A Star is Born at N.C. State

odanny

Diamond Member
May 7, 2017
Midwest - Trumplandia
Anyone watch the N.C. State / Duke matchup would have seen a feather soft touch from DJ Burns that Duke could not stop, no matter who guarded him, The guy really was the star of the weekend, he displayed some great shooting ability.

It's going to be the Dancing Bear against the Purdue Giant, and I think I'm taking N.C. State in this one.

Unknown.jpeg

Once the lone tape recorder on the table in front of him had been turned off, Burns was asked again, what do you really prefer?

“I mean that s—,” Burns said. “Nobody was knowing my name until we started winning, even with all those stats.” He paused, and then Burns the rapper came out with his way of summing up this incredible, inexplicable NC State run: “Nobody cares about a loser. That’s why I decided to be a winner.”

What Burns wants, Burns gets.

On Sunday afternoon, the nation’s new favorite player got played one-on-one by Duke, and that turned out to be the wrong decision. Burns cooked the Blue Devils for 29 points — 21 coming after halftime — in a 76-64 win that also gave America what it wants: the dancing bear against the Purdue giant in the Final Four.

The 11th-seeded Wolfpack, winners of nine straight, have now won more games in three weeks than they had from the time the calendar flipped to 2024 until the end of the regular season. No one saw any of this coming, if they’re being honest. “God, no,” his mom, Takela, said as she watched her son celebrate on a stage. “Couldn’t have imagined it.”

Her son and his well-traveled teammates, no matter what happens from here, are forever part of March lore. Their run is more improbable than just about any, including the Wolfpack’s 1983 championship, which was a team that was ranked in the preseason and at least had a winning record in ACC play. This one had to win five games in five days at the ACC tournament. This one trailed at halftime in the opening round of the ACC tournament to Louisville — Louisville! — a team whose coach was fired just about the moment the buzzer sounded. And none of this would even be possible if Virginia’s Isaac McKneely had not missed the front end of a one-and-one with 5.3 seconds left in the ACC semis, giving Michael O’Connell a chance to force overtime with a 25-foot banked-in 3 at the buzzer.

WASHINGTON, D.C. — Down three, NC State’s season hanging by a thread, Michael O’Connell stole a peek at the shot clock: 5.3 seconds left.

Just enough time.

O’Connell’s played enough basketball, 124 games between his four seasons at Stanford and NC State, to understand the situation: a Virginia one-and-one, with Friday’s ACC tournament semifinal effectively hanging in the balance. If Isaac McKneely — UVA’s best shooter, who had already torched the Wolfpack for 20 points by then — made his first free throw?

Game over. Season over. Possibly his college career, over.

But O’Connell couldn’t think like that. He and his NC State teammates — the ones who won three games in three days to even reach this point — just needed a miss. The rebound thereafter would be easy; Virginia didn’t send anyone else back with McKneely.

And then?

“We gotta get a 3 up,” junior Jayden Taylor said. “That’s all I’m thinking.”

O’Connell had the perfect vantage point, right next to McKneely on the free-throw line. He saw McKneely’s release … and watched the ball clank off the front rim, then the right side, before falling back into play. There was a chance. He took off immediately, sprinting down the left side of the court while Casey Morsell — a DMV native playing against his former team — first fumbled the rebound, then kicked it ahead to him.

Another glance at the shot clock.

Time winding down.

Any hope for a miracle, quickly extinguishing.

“You’ve obviously,” O’Connell said, “just got to get the shot off, right?”

So as O’Connell dribbled past his head coach — he was inches, if that, from Kevin Keatts and NC State’s bench — that’s exactly what he did: launching the prayer of all prayers, a ball that rose so high not even television cameras could capture it. “Felt like it was in slow motion,” junior Ben Middlebrooks said. And then all of Capital One Arena watched in awe as the ball meteored back down to earth, banked off the backboard, rolled around the rim … and, finally, swirled through the nylon.

Pandemonium.

Last edited:
Anyone watch the N.C. State / Duke matchup would have seen a feather soft touch from DJ Burns that Duke could not stop, no matter who guarded him, The guy really was the star of the weekend, he displayed some great shooting ability.

It's going to be the Dancing Bear against the Purdue Giant, and I think I'm taking N.C. State in this one.

View attachment 925505

Once the lone tape recorder on the table in front of him had been turned off, Burns was asked again, what do you really prefer?

“I mean that s—,” Burns said. “Nobody was knowing my name until we started winning, even with all those stats.” He paused, and then Burns the rapper came out with his way of summing up this incredible, inexplicable NC State run: “Nobody cares about a loser. That’s why I decided to be a winner.”

On Sunday afternoon, the nation’s new favorite player got played one-on-one by Duke, and that turned out to be the wrong decision. Burns cooked the Blue Devils for 29 points — 21 coming after halftime — in a 76-64 win that also gave America what it wants: the dancing bear against the Purdue giant in the Final Four.

The 11th-seeded Wolfpack, winners of nine straight, have now won more games in three weeks than they had from the time the calendar flipped to 2024 until the end of the regular season. No one saw any of this coming, if they’re being honest. “God, no,” his mom, Takela, said as she watched her son celebrate on a stage. “Couldn’t have imagined it.”

Her son and his well-traveled teammates, no matter what happens from here, are forever part of March lore. Their run is more improbable than just about any, including the Wolfpack’s 1983 championship, which was a team that was ranked in the preseason and at least had a winning record in ACC play. This one had to win five games in five days at the ACC tournament. This one trailed at halftime in the opening round of the ACC tournament to Louisville — Louisville! — a team whose coach was fired just about the moment the buzzer sounded. And none of this would even be possible if Virginia’s Isaac McKneely had not missed the front end of a one-and-one with 5.3 seconds left in the ACC semis, giving Michael O’Connell a chance to force overtime with a 25-foot banked-in 3 at the buzzer.

He has a look you want to root for him. I will definitely tune in when I see his team is playing next year in the NBA. Will he start right away? Reminds me of Zion only he don't get hurt.

I don't know if Burns' game translates to the NBA. He certainly has the bulk to bang inside, but not the height. He's be a great addition as far as a great guy to have in the locker room. He seems to have natural charisma and people enjoy playing with him. But he falls into that "in between positions" area.

View attachment 925505

He's sure fun to watch! I kinda think the Cinderalla run ends with that big goober Edey tho.

Forum List

Back