Cops are not soldiers ...

A lot of people are making comparisons between cops and soldiers when it comes to life-threatening situations and while there are some similarities, in a deadly force scenario, they are totally different things.

1. Soldiers fight to destroy an enemy ... cops enforce laws in a civilian population.

2. Soldiers protect themselves by using overwhelming firepower ... cops must use the minimum amount of force proportionate to the objective. (If anything, cops are frequently at a firepower disadvantage in deadly force situations). Cops protect themselves with superior numbers and tactics.

3. If a soldier kills an enemy soldier, he's doing his job ... if a cop kills an offender, even an armed offender, he's subjected to a homicide investigation and a stigma that follows him for his entire career.

4. The Army cannot be sued or prosecuted for civilian casualties in the legitimate exercise of warfare ... police departments are open to civil litigation every time they do their job. This leads to very conflicting priorities for officers who are told to both protect themselves at all costs but also to prevent civilian casualties.

You don't want cops to be like soldiers. You don't want them rolling into neighborhoods with overwhelming firepower and inflicting acceptable rates of civilian casualties to suppress crime. You don't want cops calling in airstrikes or arty rounds to suppress a crack house.

Cops and soldiers are trained to deal with deadly force situations in very different ways and that's the way it should be.
Still defending rank cowardice, I see. When children are being murdered, you damned well better act, or carry the stigma of a coward for the rest of your life.

they may not have know IMMEDIATELY----be patient---the cops will investigate

And we should trust the investigation of the cops by the very same cops?

Why is it that someone who shoots a cop is tried and convicted before the investigation into a cop shooting an unarmed man is concluded? It supposedly took two years to investigate the death of John Geer after all.

yes----the investigations by cops are EXHAUSTIVE-----the cops are put thru hell.
It is very likely that both men are NOW deprived of their guns------people like
you know that-----so they become SITTING DUCKS

Cops are not soldiers ...

Sure they are, they are simply national soldiers in the protection and service of the public good to keep the peace, thus the term: "Peace Officer." And this thread is just another weak defensive effort to cover up the fact that no self-respecting man would hide outside a school building with a gun, trained in its use, and just sit by while little kids are being gunned down one after the other . . . BANG! BANG! BANG! . . . . by another juvenile and just sit there "waiting for orders."

If I were walking down a street and saw police under fire from a thug trying to escape a bank robbery or something and I was armed, I would come to their defense and aid them anyway I could if I could rather than walk on by down the street knowing I had "no legal responsibility" to aid them. Sheesh.

WHEN the fuck will people realize that we are all in this together? It is ONE WORLD, and together or apart, everything we do to make the world better . . . . or worse, makes it better or worse for us all.

Well said. But unfortunately, when you have an entire political party who utilizes the behavior of a hand full of whackjobs to try to shove more laws on law abiding citizens, it becomes us vs them, liberals vs the rest of America.

A lot of people are making comparisons between cops and soldiers when it comes to life-threatening situations and while there are some similarities, in a deadly force scenario, they are totally different things.

1. Soldiers fight to destroy an enemy ... cops enforce laws in a civilian population.

2. Soldiers protect themselves by using overwhelming firepower ... cops must use the minimum amount of force proportionate to the objective. (If anything, cops are frequently at a firepower disadvantage in deadly force situations). Cops protect themselves with superior numbers and tactics.

3. If a soldier kills an enemy soldier, he's doing his job ... if a cop kills an offender, even an armed offender, he's subjected to a homicide investigation and a stigma that follows him for his entire career.

4. The Army cannot be sued or prosecuted for civilian casualties in the legitimate exercise of warfare ... police departments are open to civil litigation every time they do their job. This leads to very conflicting priorities for officers who are told to both protect themselves at all costs but also to prevent civilian casualties.

You don't want cops to be like soldiers. You don't want them rolling into neighborhoods with overwhelming firepower and inflicting acceptable rates of civilian casualties to suppress crime. You don't want cops calling in airstrikes or arty rounds to suppress a crack house.

Cops and soldiers are trained to deal with deadly force situations in very different ways and that's the way it should be.
Still defending rank cowardice, I see. When children are being murdered, you damned well better act, or carry the stigma of a coward for the rest of your life.

Why is it that someone who shoots a cop is tried and convicted before the investigation into a cop shooting an unarmed man is concluded? It supposedly took two years to investigate the death of John Geer after all.

yes----the investigations by cops are EXHAUSTIVE-----the cops are put thru hell.

Those investigations almost always clear the cop. In Georgia the phrase justified use of force was always used. Until the news conducted a study and found that half of those shot by police were unarmed or shot in the back. Then the phrase I was afeared for my life was exposed as the thin excuse it was.

OVER THE LINE: Police shootings in Georgia

Since then cops in Georgia have found themselves charged but not convicted for the actions. Rarely charged I should say.

So how is it that every shooting no matter how outrageous was always ruled as justified by the investigation? LEOBR.

Those investigations almost always clear the cop. In Georgia the phrase justified use of force was always used. Until the news conducted a study and found that half of those shot by police were unarmed or shot in the back. Then the phrase I was afeared for my life was exposed as the thin excuse it was.

Since then cops in Georgia have found themselves charged but not convicted for the actions. Rarely charged I should say.

So how is it that every shooting no matter how outrageous was always ruled as justified by the investigation? LEOBR.

you go out into the streets of some of the inner city dressed up as a cop----
TEST THE WATERS----------there are lots of dead cops----or at the very least
SHOT or mortally wounded COPS both on the streets------and in the jails.
BEING A COP AIN'T SAFE

Odd. That's NOT the way 100% of real cops believe their job is.
100% of cops believe the cowards who pissed their pants and didn't breach the building where the shooter should be shot for dereliction of duty.
They remind me of the 'shitter's and puckers' you were in VN. Literally everyone of them were LIBs.
I clearly remember a few times eating at mess and hearing artillery shells from five miles away. These cowards would suddenly jump up and piss themselves running for cover.
Ever heard the words: "To serve and PROTECT" asshole!

Cops Motto "To Serve and Protect"
What part do you not understand?
As a cop you see a person firing into a crowd, do youlook away or do you do your job and protect the crowd? carefue there is only one correct answer!

To serve and protect each other, maybe.

The fact that killing a cop gets you a greater sentence than killing a civilian shows that people think they are "better" than everyone else.

Fuck that, pigs bleed red too.

Soldiers don't arrest you for weed either...

Speak to your legislator. The second it becomes legal, we stop making arrests.

Trust me, we do NOT need the extra paperwork.
There shouldn't be anyone in prison on charges having to do with grass, using or distributing. It's ridiculous. Hard drugs yes, grass no. And no addicts should be in prison for using hard drugs: they should be in rehab facilities.
People who blow pot smoke onto others in public should be executed. Ignorance is no excuse.
LOL I don't think anyone purposely blows pot smoke in anyone's face. Have you been to Amsterdam where pot is legal and has been for decades? I have, and there is literally no problem anywhere unless you go to or walk past a pot 'cafe.' That's where the folks sit, socialize and smoke their pot. They buy it there too. The solution if you don't like it? Don't go into such a cafe. Pretty simple.
That’s rude.
I make a living playing music, primarily a wind instrument. Now your ignorant pot ilk are costing me jobs by exposing me and others to their THC.
You are dangerously ignorant and callous.

They are specific cafes for smoking pot. That is their reason for existing. They sell marijuana cigarettes; that's why people go there. If you don't like it, don't go to one. Pretty simple.

You are the one who is obviously ignorant.

you go out into the streets of some of the inner city dressed up as a cop----
TEST THE WATERS----------there are lots of dead cops----or at the very least
SHOT or mortally wounded COPS both on the streets------and in the jails.
BEING A COP AIN'T SAFE

Oh good. We really are breaking out the tired old bullshit aren’t we?

The 25 most dangerous jobs in America

Cops are number 14. This is the total from 2017. Do we accept it is a dangerous job when a logger goes and throws a beating on someone? Prostitutes have a dangerous job. Perhaps we should understand when they rob a John. It’s a dangerous job right?

Pfui

To serve and protect each other, maybe.

The fact that killing a cop gets you a greater sentence than killing a civilian shows that people think they are "better" than everyone else.

Fuck that, pigs bleed red too.
Same can be said of any hate crime charge

There shouldn't be anyone in prison on charges having to do with grass, using or distributing. It's ridiculous. Hard drugs yes, grass no. And no addicts should be in prison for using hard drugs: they should be in rehab facilities.
People who blow pot smoke onto others in public should be executed. Ignorance is no excuse.
LOL I don't think anyone purposely blows pot smoke in anyone's face. Have you been to Amsterdam where pot is legal and has been for decades? I have, and there is literally no problem anywhere unless you go to or walk past a pot 'cafe.' That's where the folks sit, socialize and smoke their pot. They buy it there too. The solution if you don't like it? Don't go into such a cafe. Pretty simple.
That’s rude.
I make a living playing music, primarily a wind instrument. Now your ignorant pot ilk are costing me jobs by exposing me and others to their THC.
Damn I bet you're great skin flute guy..

we have many for profit prisons in the US, and they want the beds full.

Educate yourself on how few privately owned prisons there are.

They currently hold less than 10% of the state and federal inmates. That's not "many".

That’s rude.
I play an instrument that you know zero about because it epitomizes black american musical heritage.

That’s rude.
I play an instrument that you know zero about because it epitomizes black american musical heritage.
The kazoo?

Law enforcement is trained to negotiate if an armed gunman has hostages, however, they are also trained to go in, once the gunfire erupts, so as to attempt to stop the shooter from harming more people.

That's the movies ... actual procedure is very different.

Really?

• "Nowadays, what we do is go to the sound of the guns," Gagliano said. "You get one, two, three, four people together. We're trained. We use particular formations."
Gagliano called it a "heterogeneous group" of first responders that could include local, state and federal agencies.
"You're going to the sound of the guns," he said. "The No. 1 goal is to interdict the shooter or shooters. In the old days, you took land. You went in. You clear the room. Then you slowly and methodically move to clear the next room. In this instance ... get to the shooter as quickly as possible and that's what they clearly did here."
The tactic, known in law enforcement circles as rapid deployment involving the first officer at the scene, began in earnest after the Columbine shooting.
More than half of mass shooting incidents are still in progress when officers arrive on the scene, with 75% requiring law enforcement to confront the shooter before the threat ends.

How Columbine changed the way police respond to mass shooting - CNN

Broward County, Florida, Sheriff Scott Israel makes it clear: ex-school deputy Scot Peterson should have gone into Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School and shot and killed gunman Nikolas Cruz on Feb. 14.

"When we in law enforcement arrive at an active-shooter, we go in and address the target and that's what should have been done," he said at a Thursday press conference.

What is a deputy supposed to do in a school shooting? Go in

Forum List

Back