Cash for Refrigerators?

Maybe there's a lot of checking and double-checking to make sure there's no fraud in some of these transactions. Wouldn't that be nice instead of finding out in six months that some cagey groups had figured out how to game this program and it was a big ripoff?
And if there's one thing the federal gubmint is known for, it's rooting out waste and fraud!!! :rolleyes:

WOOOOOOAH NELLIE!!! :rofl:

Would you complain if SOMEONE actually started to? You people are 100% projection that everything is going to hell in a handbasket. Sorry, but until I'm proven wrong (on anything), I'm ever the optimist. And I'll bet I'm a lot happier than many of you because of it.
I wouldn't complain, but what are the odds of that happening??...Somewhere along the lines of finding a snow skiing mountain in Florida??

Funny how for leftists hack-in-the-boxes like you, all the gubmint deficits and buffoonery are all just peachy now that they're being run by the crooks with the (D)s by their names, rather than the thugs with the (R)s. :lol:

Administration discussing how to wind down clunkers - USATODAY.com

Administration discussing how to wind down clunkers

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Obama administration is developing plans to wind down the popular cash for clunkers program and could announce by Friday when the incentives will no longer be available.
Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said Wednesday the department would announce within 48 hours how it intends to discontinue the program that offers car buyers rebates of $3,500 or $4,500 for trading in older vehicles for new, more fuel-efficient models. Department officials met with car dealer trade groups on Wednesday to discuss how the program will eventually end and respond to complaints over a backlog of rebate payments to dealers.

Through early Wednesday, auto dealers have made deals worth $1.81 billion and are on pace to exhaust the program's $3 billion in funds in early September. The incentives have generated more than 435,000 vehicle sales but dealers want a clear plan on when the rebates will no longer be available so they don't end up on the hook for any of the incentives.

"We want to make sure that dealers know when we're getting close" to running out of the money that was allocated for the program, LaHood told reporters. LaHood said he recognized that "dealers are frustrated. They're going to get their money."

On Thursday, General Motors said it would begin providing cash advances to its dealers to help cover any cash shortfalls related to the program. The automaker said it will provide the advances for up to 30 days for dealers who have already completed a sale and they will be available as long as the program remains in effect.

The National Automobile Dealers Association said its trade group met with Transportation officials to discuss dealer concerns about reimbursement delays and ways of fixing the problems. NADA spokesman Charles Cyrill said the association "stressed the importance of addressing — as soon as possible — how the program will end, including the possible suspension of the program."

Dealers have complained of delays in getting their reimbursements approved, causing a cash crunch at their dealerships. Dealers typically borrow money to put new cars on their lots and must repay those loans within a few days of a sale.

The financial arms of several automakers have begun offering help to cash-strapped dealerships, in some cases by floating loans to help cover clunker-related shortfalls. Toyota Financial Services is offering loans to dealers for up to 60 days to cover the lag between a dealership's payment and its reimbursement. The financial-services arms of Honda Motor, Nissan Motor, Ford Motor and other automakers are offering similar programs.

The government's online reimbursement system was flooded with reimbursement requests shortly after the program began in late July, overwhelming the computer system and staff set up to process the deals. That led to big delays for dealers trying to file the paperwork they needed to get paid back for the rebates.

LaHood said some of the submitted paperwork has been incomplete or inaccurate, leading to delays. He acknowledged the Transportation Department did not have enough people to process the paperwork but said DOT was ramping up staff.

DOT said earlier this week it was tripling its work force to handle the rebates and expected to have 1,100 workers dealing with the paperwork by the end of the week.

None of that gives any encouragement as to when the dealers will get paid.

Immie

PS please make sure you saw my last two posts.

I read everything, and I think you've been drinking too much Kool-aid. The deep red stuff they serve up in Texas. You continue to see the glass half empty instead of half full. I'm disappointed.

Go to Google and check out some of the happy campers, both dealers and customers. There are more of them than those doing the grumbling, but of course the latter are the ones that make headlines and cause EVERYONE to project that the entire program is a flop. Glug glug glug.

Administration discussing how to wind down clunkers - USATODAY.com

Administration discussing how to wind down clunkers

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Obama administration is developing plans to wind down the popular cash for clunkers program and could announce by Friday when the incentives will no longer be available.
Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said Wednesday the department would announce within 48 hours how it intends to discontinue the program that offers car buyers rebates of $3,500 or $4,500 for trading in older vehicles for new, more fuel-efficient models. Department officials met with car dealer trade groups on Wednesday to discuss how the program will eventually end and respond to complaints over a backlog of rebate payments to dealers.

Through early Wednesday, auto dealers have made deals worth $1.81 billion and are on pace to exhaust the program's $3 billion in funds in early September. The incentives have generated more than 435,000 vehicle sales but dealers want a clear plan on when the rebates will no longer be available so they don't end up on the hook for any of the incentives.

"We want to make sure that dealers know when we're getting close" to running out of the money that was allocated for the program, LaHood told reporters. LaHood said he recognized that "dealers are frustrated. They're going to get their money."

On Thursday, General Motors said it would begin providing cash advances to its dealers to help cover any cash shortfalls related to the program. The automaker said it will provide the advances for up to 30 days for dealers who have already completed a sale and they will be available as long as the program remains in effect.

The National Automobile Dealers Association said its trade group met with Transportation officials to discuss dealer concerns about reimbursement delays and ways of fixing the problems. NADA spokesman Charles Cyrill said the association "stressed the importance of addressing — as soon as possible — how the program will end, including the possible suspension of the program."

Dealers have complained of delays in getting their reimbursements approved, causing a cash crunch at their dealerships. Dealers typically borrow money to put new cars on their lots and must repay those loans within a few days of a sale.

The financial arms of several automakers have begun offering help to cash-strapped dealerships, in some cases by floating loans to help cover clunker-related shortfalls. Toyota Financial Services is offering loans to dealers for up to 60 days to cover the lag between a dealership's payment and its reimbursement. The financial-services arms of Honda Motor, Nissan Motor, Ford Motor and other automakers are offering similar programs.

The government's online reimbursement system was flooded with reimbursement requests shortly after the program began in late July, overwhelming the computer system and staff set up to process the deals. That led to big delays for dealers trying to file the paperwork they needed to get paid back for the rebates.

LaHood said some of the submitted paperwork has been incomplete or inaccurate, leading to delays. He acknowledged the Transportation Department did not have enough people to process the paperwork but said DOT was ramping up staff.

DOT said earlier this week it was tripling its work force to handle the rebates and expected to have 1,100 workers dealing with the paperwork by the end of the week.

None of that gives any encouragement as to when the dealers will get paid.

Immie

PS please make sure you saw my last two posts.

I read everything, and I think you've been drinking too much Kool-aid. The deep red stuff they serve up in Texas. You continue to see the glass half empty instead of half full. I'm disappointed.

Go to Google and check out some of the happy campers, both dealers and customers. There are more of them than those doing the grumbling, but of course the latter are the ones that make headlines and cause EVERYONE to project that the entire program is a flop. Glug glug glug.

Where did I state the program was a flop... AT ALL?

I asked a question... oh, I am sorry, I asked a question about a liberal program run by Democrats. Had I asked it of a Bush program, you're kool aid drinking rear end would be thrilled to death.

Happy campers? Yeah, they're happy today because they all expect to get paid in a week. What happens when those who have run this program start telling the dealers, "We're sorry, this deal was rejected because the paperwork was not filled out sufficiently"? Believe me, based on your link, that is bound to begin happening.

Immie

Last edited:
Cash for Clunkers has been credited with boosting auto sales, sparking several automakers to re-open closed plants in an effort to refill ravaged inventories. Industry analysts at J.D. Power and Associates forecast that August retail auto sales, a figure that excludes fleet sales to businesses, will pass the 1 million unit mark, thanks largely to the program. That would make it the first million-plus retail sales month in a year.

"Improved consumer confidence and credit availability during the past six months have combined with the CARS program to lift industry sales out of their slumping year-to-date levels, which have been down approximately 35% year-over-year," said Gary Dilts, senior vice president of global automotive operations at J.D. Power and Associates, in a statement.

So what trend do you anticipate to see now that the money has dried up, and everyone who was planning on purchasing a vehicle in the next year and a half or so, have made their purchase?

my guess is that most people who were going to wait to buy bought already while the program was going and those who didn't will wait it out....so I think that ending this program will have a slowing effect on auto sales in the next year. why not just keep the program?

My 1981 Ford F-150 was too old for the program. Nothing below 1984 cars were accepted, so there were some fairly good cars that were crushed for nothing. It never ceases to amaze how stupid some people are. You can fix ignorance, but stupid is forever.

My 1981 Ford F-150 was too old for the program. Nothing below 1984 cars were accepted, so there were some fairly good cars that were crushed for nothing. It never ceases to amaze how stupid some people are. You can fix ignorance, but stupid is forever.

I never got that, a "clunker" is a car that can't be fixed up ... anything less than 20 years old should not be a clunker, unless the car companies already screwed us over by making them clunkers, in which case the government should be going after them for that. Something is wrong with our government if they think a 1984 car is a clunker.

Forum List

Back