Database errors?

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
When I try to open some threads lately I am getting some SQL errors. I just back out and open again and all works fine. Anyone else seeing this?

I reported the errors I was getting to vBulletin and they said I need to increase the sql partition on the server side (which my host would need to do) But that doesn't make sense as my database is only 25meg right now. If it was out of space posts would no longer get accepted and attachments would fail.

I'm waiting for more info, just figured I would ask in the meantime.

The other day this happened a couple of times, but did what you said, no biggy working fine now.

Jim, what DB engine is in use? Mysql or MSsql? Depending on the type of recordset and Sql cursor employed, many times temporary tables are created on disk.

What about server memory (RAM), depending again on the DB and the locking scheme in use, if any. Lock objects can require significant amounts of resources.

Just some ideas. Can you post some error messages ?

Hey Jim,

I did get one of the errors you were speaking of. I looked into the HTML Source and found the error "error 12 from Table Handler".

Jim, you might want to run a isamchk for ISAM databases(.ISM and .ISD), or myisamchk for MyISAM Databases(.MYI and .MYD) to makesure there is no table corruption.

Jim try running the perror utility. See if it returns "Cannot allocate memory". When Mysql is promised memory, and does not get it these errors can occur. It is very possible if you are using shared hosting that at times you are not getting the memory that MySql expects.

You can try starting mysqld with option --big-tables.

Let me Know.

Originally posted by eric
Jim, you might want to run a isamchk for ISAM databases(.ISM and .ISD), or myisamchk for MyISAM Databases(.MYI and .MYD) to makesure there is no table corruption.

Jim try running the perror utility. See if it returns "Cannot allocate memory". When Mysql is promised memory, and does not get it these errors can occur. It is very possible if you are using shared hosting that at times you are not getting the memory that MySql expects.

You can try starting mysqld with option --big-tables.

Let me Know.

Eric, the databases are MYI and MYD. I ran all the checks and there is presently no corruption. The issue is sporadic, so it's hard to pin down. The error is apparently something well known and documented though. I searched on vBulletins site and that of my provider and found many references, all of which point to space issues. They apparently need to increase the partition size on the SQL server we are pulling the database from.

I'm not 100% sure how to run the "perror utility". I no longer have phpmyadmin access, I'm using MySql Front to access the database remotely. Is this utility you speak of something that needs to be run locally on the server side? I am limited to an extent as they don't allow certain access for security reasons. That, and the fact that I'm no SQL expert to begin with. LOL

Thanks for the tips!

Eric, just read a bit about the "perror utility". Am I right in saying you need shell access to run this? If so, they don't allow us shell access or telnet access to their systems for "security reasons" as they put it!

Yes you do need shell access. Your provider does not allow telnet to the shell ?

I think it is time to talk to your provider maybe they can look at server logs for more info.

Forum List

Back