Confederate Flag: Symbol of ?

The "Stars and Bars" has been used prominently at KKK rallies and segregationist political events and demonstrations to this day. To southern whites it is the "Flag of Resistance" defying not only blacks but also northerners. Check the video archives of any southern TV station and this becomes obvious. This is still the meaning most connected to it by southern whites today.
As someone who grew up in the South, pre-Civil Rights Act, I agree with you.

Its a flag. It means different things to different indiviuals. Like bumper stickers - those who have them are judged by complete strangers because the stranger has no idea what it migt mean to the one who put it on their bumper.

To me it stands for the rights that states used to have before the federal government took them away. It is a warning that the same thing could happen to our individual rights.
I don't really care what it means to the rest of you - that is your personal right. Fly it or burn it - whichever you wish but do it knowing that you are exercising your right to free thought and free expression. Other rights that you may lose if you don't exercise them.

How about this I'll use that flag to wipe my ass after I shit. That flag has no varying meaning it means what majority thinks it means....Racism

Prove it.

Are you serious?

So coward klansmen who associate their ideology while waving the confederate flag is not proof enough? It is evident hardcore racist fly both U.S and Confederate flag

Wake up it is the symbol of slave masters and traitors.....You are damn fool for worshiping it.

No it's not.
The Civil War was all about state rights, and the fact the South was sick of being the North's cash cow. Slavery was just one of many issues.
If someone flies the flag because they are racist then that is what it represents. Most of the time it has to do with southern pride and nothing more.

It was about the states right to own people.....

That was one of the issues.
How many pics have been circulated of someone flying a confederate flag with an Obama yard sign.
If some racist is flying the flag believing it represents white pride, then that is how they feel... Some fly it just because they have Southern Pride. It is a flag with a lot of history, and if someone wants to fly it, so be it.
And the KKK is racist because they fly the flag, they are racist because they are a bunch of bigot assholes who do not think minorities are equal.

It's like this - The swastica is an eastern symbol of good luck. True fact, for those that didn't know. But Hitler put it on the nazi flag. At that initial point in time that swastica still meant good luck, or good fortune, but after the invasions and atrocities that symbol became associated with the worst kind of evil.

There have been groups trying to reclaim the original meanings of assorted symbols that Hitler and others corrupted. I was part of one group, very liberal and well-meaning. We didn't want anyone to forget Nazi Germany for what it was, we wanted to take back what was stolen from peaceful people of the world. It didn't work. Not at all.

The damage is done, whether it's a swastika or the rebel flag, any positive association is gone - permanently.

Speaking as a lifelong Californian, I see a great dichotomy in the perception of the Confederate Flag between White and Black Americans. For my Black friends, it seems to be a symbol of slavery, segregation, discrimination and racism. For my White friends, it is a symbol of Civil War military battles, moonshine and backwoods shenanigans a la the Dukes of Hazard.

I wonder if these divergent views will ever be reconciled. :confused:

The flag of a country that's long gone and barely existed.
Alabamas state flag.

All other symbology is utter non-sense

are you people still talking about this???? It doesn't matter what you think it is a symbol of! History proves it was the flag of slave owning racists thats a fact .....Whether or not some hillbilly thinks it is the bomb or some ghetto hood rat thinks it is the devil makes little difference. The great thing about this country is you have the freedom to think of it any fucking way. Well for a little while longer you do. Oh and you idiots who romanticize the confederate states????? They lost. Get over it.

are you people still talking about this???? It doesn't matter what you think it is a symbol of! History proves it was the flag of slave owning racists thats a fact .....Whether or not some hillbilly thinks it is the bomb or some ghetto hood rat thinks it is the devil makes little difference. The great thing about this country is you have the freedom to think of it any fucking way. Well for a little while longer you do. Oh and you idiots who romanticize the confederate states????? They lost. Get over it.

Were the Southern black slave owners also racist?

A racist is someone that believes their race is superior to another.
So being of the same race how could they be racist?

No shit sherlock!

Look, he made the comment that anyone that flew the confederate flag was a racist. I set out to prove he was an idiot. And I succeeded.

Why do you insist on attempting to answer questions not directed at you?

No shit sherlock!

Look, he made the comment that anyone that flew the confederate flag was a racist. I set out to prove he was an idiot. And I succeeded.

Where did I answer any question?

is a symbol of the brave men who fought and died carrying it into battle. Judging these men with today's point of view is at best an inept attempt to put one's own judgements and convictions above someone elses without the needed knowledge and experience to do so. It's a flag that Americans carried, fought and died with. God bless the brave soldiers of the southern states, may today's idiots let them rest in peace.

Last edited:
is a symbol of the brave men who fought and died carrying it into battle. Judging these men with today's point of view is at best an inept attempt to put one's own judgements and convictions above someone elses without the needed knowledge and experience to do so. It's a flag that Americans carried, fought and died with. God bless the brave soldiers of the southern states, may today's idiots let them rest in peace.

Well said but you left out the other 147 years of the history of that flag.
The war has been over 147 years.

No shit sherlock!

Where did I answer any question?

Read the thread dumbass.

So cause they died tryng to protect slavery they are brave?????Maybe they are but they sure picked a damn stupid principle to be brave about.

So the Georgia Legislature that changed the flag back to the stars and bars during their fight against integration with the US Justice Department in the 50s after Brown v. Board of Education did so out of their support of their heritage.
Maybe so.
The heritage then was to keep blacks in bondage through slavery and segregation in the 50s was to keep blacks out of white public schools.
Makes sense. Fly the Georgia state flag with the stars and bars because the heritage is to enslave blacks then and discriminate against them in the 50s.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL8C94E735BE457E7A&v=s-QwMUjD8xg&feature=player_embedded]PJTV: ZoNation: Liberals and Democrats Are Racist, Not Republicans! - YouTube[/ame]

So cause they died tryng to protect slavery they are brave?????Maybe they are but they sure picked a damn stupid principle to be brave about.

Why do you choose to stay ignorant?

The civil war was about "states rights".

So the Georgia Legislature that changed the flag back to the stars and bars during their fight against integration with the US Justice Department in the 50s after Brown v. Board of Education did so out of their support of their heritage.
Maybe so.
The heritage then was to keep blacks in bondage through slavery and segregation in the 50s was to keep blacks out of white public schools.
Makes sense. Fly the Georgia state flag with the stars and bars because the heritage is to enslave blacks then and discriminate against them in the 50s.

Another ignorant fool that has no clue why the civil war was waged.

Forum List

Back