Parkland survivor: Trump phone call didn't console me

Witchit

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2014
TARDIS
The man has no empathy. He needs crib notes to appear empathetic. "I hear you." So he makes a call, and it went about as well as would be expected after what he did to widow Johnson back in the day.

(CNN)A survivor of last week's massacre at a high school in Parkland, Florida, said President Donald Trump failed to bring her any real comfort during a phone call he made while she was hospitalized.

"I can't say I was consoled or helped," Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School senior Samantha Fuentes said Friday evening on CNN's "Erin Burnett OutFront."

The President, rather, talked about the shooter being a "sick puppy" and used the phrase "oh, boy" about eight times, said Fuentes, who was wounded in both legs.

He has all the best words.

Parkland survivor: Trump phone call didn't console me - CNN

It's the President's job to successfully console everyone who has been a victim of violent crime?

There's not enough money in the world to pay someone to do that.

Probably a partisan who wouldn't have been satisfied no matter what Trump said.
Welcome to the divided states of America.

It's the President's job to successfully console everyone who has been a victim of violent crime?

If he's not up for the job, then he shouldn't pick up the phone. He's useless.

There isn't a single thing be could do that you wouldn't bitch or whine about.

Not one thing.

• Is the POTUS job to be "Consoler in Chief?" Yes.
  • Is the POTUS' job to deliver personally an individualized consoling message to each and every individual who's been the victim of anything, be it violent crime or something else? No.
The POTUS need only contact individuals to whom he is specifically of a mind to do so. When s/he does so, it is his/her status as a human empathetic with the human condition on the whole -- part of which includes grief over the loss of a loved one or disconsolation over a bilious madman's rage -- that one expects would move the POTUS to utter some combination of words that in some small way console a bereaved or wounded countryman.

Nobody demands that a POTUS speak directly with any such individual; however, f*cking-A, if he's going to do it, the very least he could do is be consoling enough the the person whom he contacts doesn't feel so unconsoled, that they sense from him so much of an absence of empathy, that they say, "I can't say I was consoled or helped." There're scores of emotions one might feel in response to another's remarks about one's profound loss or injury and few of us are so emotionally decrepit that the best our words can inspire is the emptiness of "I can't say I was consoled or helped." About the only worse outcome is one, of the POTUS' words, saying, "He insulted me."

Not one thing.
Quite simply, were Trump not so "over the top" in asserting the nature and extent to which he and everything about him -- his words, his deeds, his ideas -- is vastly more "all that and a bag of chips" than anything that preceded or that will follow him, he'd suffer less ridicule than he does. Unfortunately, the reality of Trump and everything about him is that little if any of it is comparatively more "all that and a bag of chips" than all who've and that's preceded him, and it stands to reason therefore the same is so fo all who'll and that'll follow him.

One thing at which Trump has duly earned superlative status is that of, by a margin of about ten points, having the lowest first term approval rating of any POTUS since such a thing has been measured. That is a superlative status Trump earned all by himself and nobody wants to take it away from him; however, he's not at all vocal about his having earned that superlative. Were he to come out and say something like "We had a crappy first term, but I'm committed to reversing that trend and delivering far more favorable results in my remaining years," were he to "own his sh*t" as well as his achievements," and then actually deliver to the satisfaction of some material share of his critics, he'd attract far less ridicule for being nonetheless a reprobate human being.

The man has no empathy. He needs crib notes to appear empathetic. "I hear you." So he makes a call, and it went about as well as would be expected after what he did to widow Johnson back in the day.

(CNN)A survivor of last week's massacre at a high school in Parkland, Florida, said President Donald Trump failed to bring her any real comfort during a phone call he made while she was hospitalized.

"I can't say I was consoled or helped," Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School senior Samantha Fuentes said Friday evening on CNN's "Erin Burnett OutFront."

The President, rather, talked about the shooter being a "sick puppy" and used the phrase "oh, boy" about eight times, said Fuentes, who was wounded in both legs.

So what would you want him to say? Yeah I have a friend who was shot. That's a bummer. Take care?

We know Trump has no empathy. We saw that time and time again, esp when he brought up McCain during Cpac. Many things he has said I find repulsive. There are no words that can console someone in that condition, I guess I should give him some credit for trying.

Last edited:
We know Trump has no empathy. We saw that time and time agains, esp when he brought up McCain during Cpac. Many things he has said I find repulsive. There are no words that can console someone in that condition, I guess I should give him some credit for trying.
Exactly.

Not one thing.
Quite simply, were Trump not so "over the top" in asserting the nature and extent to which he and everything about him -- his words, his deeds, his ideas -- is vastly more "all that and a bag of chips" than anything that preceded or that will follow him, he'd suffer less ridicule than he does. Unfortunately, the reality of Trump and everything about him is that little if any of it is comparatively more "all that and a bag of chips" than all who've and that's preceded him, and it stands to reason therefore the same is so fo all who'll and that'll follow him.

One thing at which Trump has duly earned superlative status is that of, by a margin of about ten points, having the lowest first term approval rating of any POTUS since such a thing has been measured. That is a superlative status Trump earned all by himself and nobody wants to take it away from him; however, he's not at all vocal about his having earned that superlative. Were he to come out and say something like "We had a crappy first term, but I'm committed to reversing that trend and delivering far more favorable results in my remaining years," were he to "own his sh*t" as well as his achievements," and then actually deliver to the satisfaction of some material share of his critics, he'd attract far less ridicule for being nonetheless a reprobate human being.
Trump approval rating tops Obama’s at same point in presidency

Not one thing.

Trump approval rating tops Obama’s at same point in presidency
From your linked article:
President Trump’s approval rating in one of the major daily tracking polls
That has no bearing on the verity of the remark I made. Let me remind you of what I wrote:
One thing at which Trump has duly earned superlative status is that of, by a margin of about ten points, having the lowest first term approval rating of any POTUS since such a thing has been measured.
What is the point of measurement for a POTUS' first term? Once might choose either of two:
Consequently, at neither relevant point of measurement has Trump's approval rating surpassed that of Obama, about whom I made no remark, or that of any other POTUS about whom such polling data are available.

Not one thing.

Sad, but I believe you're right. The spoiled dumb ass isn't capable of decent behavior, much less what we should have from a president

Trump doesn’t do empathy

Ask the woman whose husband was killed in Niger

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...abb0f1e9ffb_story.html?utm_term=.160ae75644f8

According to two people who overheard the call, Trump told Johnson that her husband “knew what he was signing up for” although his death must still be painful. One witness who confirms these were Trump’s words is the woman who raised Johnson as a son, Cowanda Jones-Johnson.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back