst Manager to Co Manager (shift super) and now have their own stores. There are a lot of skeletins in their closets. When the new store manager tried to rehire me, I stated that most of the Walmart Managers, I would have flunked from my Management classes. I had enough of a good thing at that point and it was time to move on.

When I hear the company slogan, "Not Everyone should work for Walmart" it really pisses me off. I think everyone should spend some time working for Walmart to see how NOT to treat workers and the general public.

Like I said, I had enough of a good thing.

Well here's one quick thought. The managers know a ton more about what people are saying on the floor, than you think they do.

If you are bad mouthing their promotion decisions, and calling them 'promotion mafia' and such... that's why you don't get promoted.

I know a guy right now, and not a single day goes by that he didn't complain and b!tch and moan about what the company does. Then he complains he doesn't get a raise. Well of course he doesn't get a raise. He bad mouths everything, and thinks he deserves a raise? You don't get a raise, while telling everyone how horrible the people who give raises, are.

People who whine and complain, create their own reasons for whining and complaining.... by whining and complaining.

I had a guy like that in my department once. I went to management, and had him moved out. He went to another department and was fired.

Try spending more time being thankful you have a job, instead of whining about what you don't have. You are more likely to get what you don't have, when you are thankful for what you do.

I didn't express my thoughts while I worked for Walmart. I ride for the Brand. But the brand no longer rode for me. I FIRED Walmart. At that point, I was free to expess myself any way I wished. BTW, I started my own business and was quite successful. Enter the 3rd retirement. I make more retired than a Walmart Asst Manager does working his customary 48 hour work week. I am thankful for my own efforts and those that helped along the way. But Walmart isn't on that list since it just helps the Walton Kids only.

Thanks Alice

More:

Isn't this EXACTLY what most Walmart haters want to see happen, Walmart shutting down stores? I mean, pick a horse and stay on it, cause you look silly trying to ride two of them heading in different directions.

It destroyed all the small businesses that used to flourish. Now it's packing up and leaving those communities high & dry. But hey, it is Walmart. It is the epitome of the 'Evil Corporation.' So it shouldn't be surprising to anyone.

Forum List

Back