Teacher fired for refusing to give students a score of 50% on assignments they failed to turn in.

Florida teacher says she was fired for refusing to give students partial credit on an assignment they didn't turn in

A teacher in Port St. Lucie, Fla., says that she was fired for refusing to give students partial credit for work they did not turn in to her.

According to WCMH, after many students didn’t hand in an Explorer Notebook project, Diana Tirado, an eighth-grade history teacher at West Gate, gave them a zero for a grade. According to Tirado, she was let go because of the school’s no-zero policy, allegedly included in the student and parent handbook.

“But what if they don’t turn it in, and they say we’ll give them a 50. Oh no we don’t,” Tirado told WCMH.

Tirado, who was still in her probationary period, was terminated from her position on Sept. 14. However, no clause was mentioned in the letter from the principal.

According to WFTV, a chief information officer for West Gate said in a statement: “There is no district or individual school policy prohibiting teachers from recording a grade of zero for work not turned in. The district’s uniform grading system utilizes letter grades A-F, numerical grades 100 to zero and grade point averages from four to zero.”

Tirado, who says, “Teaching is a calling for me,” claims she was told never to give a student a zero.

“I’m so upset, because we have a nation of kids that are expecting to get paid and live their life just for showing up, and it’s not real,” the teacher said.

On Tirado’s last day, she wrote a message on her whiteboard to the students and posted it on Facebook...

9kLfeId.jpg

Liberalism is a mental disorder.
”Liberalism is a mental disorder.”

You poor thing, bless your heart. Stop projecting. St. Lucie county leans rightwing. They voted for trump and their Congressman is s Republican.

That’s because we have a governmental department of education. You cannot have governmental interference which is Apolitical...
I agree. But I also remember the huge stink with the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) and local schools SCREAMING about installing even so much as a ramp to the front door for kids using a wheel chair. Without a huge push from the government, these kids would never have had a chance at an education. I just think it should be separate but excellent, for some of these kids who are either too handicapped to get anything from a regular classroom, or are too disruptive to allow a regular classroom to function.

Okay so....if that was the pendulum swinging way too far on one end and it was wrong, rest assured, now the pendulum has swung way too far on the OTHER end and that too is wrong.

Special needs kids assault other children and adults at school and everyone is super cool with this. Believe it. I'm talking real assault. Physical assault. Broken bones, ER visits, etc. But you can't say this, see. It's not PC.
I see and yes I believe that.

I have heard more than one teacher say they are more concerned with physical assault from students than about doing their jobs

People would be stunned if they knew how much violence there is in school. You want to know how liberalism has REALLY "infected" the schools? That's it. Violence in school is okay as long as the student committing the violence has a label or has been traumatized him/herself. And look, I'm not insensitive to that, I"m not.

But violence is never okay. And what's ironic is we are traumatizing MORE children who have never been traumatized because guess what they see in school now?

Violence.
Precisely.

That is why it is insane that we have laws forcing parents to expose their kids to such environments.

Sure some can move to a better area some can pay for private schools but many have no such resources or choice.

The state does not answer to them because they are effectively hostage.

This is part of what needs to change. The state should not have such power over others.
If parents want to put their kids in private school but can't afford it, why did they have kids if they couldn't afford it?

That’s because we have a governmental department of education. You cannot have governmental interference which is Apolitical...
I agree. But I also remember the huge stink with the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) and local schools SCREAMING about installing even so much as a ramp to the front door for kids using a wheel chair. Without a huge push from the government, these kids would never have had a chance at an education. I just think it should be separate but excellent, for some of these kids who are either too handicapped to get anything from a regular classroom, or are too disruptive to allow a regular classroom to function.

Okay so....if that was the pendulum swinging way too far on one end and it was wrong, rest assured, now the pendulum has swung way too far on the OTHER end and that too is wrong.

Special needs kids assault other children and adults at school and everyone is super cool with this. Believe it. I'm talking real assault. Physical assault. Broken bones, ER visits, etc. But you can't say this, see. It's not PC.

I have heard more than one teacher say they are more concerned with physical assault from students than about doing their jobs

People would be stunned if they knew how much violence there is in school. You want to know how liberalism has REALLY "infected" the schools? That's it. Violence in school is okay as long as the student committing the violence has a label or has been traumatized him/herself. And look, I'm not insensitive to that, I"m not.

But violence is never okay. And what's ironic is we are traumatizing MORE children who have never been traumatized because guess what they see in school now?

Violence.
Precisely.

That is why it is insane that we have laws forcing parents to expose their kids to such environments.

Sure some can move to a better area some can pay for private schools but many have no such resources or choice.

This is part of what needs to change. The state should not have such power over others.

Free online school is a choice now too.

Florida teacher says she was fired for refusing to give students partial credit on an assignment they didn't turn in

A teacher in Port St. Lucie, Fla., says that she was fired for refusing to give students partial credit for work they did not turn in to her.

According to WCMH, after many students didn’t hand in an Explorer Notebook project, Diana Tirado, an eighth-grade history teacher at West Gate, gave them a zero for a grade. According to Tirado, she was let go because of the school’s no-zero policy, allegedly included in the student and parent handbook.

“But what if they don’t turn it in, and they say we’ll give them a 50. Oh no we don’t,” Tirado told WCMH.

Tirado, who was still in her probationary period, was terminated from her position on Sept. 14. However, no clause was mentioned in the letter from the principal.

According to WFTV, a chief information officer for West Gate said in a statement: “There is no district or individual school policy prohibiting teachers from recording a grade of zero for work not turned in. The district’s uniform grading system utilizes letter grades A-F, numerical grades 100 to zero and grade point averages from four to zero.”

Tirado, who says, “Teaching is a calling for me,” claims she was told never to give a student a zero.

“I’m so upset, because we have a nation of kids that are expecting to get paid and live their life just for showing up, and it’s not real,” the teacher said.

On Tirado’s last day, she wrote a message on her whiteboard to the students and posted it on Facebook...

9kLfeId.jpg

A probationary teacher ignored school policy and was let go

That is life

9kLfeId.jpg

Liberalism is a pathologically lethal virus. Our America is in the final stages of its radical left infection. The only two outcomes are its death, or destruction of the radical leftist pathogen.

9kLfeId.jpg

Liberalism is a pathologically lethal virus. Our America is in the final stages of its radical left infection. The only two outcomes are its death, or destruction of the radical leftist pathogen.

I agree with this, and I know it is true.

I don't like it--but I agree.

9kLfeId.jpg

LOL

Good luck with that.

9kLfeId.jpg

LOL

Good luck with that.

Many thanks.

True but most parents have no power of choice either and they should

One big act which could solve many problems is to repeal truancy laws.
REPEAL truancy laws? How on earth does that help children get educated?
I explained how.

Some schools especially in inner cities are disasters.

But parents with no resources are forced to send their kids to such schools are faced with criminal charges. Meanwhile the government denies how bad they are.

If parents are permitted to pull their kids out of any school for their own reasons then the state will be forced to solve the problem when the certain schools start to empty.

You have missed the point.
Wrong as usual.

I nailed it

Go put some ice on your thumb.

School choice is a laudable principle, but when students are failing because of their home situations, it does not address the problem.
And that is not the only or main reason they fail.

Violence.
Precisely.

If parents want to put their kids in private school but can't afford it, why did they have kids if they couldn't afford it?
Very good question. I don't know beyond we all make dumb decisions.

Why do their bad decisions mean that the state forcibly replaces them as the parent?

Assuming there is any truth to the headline, I can see a policy that prevents one poor (or missing) assignment from trashing a whole semester's grade. Downgrade the kid for sure, but don't nullify any future good work over the head of one bad one.

Just like a golf handicap, toss out the outliers and average the rest.

Agree

If grades A-F are given, a score of 60 can get an F
A zero averaged in will ruin your whole semester

A kid may miss an assignment from time to time, should be a price to pay but not ruin the entire semester

The school has a policy on missed assignments.....the teacher ignored it

Violence.
Precisely.

Why do their bad decisions mean that the state forcibly replaces them as the parent?
How is the state "forcibly replacing them" as parents? No one is forced to put their kids in public school.

Violence.
Precisely.

How is the state "forcibly replacing them" as parents? No one is forced to put their kids in public school.
Yes they are.

That is what truancy laws do. Except for the relatively affluent.

`
1 - In Wisconsin, we have "School Choice." That means, if you qualify financially, you can send your children to a private school that is enrolled in the program, this includes parochial and faith based schools.

2 - The US Department of Education has no say in how public, and of course private schools, are run UNLESS (here's the kicker) the school accepts federal aid in any shape or form. Then, the federal government can impose conditions on that aid whereby if those conditions are not met, the aid will be withdrawn. Most public schools take such aid which lowers the taxes in the district the school is located. School boards are in the middle; irate tax payers vs school parents.

`

9kLfeId.jpg

The right wing is, "in power now".

Violence.
Precisely.

Yes they are.

Not at all...you are required to get your child an education...it does NOT require public school....that is the default position for parents, NOT a requirement. Don't like public school, there are two other options....private school and home school. Don't whine about something you do NOT have to send your kids to.

Precisely.

Yes they are.

Not at all...you are required to get your child an education...it does NOT require public school....that is the default position for parents, NOT a requirement. Don't like public school, there are two other options....private school and home school. Don't whine about something you do NOT have to send your kids to.
Wrong.

As I pointed out and you ignore private and homeschool are not options for most.

If you lack the resources for those options then yes you are forced by law to send your kids public schools

So essentially you support self determination for the affluent but not for anyone else

9kLfeId.jpg

The right wing is, "in power now".

Negative. The core of academia (is), the de facto law of the land (is) and the true power of out nation (is), fall under, in the following ordinal order: radical leftism born of Enlightenment Era atheist leftism, #MeToo and political correctness, radical leftist judicial dictatorship.

Yes they are.

Wrong.

As I pointed out and you ignore private and homeschool are not options for most.

If you lack the resources for those options then yes you are forced by law to send your kids public schools

So essentially you support self determination for the affluent but not for anyone else
Why aren't private and home school options? If you lack the resources to educate your children AS YOU SEE FIT, why did you have those children in the first place? Seems to me, you WANT to abdicate your responsibilities to the public schools while whining about it. How many school board meetings have you attended? How often do you volunteer at your child's school? Do you know the teachers? Have you reviewed the texts the district buys? Do you abdicate FEEDING your child to the school lunch program? Do you abdicate getting your child to school by their bus system?

Yes they are.

Wrong.

Why aren't private and home school options? If you lack the resources to educate your children AS YOU SEE FIT, why did you have those children in the first place? Seems to me, you WANT to abdicate your responsibilities to the public schools while whining about it. How many school board meetings have you attended? How often do you volunteer at your child's school? Do you know the teachers? Have you reviewed the texts the district buys? Do you abdicate FEEDING your child to the school lunch program? Do you abdicate getting your child to school by their bus system?
They are not options for most because private schools cost a lot and homeschooling takes so much time it essentially requires one be a stay at home parent

Most not have the resources for either

You asked me already and I answered. You are simply wrong and I have demonstrated that

The state has by law declared itself to be the parent. You are the one supporting that while whining about parents lack of involvement.

Parents would be more involved if not forced to turn their kids over to the state and they ARE forced to.

Forum List

Back