Choppy/skippy video play

fuzzykitten99

VIP Member
Apr 23, 2004
You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
I have had this issue for a little while now and it is just getting old.

When I play a video feed from online, it is choppy and skips, with the video AND the audio not playing smoothly.

The only clips that aren't really affected are most of the YouTube ones. Even my Media Player that I use to play music, the graphic thingy (ambience I think it's called) is choppy and doesn't play smoothly. And my DVD player doesn't play smoothly as well, and that is not even related to the online video issue.

I have tried the following:

Going through and deleting the .tmp files
Running all 3 of my virus and spyware removal programs
Defraging
Disk Cleanup

I also went through my music player and deleted songs and albums that I don't listen to as often and put them on my jumpdrive to save them. I made sure all my updates have been downloaded and installed. I even deleted some games that I had installed that I don't play anymore or I have lost the CD for it and can't play it anyway.

It helped a little, but my DVD player still runs slow and fragmented. It only did this before if the laptop got too warm and the airflow around the fan was restricted.

The only thing I can think of is the volume of pictures from my digital camera that I have on here. But there aren't that much more than what I had say, at the 6 months ago, and this problem started before that.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Thanks in advance!

I have had this issue for a little while now and it is just getting old.

When I play a video feed from online, it is choppy and skips, with the video AND the audio not playing smoothly.

The only clips that aren't really affected are most of the YouTube ones. Even my Media Player that I use to play music, the graphic thingy (ambience I think it's called) is choppy and doesn't play smoothly. And my DVD player doesn't play smoothly as well, and that is not even related to the online video issue.

I have tried the following:

Going through and deleting the .tmp files
Running all 3 of my virus and spyware removal programs
Defraging
Disk Cleanup

I also went through my music player and deleted songs and albums that I don't listen to as often and put them on my jumpdrive to save them. I made sure all my updates have been downloaded and installed. I even deleted some games that I had installed that I don't play anymore or I have lost the CD for it and can't play it anyway.

It helped a little, but my DVD player still runs slow and fragmented. It only did this before if the laptop got too warm and the airflow around the fan was restricted.

The only thing I can think of is the volume of pictures from my digital camera that I have on here. But there aren't that much more than what I had say, at the 6 months ago, and this problem started before that.

Can anyone suggest anything?

Thanks in advance!

How old is it?

From what you describe it sounds like a RAM problem to me.
How many programs do you run at the same time?
Had you installed any new programs before this problem started? Do they run at start-up?

If it is a RAM problem removing stuff from the HD will have no effect.

How old is it?

From what you describe it sounds like a RAM problem to me.
How many programs do you run at the same time?
Had you installed any new programs before this problem started? Do they run at start-up?

If it is a RAM problem removing stuff from the HD will have no effect.
I got this laptop in '03, it is a Dell Inspiron 5100.

I have the log-in's split to separate my business info from my personal info because of the sensitivity of the information, so my business login needs a password to access that desktop.

Specs of the computer:
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40GHz, 2.39GHz, 384 MB RAM

Here is a snapshot of some of the storage info that I was able to locate:

Let me know if this is what I am looking for.

Attachments

• $system issues.JPG
    $system issues.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 51
I got this laptop in '03, it is a Dell Inspiron 5100.

I have the log-in's split to separate my business info from my personal info because of the sensitivity of the information, so my business login needs a password to access that desktop.

Specs of the computer:
Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.40GHz, 2.39GHz, 384 MB RAM

Here is a snapshot of some of the storage info that I was able to locate:

Let me know if this is what I am looking for.

The 384mb RAM is most likely the problem I think, especially if programs automatically load when you turn the puter on.

The snapshot deals with the HD and has nothing to do with RAM memory.

Go to ‘start’ then ‘all programs’ and find ‘startup’. Hold you mouse on that and it will give you a list of all programs that start when you turn the puter on. You may need to remove some.

The 384mb RAM is most likely the problem I think, especially if programs automatically load when you turn the puter on.

The snapshot deals with the HD and has nothing to do with RAM memory.

Go to ‘start’ then ‘all programs’ and find ‘startup’. Hold you mouse on that and it will give you a list of all programs that start when you turn the puter on. You may need to remove some.
I checked the 'startup' and there were 4 programs on it that I moved to the regular menu. I didn't think I had anything in that menu.

dmp
I highlighted the problem with your computer. For any PC running WinXP - 1 GB of ram should be minimum. I'd say 2GB of RAM would be 'good'.
this is where I got the number. I thought I had at least 1GB, but then again this thing is 3 years old...

Attachments

• $system issues1.JPG
    $system issues1.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 55
I checked the 'startup' and there were 4 programs on it that I moved to the regular menu. I didn't think I had anything in that menu.

this is where I got the number. I thought I had at least 1GB, but then again this thing is 3 years old...

Go back to that menu on the thumb nail…click ‘advanced’ then ‘performance settings’ then the ‘advanced’ tab. Look at the bottom ‘virtual memory’ what’s the number for ‘total paging file size’?

Go back to that menu on the thumb nail…click ‘advanced’ then ‘performance settings’ then the ‘advanced’ tab. Look at the bottom ‘virtual memory’ what’s the number for ‘total paging file size’?
576 MB

i tried a couple DVDs and played a few videos and music, and that start menu solution seems to have solved most of the issues.

BUT...I am wanting to increase my RAM anyway. Its only $80 for 512MB, and I can insert up to two of them to fit in my laptop. I'll see if my brother in law will install them for me. I don't think I would trust myself not to mess something up.

576 MB

i tried a couple DVDs and played a few videos and music, and that start menu solution seems to have solved most of the issues.

BUT...I am wanting to increase my RAM anyway. Its only $80 for 512MB, and I can insert up to two of them to fit in my laptop. I'll see if my brother in law will install them for me. I don't think I would trust myself not to mess something up.

I have 512mb RAM my puter shows the 384mb RAM too..my guess is you do have 512 now. I should have mentioned the error windows makes before, sorry.
It'll do the same on the HD depending on where you look.

Anyway, try it like you have it for awhile and see what happens.

I have 512mb RAM my puter shows the 384mb RAM too..my guess is you do have 512 now. I should have mentioned the error windows makes before, sorry.
It'll do the same on the HD depending on where you look.

Anyway, try it like you have it for awhile and see what happens.

I checked my service tag at dell.com and I DO have 512MB...But I still want to order another one and slip it in there. Then it will run Rollercoaster tycoon 3 much better and wont be as slow to change views. :D

I checked my service tag at dell.com and I DO have 512MB...But I still want to order another one and slip it in there. Then it will run Rollercoaster tycoon 3 much better and wont be as slow to change views. :D

Before you order, be sure you have a memory slot free.

EDIT: RAM Memory can get complicated. Depends on the motherboard. Laptop?
I never added to a lap..only a desktop.

Before you order, be sure you have a memory slot free.

EDIT: RAM Memory can get complicated. Depends on the motherboard. Laptop?
I never added to a lap..only a desktop.
I do...I called Dell to make sure that my computer's config is capable of adding more. I can have up to 1024MB in it.

as far as installing it, that is where my BIL comes in. He does this stuff as well as network support for 3 companies, and he knows how to install this stuff. I actually just cut a deal with him. I buy him a case of Bud, and he'll do it. :tng:

Forum List

Back