Millennials feel 'abandoned' by parents not available to help raise grandkids: 'Too busy'

1srelluc

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2021
Shenandoah Valley of Virginia

Some millennial parents say they feel “abandoned” by their baby boomer parents, who’ve chosen to travel in their retirement, rather than stay home and help raise their grandchildren, Business Insider found.

Growing up, Kristjana Hillberg remembers being regularly babysat by her grandmother when her parents traveled. But she often has to schedule visits with her parents or in-laws “months” ahead of time, she said.

Los Angeles-based psychologist and millennial mother Leslie Dobson explained many of her millennial clients develop resentment toward their parents because they feel like their parents have “chosen their life over meeting their grandchildren and building these relationships.”

“There’s almost like this three-fourth life crisis that they’re in,” she said of boomers. “And they’re really looking at this as, ‘Oh, my God, my life’s almost over. When is my last day, and how am I going to live my best life?'”

Dobson said she and her sisters were initially put off by their 71-year-old father’s decision to move to a luxury resort in Mexico. While they’ve come around to understand the decision, Dobson said they had hoped their father would be more available to help raise their kids.

Ted Dobson didn’t seem to agree with his daughter’s assessment of his life choices. The father told Business Insider that he still makes an effort to see his grandkids, but sometimes they are too busy to fit him into their schedules. He also suggested those in the younger generation live a more comfortable life than he did at the same age.

“They’ve all got nannies. We didn’t have a damn nanny. They drive expensive SUVs. I drove a fricking minivan,” he said. “I haven’t spent a nickel less on my kids. I just spent some on me,” he explained.

Good.....And if you whine too much more we are going to spend your damn inheritance too. ;)

Boomers didn't tend to dump their kids off to their parents while they went out every weekend and they didn't use them as daycare all the time either. It was an occasional thing and it wasn't abused like it so often is nowadays.

I never expected my parents to help raise my kids. It was nice to have them watch my kids for a few hours so we could go to dinner and a movie or some such every once in awhile.

I still help my kids out (took the G-G Grandson to daycare this morning) but it's always on my terms.....If I'm busy then it's on them.

self-care-mental-health.gif

I think their feels are overwhelming them.

thr-feels-overwhelmed-with-feels.gif

Last edited:

Some millennial parents say they feel “abandoned” by their baby boomer parents, who’ve chosen to travel in their retirement, rather than stay home and help raise their grandchildren, Business Insider found.

Growing up, Kristjana Hillberg remembers being regularly babysat by her grandmother when her parents traveled. But she often has to schedule visits with her parents or in-laws “months” ahead of time, she said.

Los Angeles-based psychologist and millennial mother Leslie Dobson explained many of her millennial clients develop resentment toward their parents because they feel like their parents have “chosen their life over meeting their grandchildren and building these relationships.”

“There’s almost like this three-fourth life crisis that they’re in,” she said of boomers. “And they’re really looking at this as, ‘Oh, my God, my life’s almost over. When is my last day, and how am I going to live my best life?'”

Dobson said she and her sisters were initially put off by their 71-year-old father’s decision to move to a luxury resort in Mexico. While they’ve come around to understand the decision, Dobson said they had hoped their father would be more available to help raise their kids.

Ted Dobson didn’t seem to agree with his daughter’s assessment of his life choices. The father told Business Insider that he still makes an effort to see his grandkids, but sometimes they are too busy to fit him into their schedules. He also suggested those in the younger generation live a more comfortable life than he did at the same age.

“They’ve all got nannies. We didn’t have a damn nanny. They drive expensive SUVs. I drove a fricking minivan,” he said. “I haven’t spent a nickel less on my kids. I just spent some on me,” he explained.

Good.....And if you whine too much more we are going to spend your damn inheritance too. ;)

Boomers didn't tend to dump their kids off to their parents while they went out every weekend and they didn't use them as daycare all the time either. It was an occasional thing and it wasn't abused like it so often is nowadays.

I never expected my parents to help raise my kids. It was nice to have them watch my kids for a few hours so we could go to dinner and a movie or some such every once in awhile.

I still help my kids out (took the G-G Grandson to daycare this morning) but it's always on my terms.....If I'm busy then it's on them.
extended families are best for raising children as well as elder care. why do you think our job creators like the "nuclear" family model so much better?

Well the selfish people of today give me great hope for my offspring. My family still does things the old way. I will soon have that hand down of wealth from my ancestors. That combined with what I have built myself. My wealth and my knowledge will be handed down to my offspring. My family works as a unit for the benefit of all members. Your selfish ways give my offspring a huge leg up on yours. My offspring will get a much larger piece of the American pie than yours as well as being surrounded by people they trust and count on. I whole heartedly appreciate the competitive advantage you are giving to my family. Thank you and God bless.

The advantage of raising your children properly is that they take responsibility for themselves and their offspring.

Forum List

Back