Congress votes to end gender id/gay job discrimination

ENDA Vote: Senate Votes To Outlaw LGBT Workplace Discrimination

enda vote

WASHINGTON -- The Senate voted Thursday to approve the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, landmark civil rights legislation that would make it illegal to discriminate against LGBT individuals in the workplace.

The final vote was 64-32, with 10 Republicans joining Democrats. The Republican senators backing the legislation were cosponsors Susan Collins (R-Maine) and Mark Kirk (R-Ill.), along with Kelly Ayotte (R-N.H.), Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.), Orrin Hatch (R-Utah), Dean Heller (R-Nev.), John McCain (R-Ariz.), Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska), Rob Portman (R-Ohio) and Pat Toomey (R-Pa.).

ENDA would outlaw workplace discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity. It is already illegal for employers to discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, nationality, religion, age or disability. Twenty-nine states currently have no laws protecting LGBT individuals in the workplace.

What took so long?

Of all things that is not the business of an employer, this is right up there at the top.

Since Obama doesn't give a fuck about ONLY 5% of the population losing their health insurance, surely he will veto this bill that only deals with about 2% of the population?....... :eusa_whistle:

I want to understand your position. Is this just more good ol' boy gay bashing, or is it your contention that no workers should have any rights in the workplace at any time? Do your principles allow for any consideration of labor as humans and not merely a commodity?

They should have a right not to be killed, not to have their property stolen, and all the other rights everyone has. They should also have a right to negotiate whatever contract they want.

You prefer to take at least one of those rights away from them, and call it freedom. The thing you don't seem to get is that anything that takes away anyone's rights means less freedom.
Do American citizens have the right to be homosexuals? Do Amerians citizens have a right to earn a living? Should American citizens have their rights protected by law?

I wouldn't call it a right in the classical sense of the word.

They do, however, have the right to have the government leave them the fuck alone, even if they are homosexuals. That means the government cannot make being a homosexual illegal, it does not mean the government can force me to sleep with one.

And, no, the American people do not have a right to earn a living anymore than they have a right to live in your house.

they should have a right not to be killed, not to have their property stolen, and all the other rights everyone has. They should also have a right to negotiate whatever contract they want.

you prefer to take at least one of those rights away from them, and call it freedom. The thing you don't seem to get is that anything that takes away anyone's rights means less freedom.
do american citizens have the right to be homosexuals? Do amerians citizens have a right to earn a living? Should american citizens have their rights protected by law?

i wouldn't call it a right in the classical sense of the word.

They do, however, have the right to have the government leave them the fuck alone, even if they are homosexuals. That means the government cannot make being a homosexual illegal, it does not mean the government can force me to sleep with one.

and, no, the american people do not have a right to earn a living anymore than they have a right to live in your house.

Americans do not have the right to earn a living? Does that apply to all Americans, or are there specific classes of Americans? If the right to earn a living is denied, what are those people supposed to do? Why did you conflate the right to earn a living with trespass?

do american citizens have the right to be homosexuals? Do amerians citizens have a right to earn a living? Should american citizens have their rights protected by law?

and, no, the american people do not have a right to earn a living anymore than they have a right to live in your house.

Americans do not have the right to earn a living? Does that apply to all Americans, or are there specific classes of Americans? If the right to earn a living is denied, what are those people supposed to do? Why did you conflate the right to earn a living with trespass?

It applies to everyone in the world. Nothing, anywhere, requires someone to hire somebody just because they need a job. If it did, there would be 0 unemployment. It isn't my fault you don't understand that.

It applies to everyone in the world. Nothing, anywhere, requires someone to hire somebody just because they need a job. If it did, there would be 0 unemployment. It isn't my fault you don't understand that.
I did not say that Americans had a right to be offered a job. I asked if Americans had a right to earn a living. Do American citizens have a right to earn a living?

enda vote

WASHINGTON -- The Senate voted Thursday to approve the Employment Non-Discrimination Act, landmark civil rights legislation that would make it illegal to discriminate against LGBT individuals in the workplace.

The final vote was 64-32, with 10 Republicans joining Democrats. The Republican senators backing the legislation were cosponsors Susan Collins (R-Maine) and Mark Kirk (R-Ill.), along with Kelly Ayotte (R-N.H.), Jeff Flake (R-Ariz.), Orrin Hatch (R-Utah), Dean Heller (R-Nev.), John McCain (R-Ariz.), Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska), Rob Portman (R-Ohio) and Pat Toomey (R-Pa.).

ENDA would outlaw workplace discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity. It is already illegal for employers to discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, nationality, religion, age or disability. Twenty-nine states currently have no laws protecting LGBT individuals in the workplace.

What took so long?

Of all things that is not the business of an employer, this is right up there at the top.

Congress did not vote, just the senate.

There are so many limitations on employers now, watch as the visible and available job market shrinks and employers to go agencies or word of mouth.

I did not say that Americans had a right to be offered a job. I asked if Americans had a right to earn a living. Do American citizens have a right to earn a living?

What part of my answer did you not understand?

Congress votes to end gender id/gay job discrimination

And it opens the door to alot of frivolous lawsuits.
How dare Americans avail themselves of the justice system in order to secure their own rights!

Frivolous is what the defendants call law suits. Justice is what the plaintiffs seek. On top of firing someone simply because they're homosexuals, would you keep them from seeking justice through the courts as well?

There is no right to a job. There just isn't. There is no right for a specific job with a specific employer.

Boehner says freedom from discrimination will cost businesses too much. At the very least, he hides his fear of freedom. The stock Conservative bigot does not disguise their ignorance as we'll.

Why on earth would anyone claiming to love America oppose this bill?

Perhaps they love America, but they clearly hate Americans!

What the haters fail to realize, among other things, is the popular don't need protection under law, the unpopular certainly do.

Those who hate equal freedoms and rights as guaranteed by our Constitution also hate our country. They're the same traitors who side with other countries over their own.

They're welcome to leave but no. They stay here, availing themselves of the very same freedoms and rights they want to take away from other Americans.

Those who hate equal freedoms and rights as guaranteed by our Constitution also hate our country. They're the same traitors who side with other countries over their own.

1.jpg

Yes, it is a good thing that ENDA passed the Senate...but it will be killed in the Republican-controlled House. I do find Boehner's excuse for not bringing up for a vote pathetic, he is probably the worst House Speaker we have ever head....he is the Speaker of the House, not just the Republicans. Bring it up for a vote so we know which Congressmen/Congresswomen are against equal rights. If we want to bring frivolous lawsuits into this, I would assume that this would be the same position as those against the Equal Rights Bill of 1965 right?? I find it absolutely amazing at how arrogant and hateful Conservatives are towards the LGBT community. They demean them during speeches and on television, and then praise the constitution...because I guess the "Pursuit of Happiness" only applies to straight people in their eyes? Or, that they are "pro-life" yet the condone state-sanctioned executions. Ahhh, how the contradictions pile up.

Conservatives don't hate the LGBT community, we are just sick and tired of having their agenda shoved at us all the time and are fighting back. Politically, before we have to take it to the streets which is already happening in some places.

Conservatives don't hate the LGBT community, we are just sick and tired of having their agenda shoved at us all the time and are fighting back. Politically, before we have to take it to the streets which is already happening in some places.
If Conservative truly don't hate the LGBT community, why won't Conservatives help pass a law protecting them? Perhaps Conservatives believe that there isn't any discrimination faced by LGBT folks. Or perhaps Conservatives think that should ENDA pass, there will be an increased cost to businesses? Can freedom from workplace discrimination bee just too costly? Is there a price for freedom beyond the sacrifice made by our servicemen and women? Is profit more important than freedom?

Yea, they are shoving their agenda down your throats alright....how dare they seek equal rights in society??? Who are they to believe they should be married, not be refused services or jobs because of their orientation? Boy, go figure you guys are losing this battle...not to mention all the other minority groups.

Really sad to see this kind of behavior about equal rights, especially in this day of age :eusa_naughty:

Same thing we heard about civil rights and women's rights. You guys need to get a new schtick.

enda vote

What took so long?

Does that mean KrustyFrank and ButtWarriorToo will be tempted to come outta the closet?

Good grief.. they are both already insufferable...

Even though I don't like it. I also know it's no one's business what people do. There ways might not be mine. but so what!!!. let people live there own lives.

Boehner says freedom from discrimination will cost businesses too much. At the very least, he hides his fear of freedom. The stock Conservative bigot does not disguise their ignorance as we'll.

Why on earth would anyone claiming to love America oppose this bill?

Perhaps they love America, but they clearly hate Americans!

What the haters fail to realize, among other things, is the popular don't need protection under law, the unpopular certainly do.

They're welcome to leave but no. They stay here, availing themselves of the very same freedoms and rights they want to take away from other Americans.
What about my freedom to hire who I choose? I did some digging and found a picture of you in business attire. Frankly, I don't want you interacting with my clients.

tranny.jpg

Seriously! Where does the Constitution state that your rights trump mine?

Forum List

Back