Teacher fired for refusing to give students a score of 50% on assignments they failed to turn in.

Someone do some research. The Department of Education was created under the "great" President jimmy carter in 1979 (I believe.)

Since that dept was created, how has the education in this country ranked in the world with grade school and high school ages?
Comparing it to other nations is not a great tool for measuring success.

The purpose of education is not to out do Germany or the UK or whoever.

We should look at how well education worked in this nation before the department was created and how it has done since.
Although the Department is a relative newcomer among Cabinet-level agencies, its origins goes back to 1867, when President Andrew Johnson signed legislation creating the first Department of Education. Its main purpose was to collect information and statistics about the nation's schools. However, due to concern that the Department would exercise too much control over local schools, the new Department was demoted to an Office of Education in 1868.

Over the years, the office remained relatively small, operating under different titles and housed in various agencies, including the U.S. Department of the Interior and the former U.S. Department of Health Education and Welfare (now Health and Human Services).

Beginning in the 1950s, political and social changes resulted in expanded federal funding for education. The successful launch of the Soviet Union's Sputnik in 1957 spurred nationwide concern that led to increased aid for science education programs. The 1960s saw even more expansion of federal education funding: President Lyndon Johnson's "War on Poverty" called for the creation of many programs to improve education for poor students at all levels—early childhood through postsecondary. This expansion continued in the 1970s with national efforts to help racial minorities, women, people with disabilities and non-English speaking students gain equal access to education. In October 1979, Congress passed the Department of Education Organization Act (Public Law 96-88). Created by combining offices from several federal agencies, the Department began operations in May 1980.

In the 1860s, a budget of $15,000 and four employees handled education fact-finding. By 1965, the Office of Education had more than 2,100 employees and a budget of $1.5 billion. As of mid-2010, the Department has nearly 4,300 employees and a budget of about $60 billion.

An Overview of the U.S. Department of Education-- Pg 1

Essentially, the problem is that public education is being tasked with too much; the costly, specialized programs for children with special needs and being expected to overcome community influences in poor, crime ridden communities as if they didn't exist are two of those expectations no one institution can accomplish alone.

This.

And then, blame the teachers when the job doesn't get done. See: teacher shortage. No one can do this.

Just one more nail in the coffin of our society, I'm convinced of that.
We seem to be muddling through, but I believe we can do better. There is too much political influence in education, and there's nothing to be done about it--all the way down to the local school board, there can be total catastrophes done to a school's action plan.
People who make decisions on schools and education should be educators, I believe. Teachers don't go into it for the money or the glory; they do it to help kids and they are well trained these days and all of them are compelled to stay current with Continuing Education in order to renew their certification.
That’s because we have a governmental department of education. You cannot have governmental interference which is Apolitical...

The Dept of Ed is useless and beyond useless, it is actually detrimental. And unconstitutional. Tenth Amendment, should be left to the states and the local school board.

Someone do some research. The Department of Education was created under the "great" President jimmy carter in 1979 (I believe.)

Since that dept was created, how has the education in this country ranked in the world with grade school and high school ages?

We should look at how well education worked in this nation before the department was created and how it has done since.
Although the Department is a relative newcomer among Cabinet-level agencies, its origins goes back to 1867, when President Andrew Johnson signed legislation creating the first Department of Education. Its main purpose was to collect information and statistics about the nation's schools. However, due to concern that the Department would exercise too much control over local schools, the new Department was demoted to an Office of Education in 1868.

Over the years, the office remained relatively small, operating under different titles and housed in various agencies, including the U.S. Department of the Interior and the former U.S. Department of Health Education and Welfare (now Health and Human Services).

Beginning in the 1950s, political and social changes resulted in expanded federal funding for education. The successful launch of the Soviet Union's Sputnik in 1957 spurred nationwide concern that led to increased aid for science education programs. The 1960s saw even more expansion of federal education funding: President Lyndon Johnson's "War on Poverty" called for the creation of many programs to improve education for poor students at all levels—early childhood through postsecondary. This expansion continued in the 1970s with national efforts to help racial minorities, women, people with disabilities and non-English speaking students gain equal access to education. In October 1979, Congress passed the Department of Education Organization Act (Public Law 96-88). Created by combining offices from several federal agencies, the Department began operations in May 1980.

In the 1860s, a budget of $15,000 and four employees handled education fact-finding. By 1965, the Office of Education had more than 2,100 employees and a budget of $1.5 billion. As of mid-2010, the Department has nearly 4,300 employees and a budget of about $60 billion.

Essentially, the problem is that public education is being tasked with too much; the costly, specialized programs for children with special needs and being expected to overcome community influences in poor, crime ridden communities as if they didn't exist are two of those expectations no one institution can accomplish alone.

This.

And then, blame the teachers when the job doesn't get done. See: teacher shortage. No one can do this.

We seem to be muddling through, but I believe we can do better. There is too much political influence in education, and there's nothing to be done about it--all the way down to the local school board, there can be total catastrophes done to a school's action plan.
People who make decisions on schools and education should be educators, I believe. Teachers don't go into it for the money or the glory; they do it to help kids and they are well trained these days and all of them are compelled to stay current with Continuing Education in order to renew their certification.
I am sure many if not most teachers care about what they are doing but of course they do it for the money.

It does not have to be either or.

Let's not forget that private schools also get to choose their students. Public schools have no such power.
True but most parents have no power of choice either and they should

One big act which could solve many problems is to repeal truancy laws.
REPEAL truancy laws? How on earth does that help children get educated?
I explained how.

Some schools especially in inner cities are disasters.

But parents with no resources are forced to send their kids to such schools are faced with criminal charges. Meanwhile the government denies how bad they are.

If parents are permitted to pull their kids out of any school for their own reasons then the state will be forced to solve the problem when the certain schools start to empty.

I say this as a conservative, mind you....

I never ceases to amaze me how conservatives think that somehow, some way, schools are like little echelons of DC planted right in the middle of Everywhere, USA. They are "The Government" right there in your hometown.

Well, they are and they aren't.

Here is my point: every local school is a reflection of the community. The parents, children, and even the teachers all come from the surrounding COMMUNITY. The teachers are not typically some liberal transplants from Berkeley unless the school is IN BERKELEY. If your school is inner city--tragically--it is probably failing not because of "the school", but because there is poverty, drugs, joblessness, crime and trauma all around you. Is that an excuse for the school to underachieve? No. But it sure makes educating children difficult, if not near to impossible. And that is simply human development and biology.
Nor is it an excuse to force such kids to attend school in such nightmares.

The parents are a better judge of how safe or effective a school is but the state has removed their power to make such judgements.

You and I and especially local, state and federal governments simply do not know what is in the best interests of others.

Oh, I don't disagree with this. Are you talking about vouchers? I don't disagree. But I think if private schools accept vouchers, then they should have to accept all comers like public schools do. If they're taking public money, then by golly they should take "the public"

This.

That’s because we have a governmental department of education. You cannot have governmental interference which is Apolitical...

The Dept of Ed is useless and beyond useless, it is actually detrimental. And unconstitutional. Tenth Amendment, should be left to the states and the local school board.
I agree but it is only part of the problem

This.

I agree. But I also remember the huge stink with the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) and local schools SCREAMING about installing even so much as a ramp to the front door for kids using a wheel chair. Without a huge push from the government, these kids would never have had a chance at an education. I just think it should be separate but excellent, for some of these kids who are either too handicapped to get anything from a regular classroom, or are too disruptive to allow a regular classroom to function.

Some data to support your assertion would be nice. If you expect to be taken seriously... What is a “lot”?

Article about American teachers leaving profession with stats.

Analysis | Why it’s a big problem that so many teachers quit — and what to do about it

It's a problem in the UK too.
Teachers Are Leaving Profession At Highest Rate Since Records Began

We are seeing behaviors in children that I would never, ever have imagined even five, seven years ago. I come from a good district. Every school in my district now has a "crisis" team for when children just lose their minds. And I'm not talking about "special needs" children either--I'm talking about children with no formal diagnosis or no diagnosis YET. Children hitting, kicking, screaming, throwing things, melting down, and running out of the school and into the street.

Elementary school.

This is everywhere.

Of all things, this is what keeps me up at night. I have been teaching a long time. I have a little idea about what has happened to humanity but this--this is very alarming. I'm not kidding.
It is impossible to overstate the negative impact, that the destruction of the traditional family unit has had on the development of children.

Oh sure. But that was going on ten years ago, and also 15. Also even when I stepped into the profession over 20 years ago.

I think part of it is the technology we have now. It's utterly decimating children's brains.
What you're witnessing today is the result, of compound, generationl, single motherhood which really started to take off in the late 60's-early 70's. 3rd and fourth generational examples of the decline of the traditional family unit. If you think it's bad now. What do you think it might look like in 2-3 generations from now..?

Much better

What a hot flaming mess of a district. They can't even have a uniform policy on GRADING and have in writing two different policies--one says you CAN give a zero and the other in the school handbook says no grades less than 50% (which is ridiculous).

That's just a mess. I feel bad for the teacher, but maybe she can get a job in a better district.
I bet a private school scoops her up after hearing about this. Good on her! Both she, and her students deserve better than this school offers.

A lot of private school are worse.

Honestly she's better off changing professions.

A lot of teachers (like myself) are just leaving the profession all together. It's not worth the stress anymore.
Some data to support your assertion would be nice. If you expect to be taken seriously... What is a “lot”?

Analysis | Why it’s a big problem that so many teachers quit — and what to do about it

We are seeing behaviors in children that I would never, ever have imagined even five, seven years ago. I come from a good district. Every school in my district now has a "crisis" team for when children just lose their minds. And I'm not talking about "special needs" children either--I'm talking about children with no formal diagnosis or no diagnosis YET. Children hitting, kicking, screaming, throwing things, melting down, and running out of the school and into the street.

Elementary school.

This is everywhere.

Of all things, this is what keeps me up at night. I have been teaching a long time. I have a little idea about what has happened to humanity but this--this is very alarming. I'm not kidding.

Don't know why children hitting, kicking, screaming, throwing things and melting down routinely would be funny, or why we need crisis teams so that they don't run into the street is funny either. Or is it funny that I worry about these things? Should I not worry about these things, just figure, hey it's not my kids so who cares?

What exactly is funny here?

I explained how.

But parents with no resources are forced to send their kids to such schools are faced with criminal charges. Meanwhile the government denies how bad they are.

If parents are permitted to pull their kids out of any school for their own reasons then the state will be forced to solve the problem when the certain schools start to empty.

I never ceases to amaze me how conservatives think that somehow, some way, schools are like little echelons of DC planted right in the middle of Everywhere, USA. They are "The Government" right there in your hometown.

Here is my point: every local school is a reflection of the community. The parents, children, and even the teachers all come from the surrounding COMMUNITY. The teachers are not typically some liberal transplants from Berkeley unless the school is IN BERKELEY. If your school is inner city--tragically--it is probably failing not because of "the school", but because there is poverty, drugs, joblessness, crime and trauma all around you. Is that an excuse for the school to underachieve? No. But it sure makes educating children difficult, if not near to impossible. And that is simply human development and biology.

The parents are a better judge of how safe or effective a school is but the state has removed their power to make such judgements.

You and I and especially local, state and federal governments simply do not know what is in the best interests of others.

Oh, I don't disagree with this. Are you talking about vouchers? I don't disagree. But I think if private schools accept vouchers, then they should have to accept all comers like public schools do. If they're taking public money, then by golly they should take "the public"
No I am talking about real self determination not only for the individual but for their families and kids.

When parents were not forced by law to send their kids to school most fought like hell to get their kids an education

When the state began to force kids to go to school it was fine for a while. But now schools and education are deteriorating and the education system is not really responsible to the parents or kids because they are forced to attend regardless of how bad it is.

Some private schools are better. Some are not.
Buyer beware. I’d wager to say that the large majority of private schools offer a much better education than the large majority of government schools. And when it comes to private schools; the parent, as a consumer gets to choose. So a little research is all it takes. Home schooled children fare much better on average, than the average government school. Not to mention it enrages the left to no end when they are denied access to other people’s children.
Let's not forget that private schools also get to choose their students. Public schools have no such power.

I explained how.

You have missed the point.

Buyer beware. I’d wager to say that the large majority of private schools offer a much better education than the large majority of government schools. And when it comes to private schools; the parent, as a consumer gets to choose. So a little research is all it takes. Home schooled children fare much better on average, than the average government school. Not to mention it enrages the left to no end when they are denied access to other people’s children.

I explained how.

Wrong as usual.

I nailed it

This.

I agree. But I also remember the huge stink with the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) and local schools SCREAMING about installing even so much as a ramp to the front door for kids using a wheel chair. Without a huge push from the government, these kids would never have had a chance at an education. I just think it should be separate but excellent, for some of these kids who are either too handicapped to get anything from a regular classroom, or are too disruptive to allow a regular classroom to function.

Okay so....if that was the pendulum swinging way too far on one end and it was wrong, rest assured, now the pendulum has swung way too far on the OTHER end and that too is wrong.

Special needs kids assault other children and adults at school and everyone is super cool with this. Believe it. I'm talking real assault. Physical assault. Broken bones, ER visits, etc. But you can't say this, see. It's not PC.

I explained how.

No I am talking about real self determination not only for the individual but for their families and kids.

When parents were not forced by law to send their kids to school most fought like hell to get their kids an education

When the state began to force kids to go to school it was fine for a while. But now schools and education are deteriorating and the education system is not really responsible to the parents or kids because they are forced to attend regardless of how bad it is.

Meh, because I'm not an anarchist nor even a libertarian, I think society should have something to say about children being educated, right? However, whether parents choose to homeschool, private school, public school or whatnot is up to them. That's individual liberty.

This.

Okay so....if that was the pendulum swinging way too far on one end and it was wrong, rest assured, now the pendulum has swung way too far on the OTHER end and that too is wrong.

Special needs kids assault other children and adults at school and everyone is super cool with this. Believe it. I'm talking real assault. Physical assault. Broken bones, ER visits, etc. But you can't say this, see. It's not PC.
I see and yes I believe that.

I have heard more than one teacher say they are more concerned with physical assault from students than about doing their jobs

Assuming there is any truth to the headline, I can see a policy that prevents one poor (or missing) assignment from trashing a whole semester's grade. Downgrade the kid for sure, but don't nullify any future good work over the head of one bad one.

Just like a golf handicap, toss out the outliers and average the rest.

I bet a private school scoops her up after hearing about this. Good on her! Both she, and her students deserve better than this school offers.

A lot of private school are worse.

Honestly she's better off changing professions.

A lot of teachers (like myself) are just leaving the profession all together. It's not worth the stress anymore.

Elementary school.

This is everywhere.

Don't know why children hitting, kicking, screaming, throwing things and melting down routinely would be funny, or why we need crisis teams so that they don't run into the street is funny either. Or is it funny that I worry about these things? Should I not worry about these things, just figure, hey it's not my kids so who cares?

What exactly is funny here?

You realize it's not funny when school age children do these things? It's maladaptive?

I mean I don't know. Using heroin is maladaptive too, as a means of coping. Is that funny too? Should I laugh? Or is it funny that the heroin epidemic worries me too?

Wow.

I explained how.

Meh, because I'm not an anarchist nor even a libertarian, I think society should have something to say about children being educated, right? However, whether parents choose to homeschool, private school, public school or whatnot is up to them. That's individual liberty.
I am no anarchist either and what I proposed is not anarchy.

How ever society is just a concept. I believe it is clear that whether it is called society or the public or the state or whatever, it should not have a say to the point of forcing people to serve it's interests.

I explained how.

When the state began to force kids to go to school it was fine for a while. ....is.

In 1852?

This.

I have heard more than one teacher say they are more concerned with physical assault from students than about doing their jobs

People would be stunned if they knew how much violence there is in school. You want to know how liberalism has REALLY "infected" the schools? That's it. Violence in school is okay as long as the student committing the violence has a label or has been traumatized him/herself. And look, I'm not insensitive to that, I"m not.

But violence is never okay. And what's ironic is we are traumatizing MORE children who have never been traumatized because guess what they see in school now?

Violence.

People would be stunned if they knew how much violence there is in school. You want to know how liberalism has REALLY "infected" the schools? That's it. Violence in school is okay as long as the student committing the violence has a label or has been traumatized him/herself. And look, I'm not insensitive to that, I"m not.

But violence is never okay. And what's ironic is we are traumatizing MORE children who have never been traumatized because guess what they see in school now?

Violence.
Precisely.

That is why it is insane that we have laws forcing parents to expose their kids to such environments.

Sure some can move to a better area some can pay for private schools but many have no such resources or choice.

The state does not answer to them because they are effectively hostage.

This is part of what needs to change. The state should not have such power over others.

I explained how.

Wrong as usual.

I nailed it

Go put some ice on your thumb.

School choice is a laudable principle, but when students are failing because of their home situations, it does not address the problem.

Forum List

Back