Congress on Mnimum wage -- Overtime pay -- Opinions?

Congress (read R scum) want you to work overtime for nothing

No one is proposing eliminating overtime pay. The proposal is that IF BOTH WORKERS AND EMPLOYER agree BEFORE overtime hours are worked, that the employee may, instead of taking time and a half overtime pay, take time and half hours of leave. And if that leave is not used by the end of the calendar year, the employee is to be paid at his/her current regular rate for those hours (unless the pay at the time was higher).

Example: Employee is asked to work 6 extra hours in a week (46 hours total) and makes a wage of $10/hr. She has the choice of taking overtime pay ($400 regular pay, $90 overtime pay) or receiving 9 hours time off. She never manages to take the time off, but does get a pay raise to $12/hr. At the end of the year she has those 9 hours of leave to cash out at the rate of $12/hr for a total of $108. If she hadn't gotten a raise, or even if she had gotten a pay cut, she would receive a buy back of $90, same as if she had gotten the overtime pay.

So how is that worse?

Because what will happen is practice is that employers will say the vacation days or be fired. You'll get paid for them at the end of the year at your normal rate. Result: you've eliminated overtime pay, because it'll all be shifted into the cashed out vacation days.

It's not much of a negotiation when one party has all the bargaining power.

The person offering the job has the final say on who gets the job.

And that's the way it should be.

Not really. Unless the state dictates the terms, it's a mutual agreement.

Ignoring the relative bargaining power of the parties creates absurdity. If I hold a gun to your wife's head and say I'll shoot unless you give me $100,000, would it be a "mutual agreement" if you paid that sum?

... And recently Rand Paul was criticizing government for questioning the tax avoidance of Apple? Is this a comedy or what. Farce may be the better word.

And once again you miss the crux of the matter, and only observe the top layers of what you see.
Rand made one of the better speeches I have seen in years that day. And I am not one of his fans.
His greater point was the sheer irony of the congress bringing them in and giving Apple a speech about tax avoidance when every member there uses the SAME means to avoid taxes for them!! His second point was the problem is not Apple, it is the ludicrous tax system that allows such loopholes to exist...which...wait for it...here it comes..THESE LOOPHOLES WERE WRITTEN INTO THE TAX SYSTEM...by the SAME GOVERNMENT that is giving them hell for using them!!!

HELLOOOO.....anyone there??
I

Is it possible you occasionally pay attention? Paul is a tool and you a fool, both mentally manipulated by a corporate worship ideology that possesses the minds of many modern Americans, badly brainwashed by propaganda.

And this from an intelligent conservative site.

"Chairman Carl Levin (D-MI) reassured Paul that it wasn’t about Apple, but about “investigating a tax code that is not working for the American people, is not working for businesses in this country, which some business decide how many taxes they’re going to pay, how many they won’t, what they’re going to leave offshore in terms of profit, cooking up all kinds of arrangements to avoid paying taxes.”

[..]

"Apple did nothing illegal, and they’re the largest corporate taxpayer in America. The subcommittee’s report presents Apple as a “case study” in how multinational companies game the tax code, not accusing them of anything, per se. And though Senator Rand Paul took issue with ”the spectacle of dragging in” Cook, representing one of “America’s success stories”—an oddly combative tone to take, which seems to have everything to do with his upcoming trip to Silicon Valley—Cook voluntarily appeared, and the subcommittee report even refers to Apple as a success story too."

"The corporate grip on opinion in the United States is one of the wonders of the Western world. No First World country has ever managed to eliminate so entirely from its media all objectivity - much less dissent." Gore Vidal
Hah. I don't see anywhere where you made a case that Paul and the post are "brainwashed". On the contrary you made it apparent that you happily accept ridiculous talking points.

Carl Levin has served in Congress since 1978. Did he just now realize the tax system was a farce? No. He's part of the problem, another life long politician. But he'll happily parrot the talking points and participate in the witch hunt of the day so people like yourself can get a warm and fuzzy in their tummy. Don't let the truth hit you in the butt on the way out.

Last edited:

Ignoring the relative bargaining power of the parties creates absurdity. If I hold a gun to your wife's head and say I'll shoot unless you give me $100,000, would it be a "mutual agreement" if you paid that sum?

Guess you dont have any skill's that anyone wants....

Why must you make every topic about the person you're talking to. For what it's worth, my skill set is a fair amount more specialized than most. That's not really the point though. The vast majority of people don't have a skill set that's so unique to have anything close to equal bargaining power.

Why must you make every topic about the person you're talking to. For what it's worth, my skill set is a fair amount more specialized than most. That's not really the point though. The vast majority of people don't have a skill set that's so unique to have anything close to equal bargaining power.

Because you're type wants to make an Anonymous blanket post and I love to call you folks on it when It's not true and why dont they have the skills or the drive? please dont tell me Union teachers did there part to help.... because they didnt do a dang thing.

Because you're type wants to make an Anonymous blanket post and I love to call you folks on it when It's not true and why dont they have the skills or the drive? please dont tell me Union teachers did there part to help.... because they didnt do a dang thing.

Since we're discussing public policy, it makes sense to talk about the population at large. And yes, it's absolutely true that most people don't incredibly unique skills. This isn't from a lack of desire/drive, it's because there really aren't that many unique things out there.

Of course not, that's coercion. There's a fundamental difference between that and legitimate economic power.

Minimum wage is nothing more than a means for young people to make a few bucks when they aren't in school. Instead it is being used as a crutch for unambitious losers who failed in life to try to force others to subsidize their pathetic lives with a living wage. Sorry, it simply isn't anyone's problem but your own if you can't do better than minimum wage. Boo f-in hoo. Cry me river, and don't forget to ask me if I would like a hot apple pie with my order, and be quick about it.

The minimum livable wage is supposed to insure that the middle class doesn't get screwed. Since 1970 it hasn't kept up with cost of living. Business has raised prices for COL but hasn't raised pay which is, and has been, one of the reasons why they raised prices, but business pocketed their employees increases.

And once again you miss the crux of the matter, and only observe the top layers of what you see.
Rand made one of the better speeches I have seen in years that day. And I am not one of his fans.
His greater point was the sheer irony of the congress bringing them in and giving Apple a speech about tax avoidance when every member there uses the SAME means to avoid taxes for them!! His second point was the problem is not Apple, it is the ludicrous tax system that allows such loopholes to exist...which...wait for it...here it comes..THESE LOOPHOLES WERE WRITTEN INTO THE TAX SYSTEM...by the SAME GOVERNMENT that is giving them hell for using them!!!

HELLOOOO.....anyone there??
I

Would you name any Democrat that authored any legislation that gave loopholes to corporations.

Yes.

Obama - Solyndra

Clinton - Tyson Foods

Solyndra was product dumping by China which has been stopped.

Tyson Foods is unproven allegations.

264532_583681001653769_187376109_n.png

Take note, that the most hours needed dominate blue states.

Not often an op pewns himself.

Take note, that the average pay is highest in the states where rent is the highest. Surprise!!!

Would you name any Democrat that authored any legislation that gave loopholes to corporations.

Yes.

Obama - Solyndra

Clinton - Tyson Foods

Solyndra was product dumping by China which has been stopped.

Tyson Foods is unproven allegations.

China product dumping or not, Solyndra got a loophole.

So did Tyson. Here's just one instance, while he was President.

It's Dole Inc. Vs. Clinton Inc. - Newsweek and The Daily Beast

Since we're discussing public policy, it makes sense to talk about the population at large. And yes, it's absolutely true that most people don't incredibly unique skills. This isn't from a lack of desire/drive, it's because there really aren't that many unique things out there.

not true, I pay more to the person that has heart compared to the person witth the same skills that calls in all the time or is a cancer on the place. Its about attitude.

The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack of will. ~Vince Lombardi

Of course not, that's coercion. There's a fundamental difference between that and legitimate economic power.

There is a point where the gap in bargaining power is so wide that the only different is semantic.

When we called for overtime, we always gave the employee the call on whether to be paid time and a half or to be given 90 minutes for every hour worked.

That is moral, ethical, and smart business. We got great results for treating our employees as human beings worth decency and respect.

Forum List

Back