Cops are not soldiers ...

fncceo

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2016
A lot of people are making comparisons between cops and soldiers when it comes to life-threatening situations and while there are some similarities, in a deadly force scenario, they are totally different things.

1. Soldiers fight to destroy an enemy ... cops enforce laws in a civilian population.

2. Soldiers protect themselves by using overwhelming firepower ... cops must use the minimum amount of force proportionate to the objective. (If anything, cops are frequently at a firepower disadvantage in deadly force situations). Cops protect themselves with superior numbers and tactics.

3. If a soldier kills an enemy soldier, he's doing his job ... if a cop kills an offender, even an armed offender, he's subjected to a homicide investigation and a stigma that follows him for his entire career.

4. The Army cannot be sued or prosecuted for civilian casualties in the legitimate exercise of warfare ... police departments are open to civil litigation every time they do their job. This leads to very conflicting priorities for officers who are told to both protect themselves at all costs but also to prevent civilian casualties.

You don't want cops to be like soldiers. You don't want them rolling into neighborhoods with overwhelming firepower and inflicting acceptable rates of civilian casualties to suppress crime. You don't want cops calling in airstrikes or arty rounds to suppress a crack house.

Cops and soldiers are trained to deal with deadly force situations in very different ways and that's the way it should be.

Soldiers don't arrest you for weed either...

Speak to your legislator. The second it becomes legal, we stop making arrests.

Trust me, we do NOT need the extra paperwork.

A lot of people are making comparisons between cops and soldiers when it comes to life-threatening situations and while there are some similarities, in a deadly force scenario, they are totally different things.

1. Soldiers fight to destroy an enemy ... cops enforce laws in a civilian population.

2. Soldiers protect themselves by using overwhelming firepower ... cops must use the minimum amount of force proportionate to the objective. (If anything, cops are frequently at a firepower disadvantage in deadly force situations). Cops protect themselves with superior numbers and tactics.

3. If a soldier kills an enemy soldier, he's doing his job ... if a cop kills an offender, even an armed offender, he's subjected to a homicide investigation and a stigma that follows him for his entire career.

4. The Army cannot be sued or prosecuted for civilian casualties in the legitimate exercise of warfare ... police departments are open to civil litigation every time they do their job. This leads to very conflicting priorities for officers who are told to both protect themselves at all costs but also to prevent civilian casualties.

You don't want cops to be like soldiers. You don't want them rolling into neighborhoods with overwhelming firepower and inflicting acceptable rates of civilian casualties to suppress crime. You don't want cops calling in airstrikes or arty rounds to suppress a crack house.

Cops and soldiers are trained to deal with deadly force situations in very different ways and that's the way it should be.
Law enforcement is trained to negotiate if an armed gunman has hostages, however, they are also trained to go in, once the gunfire erupts, so as to attempt to stop the shooter from harming more people.

Law enforcement is trained to negotiate if an armed gunman has hostages, however, they are also trained to go in, once the gunfire erupts, so as to attempt to stop the shooter from harming more people.

That's the movies ... actual procedure is very different.

Cops are simply men and women who work enforcing the laws.....they're human like the rest of us and humans get afraid.

As in all cop investigations-----I wish the cops well-------IMHO---they
do the best they can

As in all cop investigations-----I wish the cops well-------IMHO---they
do the best they can
Listen, I'm no fan of cops. I'm black and any wrong move, my life could end under their control. But I feel for these guys, because the way we react in an instance, determines our true character. Some measure up, but 99.99% of us don't. They were scared and anyone thinking that fear should not equate in this instance, theyr' fooling themselves. That's the number one reason so many unarmed blacks are systematically murdered by cops...because cops FEAR FOR THEIR LIVES FIRST...THEN REACT!! This incident is no different...ya see, they don't like mf's that shoot back, that's why so many end up dead in the hands of white people, cause white people SHOOT BACK!!

I support raising the age to buy a rifle to 21 under one condition:

We raise the minimum age we expect these kids to fight and die for our country using a version of the exact same rifle to 21 as well.

If he can't use it in civilian life, he can't use it in the military.

Forum List

Back