DC's Minimum Wage Really Does Cost Jobs At Walmart

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
Walmart has decided not to build some of the stores that it had said it would inWashington DC.

Snip

The reason Walmart isn’t going to open those new stores:

Evans said that, behind closed doors, Walmart officials were more frank about the reasons the company was downsizing. He said the company cited the District’s rising minimum wage, now at $11.50 an hour and possibly going to $15 an hour if a proposed ballot measure is successful in November. He also said a proposal for legislation requiring D.C. employers to pay into a fund for family and medical leave for employees, and another effort to require a minimum amount of hours for hourly workers were compounding costs and concerns for the retailer.

Higher minimum wages mean fewer jobs as companies that would have expanded do not. And note again that not only do the workers not gain those higher wages the consumers also lose out on their benefits.

The correct minimum wage is, as it always has been, $0 per hour, as once even the New York Times knew.

Snip

The positive effect on consumers is some 50 times the possibly negative effect on the workers’ wages. That’s an effect of such size that no reworking of the numbers is going to reverse the conclusion. Yes, low price goods aid consumers more than low wages hurt workers. This is not a belief, this is a fact.

DC's Minimum Wage Really Does Cost Jobs At Walmart

Fewer people being taught how to go on Medicaid and Food Stamps...Sounds good to me.

Fewer people being taught how to go on Medicaid and Food Stamps...Sounds good to me.

What the fuck you talking about? The stores they were going to open up was around 450 jobs. Where their is no FUCKING jobs.

The three stores that opened up in the D.C. area had like 5,000 applicants for only 300 jobs if memory serves me correctly.

What the fuck you talking about? The stores they were going to open up was around 450 jobs. Where their is no FUCKING jobs.

The three stores that opened up in the D.C. area had like 5,000 applicants for only 300 jobs if memory serves me correctly.

In case you were unaware, Walmart instructs their low wage employees how to apply for Medicaid and Food Stamps.
No Walmart jobs = no extra Middle Class Tax Payer money going to support low wage Walmart employees.
Smaller stores with less leeching government power will fill the gap.

In case you were unaware, Walmart instructs their low wage employees how to apply for Medicaid and Food Stamps.
No Walmart jobs = no extra Middle Class Tax Payer money going to support low wage Walmart employees.

In case you are unaware no small business filled that gap in D.C. you idiot.

Than tough. I don't need a Walmart in my area teaching people how to suck up more of my tax money.

Than tough. I don't need a Walmart in my area teaching people how to suck up more of my tax money.

Yea we know that liberals are anti business and rather have them on food stamps voting for democrats.

Also it is a myth if you raise minimum wage nationally the entitlements would go down. They would have to raise the threshold for the programs because they are still making Minimum wage and are still FUCKING POOR.

I live in DC -- have for 40 years -- and I live in a downtown neighborhood.

You are correct.

The Walmarts would have closed down other retail outlets losing over 450 jobs, as always happens.

Oakland minimum wage increase may be behind Walmart closure

Walmart has announced that it will be closing two Bay Area stores as part of a larger closing of 269 stores in the U.S. and South America. The company says either they didn't perform well enough or they didn't fit into long term planning. Customers aren't buying that theory.

Yea we know that liberals are anti business and rather have them on food stamps voting for democrats.

Also it is a myth if you raise minimum wage nationally the entitlements would go down. They would have to raise the threshold for the programs because they are still making Minimum wage and are still FUCKING POOR.

You are NOT addressing the root issue...
Our economic paradigm is FAILING if we have an entire class of people that DOES have it's income subsidized by ANOTHER class of higher paid workers via TAXATION.
And we all know how much Ideologues of the Conservative persuasion LOVE being taxed to support low wage workers.
And no, I'm not a Liberal, I simply see through the bullsh!t.

So all you're really advocating for is an increase in the number of working poor in the country.

Well, without the jobs they are sucking up MY tax money to pay the welfare.

Walmart's business plan is Super Walmarts.
I already have 2 within a 15 minute car drive.

The Walmarts would have closed down other retail outlets losing over 450 jobs, as always happens.

What other retail outlets?

The ones in Maryland? Virginia?

Seriously.

A band-aid is NOT the solution to a failing economic strategy.

A band-aid is NOT the solution to a failing economic strategy.

A band-aid? How about what we might term -- a start?

Inner city DC is a retail desert. Poor DC-- where the WalMarts were to be located -- is a total desert.

You people simply are ignorant about the conditions in DC.

Walmart has announced that it will be closing two Bay Area stores as part of a larger closing of 269 stores in the U.S. and South America. The company says either they didn't perform well enough or they didn't fit into long term planning. Customers aren't buying that theory.

Here's a map of the Walmart closings. Almost all are in the South, which are not high minimum wage states.

Busted! lol

Here’s a list and map of all the Walmart store closings in the US

Forum List

Back