Catholic School Fires Teacher For.....

I feel really bad for these people. I used to work in the medical field and we did various blood tests for doctors. One was fertility. My boss was from Chicago and had worked previously at a catholic hospital and she said that hospital would not allow semen analysis testing for fertility because it was against church rule since the specimen deposit was not going in the correct bank so to speak. So people who followed the teaching would not find out til years later they were infertile and only did so by assumption so by the time they entered the adoption process they were turned down because of their age. The only option to them left if they wanted a child is to go outside the lines and do invitro. Most men who are considered infertile are not devoid of sperm altogether. They just have a low count...a low count is less than a million in each ejaculation. I think. I was not a tech so I am not sure of that number exactly. They check for the motility then abnormalities like multiple heads and tails fructose which causes them to die off how many in a slide are swimming in a circle or not moving at all. They also check for how long it they live..anyway if these things are not determined because it is against the doctrine some people are left with little choices if they truly want a family. I do also see that taking more eggs and fertilizing them then holding them would be a violation as well. It is just sad that there seems to be no compromise for these couples.

I would probably feel bad for these people if there weren't so many children languishing in foster care systems around the U.S.

You want a child? There are plenty out there. They may not be genetically identical or biologically perfect, but there are plenty of unwanted children in the system who need parents.

If you're really a faithful follower of the guy who wrote Matthew 25:31-46, you ALWAYS have options besides biologically engineering yourself a child who is your mini-me. It is just something to keep in mind.

I feel really bad for these people. I used to work in the medical field and we did various blood tests for doctors. One was fertility. My boss was from Chicago and had worked previously at a catholic hospital and she said that hospital would not allow semen analysis testing for fertility because it was against church rule since the specimen deposit was not going in the correct bank so to speak. So people who followed the teaching would not find out til years later they were infertile and only did so by assumption so by the time they entered the adoption process they were turned down because of their age. The only option to them left if they wanted a child is to go outside the lines and do invitro. Most men who are considered infertile are not devoid of sperm altogether. They just have a low count...a low count is less than a million in each ejaculation. I think. I was not a tech so I am not sure of that number exactly. They check for the motility then abnormalities like multiple heads and tails fructose which causes them to die off how many in a slide are swimming in a circle or not moving at all. They also check for how long it they live..anyway if these things are not determined because it is against the doctrine some people are left with little choices if they truly want a family. I do also see that taking more eggs and fertilizing them then holding them would be a violation as well. It is just sad that there seems to be no compromise for these couples.

I would probably feel bad for these people if there weren't so many children languishing in foster care systems around the U.S.

You want a child? There are plenty out there. They may not be genetically identical or biologically perfect, but there are plenty of unwanted children in the system who need parents.

If you're really a faithful follower of the guy who wrote Matthew 25:31-46, you ALWAYS have options besides biologically engineering yourself a child who is your mini-me. It is just something to keep in mind.

^^^^

x1000

But the foster system moves kids around all over so creating a lasting relationship is difficult and most kids go back to the parents at some point or are moved every few weeks or months. Trying to adopt from this system is difficult also. It isn't that thos kids are not wanted it is that the system is flawed in helping them to be kept in one place to create a real strong relationship

But the foster system moves kids around all over so creating a lasting relationship is difficult and most kids go back to the parents at some point or are moved every few weeks or months. Trying to adopt from this system is difficult also. It isn't that thos kids are not wanted it is that the system is flawed in helping them to be kept in one place to create a real strong relationship

There are plenty of kids available FOR ADOPTION in the foster care system. And, I doubt seriously that adopting through foster care is even a tiny bit more difficult or expensive than engineering yourself a test tube baby.

There are plenty of kids available FOR ADOPTION in the foster care system. And, I doubt seriously that adopting through foster care is even a tiny bit more difficult or expensive than engineering yourself a test tube baby.

It is difficult. In an earlier post I told about a friend I worked with trying to adopt. All I am saying is that I understand both sides and each situation is different

Being that this is a forum for religion, I was more interested in everyone's thoughts on IVF from a religious viewpoint, not so much whether the Catholic Church had a right to fire this woman.

Understood. Unfortunately, politics and religion are inexorably blended togehter in 21st Century America.

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled unanimously in January that religious workers can't sue their employers for job discrimination because anti-discrimination laws allow for a "ministerial exception." But the justices failed to define who was and who wasn't a religious employee.

"The Supreme Court didn't give us a kind of neat little on-off test as to who's a minister and who isn't," said Rick Garnett, associate dean and professor of law at Notre Dame Law School.

In a similar case in Ohio, a federal judge last month gave the go-ahead for a trial in a lawsuit against the Archdiocese of Cincinnati by a parochial school teacher who was fired after she became pregnant through artificial insemination, which the church is also against. The archdiocese fired Christa Dias in 2010, saying the single woman violated church doctrine.

U.S. District Judge Arthur Spiegel said in his March 29 ruling that the ministerial exception did not apply because Dias was a non-Catholic computer teacher with no role in ministering or teaching Catholic doctrine.
And the same is true for Emily Herx, who also had no ministerial responsibilities, either.

With such a broad and irresponsible interpretation of the "ministerial exception" to labor laws, a janitor could be fired with impunity for participating in IVF.

As to Church dogma concerning the issue, it is indeed an anachronism: ‘be fruitful and multiply’ may have been appropriate during the pre-Modern Era – some 500 years ago – when life expectancy was 40 years and the infant mortality rate was 60 percent, but it’s clearly a recipe for disaster today where resources are severely limited in many parts of the world.

As a Catholic, I think this is pants on head retarded.

As an ex-Catholic, I thought this was par for the course. Which is why I'm an ex-Catholic.

It's par for the course but it's still pants on head retarded.

Her royal highness needs to stop speaking for Catholics like we are all of the same mind on the Church's backward ass nonsense like this.

As a Catholic, I think this is pants on head retarded.

As an ex-Catholic, I thought this was par for the course. Which is why I'm an ex-Catholic.

It's par for the course but it's still pants on head retarded.

Her royal highness needs to stop speaking for Catholics like we are all of the same mind on the Church's backward ass nonsense like this.

I find it amusing she defends a chruch that considers here a second class member.

Once again, the Church embarrasses itself in it's fight to maintain 19th century sexual morals

Our morals are ours. We're not asking you to live by them... just don't work for the Church.

Stop trying to force us to live by your morals. Easy.

California Girl doesn't speak for Catholics.

Except when she does.

You either accept the tenets of the Church or you don't. That's what being a Catholic is - we don't pick and choose from a menu of beliefs. Those who work for the Catholic Church - regardless of their particular faith - agree to abide by certain conditions.... don't like the conditions, don't work for the Church. Not rocket science... but clearly above the intellectual pay grade of some.

Are they asking you to agree with it? No.

Her decision. She knew she worked for the Catholic Church. You don't like the Catholic Church's views... fine... don't work for it.

Soooo, um, would this apply to all the kid-diddling priests that the Church hid for years?

Oh, wait. No, it doesn't.

Is staying on topic too difficult for you? Moron.

I'm being completely on topic.

The Church fired this woman for something that was really nothing to do with her job because it violated their "teachings".

I think having sex with little boys also violates their "teachings". I know it was hard to tell, because you never really wanted to be alone in a room with one of these guys, we all knew the priests were all a little funny that way.

So my question is, why do they hide the priests who violate little boys ON THE JOB while firing a woman for trying to have a baby?

Our morals are ours. We're not asking you to live by them... just don't work for the Church.

Stop trying to force us to live by your morals. Easy.

California Girl doesn't speak for Catholics.

Except when she does.

You either accept the tenets of the Church or you don't. That's what being a Catholic is - we don't pick and choose from a menu of beliefs. Those who work for the Catholic Church - regardless of their particular faith - agree to abide by certain conditions.... don't like the conditions, don't work for the Church. Not rocket science... but clearly above the intellectual pay grade of some.

Um, actually, no.

And I honestly hope this woman sues the shit out of them and takes them for a lot of money.

Again, I wish the Church had shown as much concern when Priests were molesting little boys.

The U.S. Supreme Court ruled unanimously in January that religious workers can't sue their employers for job discrimination because anti-discrimination laws allow for a "ministerial exception." But the justices failed to define who was and who wasn't a religious employee.

Emily Herx, Teacher Claims She Was Fired From Catholic School For In Vitro Fertilization

Hint.... look at your Pay Check. That said, I think the Church should at least reexamine that policy.

At least you've learned something on this thread...how to spell tenet properly.

For that, I give the thread a :clap2:

Forum List

Back