Catholic School Fires Teacher For.....

Once again, the Church embarrasses itself in it's fight to maintain 19th century sexual morals

Our morals are ours. We're not asking you to live by them... just don't work for the Church.

Stop trying to force us to live by your morals. Easy.

are you using the royal or papal third person?

There are varying degrees of following in regard to strict by the book catholic practice. I draw on my experience with my ex husbands family here. He is child number 14 of 16 in his family. Obviously hisar ends we're very devout in their beliefs about contraception lol. But I have observed varying degrees of the strictness paid to the idea of child prevention within the next generation. Some of it is because of economic changes some is due to health abnormalities with mother and or child and some was because let's face it dealing with that many children at a time brings forth many stresses. Still some within the family have gone on to adhere to the strict policy of the church and now have 6 kids which have chemical and physical disorders. I see valid reasons not to bring more children in than one can adequately care for but I do also understand the church point of view in keeping things as natural as possible and preserving the sanctity of the union

Such tarty language for a religious girl. Try acting like an adult. You remind me of koshergirl when you act like this.

When much of the catholic doctrine was created there was a higher rate of infant death as well so having more children increased the odds of at least some of your children living to maturity. Over time and science discoveries that number of deaths to mother and child have decreased and a new issue was observed...how to provide financially for the children welcomed into the family when the way of the farm decreased and was replaced by industry and cost of homes and land pieces increased exponentially. These factors have now come into play with church doctrine and it has caused many strict practicing Catholics to consider these said elements in their home and lives.

Anyone who chooses to work for the Catholic Church is expected to abide by the tenants of the Church. They are told that before accepting a job. If they choose to accept that job - and those tenants - then the Church is perfectly entitled to expect them to fulfill that contract. If she did not, then that was her choice.

Personal responsibility.

churches have tenets, wordsmith, not tenants.
I dunno, I always swore those nuns had kids locked up in their basement.

I can also see something from this woman perspective. I had a friend I worked with that was catholic. She and her husband tried for years to have a baby but it was discovered that he was infertile because of some chemicals he was exposed to at his place of work. By the time they decided to adopt there were not many agencies that would accept the and denied them because of his age. They finally did adopt a child but the process of that endeavor was very long and terribly expensive. They were called two years later with an opportunity to adopt another child but because they could not come up with a deposit of 25 grand to do so within two weeks they were passed over and were never approached again.

Emily Herx, Teacher Claims She Was Fired From Catholic School For In Vitro Fertilization

INDIANAPOLIS -- An Indiana teacher who says she was fired from a Roman Catholic school for using in vitro fertilization to try to get pregnant is suing in a case that could set up a legal showdown over reproductive and religious rights.

Emily Herx's lawsuit accuses the Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend and St. Vincent de Paul school in Fort Wayne of discrimination for her firing last June. Herx, 31, of Hoagland, Ind., says that the church pastor told her she was a "grave, immoral sinner" and that a scandal would erupt if anyone learned she had undergone in vitro fertilization, or IVF.

Emily Herx, Teacher Claims She Was Fired From Catholic School For In Vitro Fertilization

I understand the Church's reasoning and why they are against IVF. I just don't agree with it. Thoughts?

I'm Catholic and haven't a problem if someone wishes to use IVF. However, in this case the school, under the auspices of the Catholic Diocese has the right to include morals clauses, that hold true to the consistent stand of the Catholic Church. She signed the contract. I think she'll lose.

Even Wiki doesn't throw up, 'more needed or questionable':

Catholic social teaching - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

INDIANAPOLIS -- An Indiana teacher who says she was fired from a Roman Catholic school for using in vitro fertilization to try to get pregnant is suing in a case that could set up a legal showdown over reproductive and religious rights.

Emily Herx's lawsuit accuses the Diocese of Fort Wayne-South Bend and St. Vincent de Paul school in Fort Wayne of discrimination for her firing last June. Herx, 31, of Hoagland, Ind., says that the church pastor told her she was a "grave, immoral sinner" and that a scandal would erupt if anyone learned she had undergone in vitro fertilization, or IVF.

I understand the Church's reasoning and why they are against IVF. I just don't agree with it. Thoughts?

Are they asking you to agree with it? No.

Her decision. She knew she worked for the Catholic Church. You don't like the Catholic Church's views... fine... don't work for it.

Being that this is a forum for religion, I was more interested in everyone's thoughts on IVF from a religious viewpoint, not so much whether the Catholic Church had a right to fire this woman.

If a catholic can expand for me as to why they're against in vitro I'd appreciate it.

I'm a former catholic and had never heard of this, not trying to be a smartass or anything I'm just curious.

It's because some pre-embryos are destroyed and they consider them to be human beings. I do believe though, that they have the ability to limit the number of embryos created so that all may be used. The danger in that is that they may not get enough viable embryos to implant in the woman. From a cost standpoint it makes much more sense to create extras so they can use the most viable ones.

When much of the catholic doctrine was created there was a higher rate of infant death as well so having more children increased the odds of at least some of your children living to maturity. Over time and science discoveries that number of deaths to mother and child have decreased and a new issue was observed...how to provide financially for the children welcomed into the family when the way of the farm decreased and was replaced by industry and cost of homes and land pieces increased exponentially. These factors have now come into play with church doctrine and it has caused many strict practicing Catholics to consider these said elements in their home and lives.

I wonder what the Catholic Church would do if everyone did as they were supposed to do according to the Church. If everyone had just a minimum of six kids, within three generations, we would have a population of over 12 billion just in the United States. If everyone throughout the world, of child bearing age, had just six kids per couple, within three generations, Earth's population would be over 200 billion.

Of course, we would never reach such a population because there would be mass die offs due to starvation.

Last edited:
If a catholic can expand for me as to why they're against in vitro I'd appreciate it.

I'm a former catholic and had never heard of this, not trying to be a smartass or anything I'm just curious.

It's because some pre-embryos are destroyed and they consider them to be human beings. I do believe though, that they have the ability to limit the number of embryos created so that all may be used. The danger in that is that they may not get enough viable embryos to implant in the woman. From a cost standpoint it makes much more sense to create extras so they can use the most viable ones.

I understood and accepted all of what CalGirl posted in her link but this;

"IVF violates the rights of the child: it deprives him of his filial relationship with his parental origins and can hinder the maturing of his personality. It objectively deprives conjugal fruitfulness of its unity and integrity, it brings about and manifests a rupture between genetic parenthood, gestational parenthood, and responsibility for upbringing. This threat to the unity and stability of the family is a source of dissension, disorder, and injustice in the whole of social life."

I'd have to see evidence of IVF children having personality issues or the parents having less responsibility to raise IVF children. IVF is expensive as hell! Believe me it took away any chance i'd ever have of a small inheritance lol. I would think that'd bring about MORE responsibility to raise the children.

I have 2 IVF brothers and 1 IVF sister, they're all great kids who seem to be developing just fine.

I think that if you take a position with a religious organization that includes a morality clause, and you violate the morality clause, you should be unsurprised when you lose your job.

If you want to do as you wish, when you wish, don't work for a Catholic school.

I know, this is such a toughie. :eusa_whistle:

Anyone who chooses to work for the Catholic Church is expected to abide by the tenants of the Church. They are told that before accepting a job. If they choose to accept that job - and those tenants - then the Church is perfectly entitled to expect them to fulfill that contract. If she did not, then that was her choice.

Personal responsibility.

churches have tenets, wordsmith, not tenants.

I wish I were a professional writer with a high IQ so I'd know things like this.

I understood and accepted all of what CalGirl posted in her link but this;

"IVF violates the rights of the child: it deprives him of his filial relationship with his parental origins and can hinder the maturing of his personality. It objectively deprives conjugal fruitfulness of its unity and integrity, it brings about and manifests a rupture between genetic parenthood, gestational parenthood, and responsibility for upbringing. This threat to the unity and stability of the family is a source of dissension, disorder, and injustice in the whole of social life."

I'd have to see evidence of IVF children having personality issues or the parents having less responsibility to raise IVF children. IVF is expensive as hell! Believe me it took away any chance i'd ever have of a small inheritance lol. I would think that'd bring about MORE responsibility to raise the children.

I have 2 IVF brothers and 1 IVF sister, they're all great kids who seem to be developing just fine.

Wait a second

So if a man and his wife were expecting a child, then the man dies/killed

What is the church saying about the child in this situation?

I think this is more opinion by man than truth by moral argument.

I feel really bad for these people. I used to work in the medical field and we did various blood tests for doctors. One was fertility. My boss was from Chicago and had worked previously at a catholic hospital and she said that hospital would not allow semen analysis testing for fertility because it was against church rule since the specimen deposit was not going in the correct bank so to speak. So people who followed the teaching would not find out til years later they were infertile and only did so by assumption so by the time they entered the adoption process they were turned down because of their age. The only option to them left if they wanted a child is to go outside the lines and do invitro. Most men who are considered infertile are not devoid of sperm altogether. They just have a low count...a low count is less than a million in each ejaculation. I think. I was not a tech so I am not sure of that number exactly. They check for the motility then abnormalities like multiple heads and tails fructose which causes them to die off how many in a slide are swimming in a circle or not moving at all. They also check for how long it they live..anyway if these things are not determined because it is against the doctrine some people are left with little choices if they truly want a family. I do also see that taking more eggs and fertilizing them then holding them would be a violation as well. It is just sad that there seems to be no compromise for these couples.

Forum List

Back