Captain Marvel ...

Maybe...it has been done successfully. Bond, Spiderman, Batman. The new Spiderman is, IMO, the best Spiderman thus far, so, there is certainly a way forward. But...like I said, those properties didn't shit on their fans the way Last Jedi and Captain Marvel have. They had missteps, like Bat-nipples, Bond getting married and Emo Peter Parker...but they acknowledged and rectified those misstep.

If the MCU follows in the footsteps of Star Wars, I think the backlash will destroy the franchise...which may not be so bad.

I think Endgame will be the highnote of the the series.

Winter Soldier and Civil War were excellent...but, they were team ups. And the titular ensembles were all fantastic...with Infinity War being the best so far...but...

My opinions here...Iron Man 2 & 3 weren't great, they were good. Thor 2 & 3 weren't great, they were good. Guardians 2 wasn't great, it was good. Antman and the Wasp wasn't great, it was good. So far, Captain Marvel doesn't look like it is going to be great.

Dr Strange was excellent. I understand Black Panther was excellent. That's two recent great solo movies out of how many?

What are you basing this idea of Captain Marvel being bad on? You do understand that Rotten Tomatoes is no longer useful when it comes to comic movies right? Because of the war between DC and Marvel fanboys, they shit on each other's movies on Rotten Tomatoes simply out of spite and not truth.

I'd bet money on the low RT score having nothing do do with DC fans and everything to do with Brie Larson's big fat SJW mouth.

You don't even understand her message... and what she said has nothing to do with hating on old white men... it has to do with the need for a better representation of ALL people within the entertainment community.

See people like you look at her message as this zero-sum game where in order for others to get more representation in some segment of society means YOU, YOURSELF has to lose something in return for that to happen. That's not the case, and in fact as a society we ALL gain from more inclusion of other people.

That's what happens when you view everything through a lens of hate... You assume everyone else uses the same world-view as you do because you are too small-minded to understand otherwise.

I understand her message perfectly well. It's the same rhetoric that the left has been browbeating us white guys with for over a decade now. "You don't matter, step aside, shut up" Here's what she said about "A wrinkle in Time"

“[Audiences] are not allowed enough chances to read public discourse on these films by the people that the films were made for. I do not need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work for him about ‘[A] Wrinkle in Time.’ It wasn’t made for him. I want to know what it meant to women of color, to biracial women, to teen women of color, to teens that are biracial.”

I read and loved that book as a child having no idea that it was meant exclusively for biracial trans teens.

No... again that isn't what she said AT ALL, but who on this board would think that a self-proclaimed "hater" like yourself would read any other type of message out of it?

:abgg2q.jpg:

She is stating the obvious, that when most film critics are the decision-makers for the industry and they help decide what movies actually end up getting made, how much is spent for advertising for, and other aspects... not all movies are made to please that specific demographic, and the inclusion of a more diverse set of people that are influential in the business is needed to give everyone a voice. Like I said, you think empowering new groups of people means YOU lose power, when that isn't the case, at all.

Your personal politics influences the way you interpret her comments. That's why you're white knighting for a movie you haven't even seen. Believe it or not, not everyone has strong political leanings like you and I and just wants to watch a movie based on something they enjoyed as a child, and in the case of A Wrinkle in Time or the Ghostbusters reboot, ends up being browbeaten with a politically correct bastardization.

Captain Marvel is only the latest in a long list of geeky properties to be screwed with in this fashion and fans like me are getting sick of it and want to send a message. Maybe the movie itself contains no overt political message but maybe she should have kept her mouth shut on the press tour and we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

[She is stating the obvious, that when most film critics are the decision-makers for the industry and they help decide what movies actually end up getting made, how much is spent for advertising for, and other aspects... not all movies are made to please that specific demographic, and the inclusion of a more diverse set of people that are influential in the business is needed to give everyone a voice. Like I said, you think empowering new groups of people means YOU lose power, when that isn't the case, at all.

I don't think that was what she said either.

I can link to the exact quote if you wish.

But what she said was both sexist and racist. That certain movies "weren't for" certain demographics based on gender and race.

It was ignorant virtue signalling IMO.

What are you basing this idea of Captain Marvel being bad on? You do understand that Rotten Tomatoes is no longer useful when it comes to comic movies right? Because of the war between DC and Marvel fanboys, they shit on each other's movies on Rotten Tomatoes simply out of spite and not truth.

I'd bet money on the low RT score having nothing do do with DC fans and everything to do with Brie Larson's big fat SJW mouth.

You don't even understand her message... and what she said has nothing to do with hating on old white men... it has to do with the need for a better representation of ALL people within the entertainment community.

See people like you look at her message as this zero-sum game where in order for others to get more representation in some segment of society means YOU, YOURSELF has to lose something in return for that to happen. That's not the case, and in fact as a society we ALL gain from more inclusion of other people.

That's what happens when you view everything through a lens of hate... You assume everyone else uses the same world-view as you do because you are too small-minded to understand otherwise.

I understand her message perfectly well. It's the same rhetoric that the left has been browbeating us white guys with for over a decade now. "You don't matter, step aside, shut up" Here's what she said about "A wrinkle in Time"

“[Audiences] are not allowed enough chances to read public discourse on these films by the people that the films were made for. I do not need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work for him about ‘[A] Wrinkle in Time.’ It wasn’t made for him. I want to know what it meant to women of color, to biracial women, to teen women of color, to teens that are biracial.”

I read and loved that book as a child having no idea that it was meant exclusively for biracial trans teens.

No... again that isn't what she said AT ALL, but who on this board would think that a self-proclaimed "hater" like yourself would read any other type of message out of it?

She is stating the obvious, that when most film critics are the decision-makers for the industry and they help decide what movies actually end up getting made, how much is spent for advertising for, and other aspects... not all movies are made to please that specific demographic, and the inclusion of a more diverse set of people that are influential in the business is needed to give everyone a voice. Like I said, you think empowering new groups of people means YOU lose power, when that isn't the case, at all.

Your personal politics influences the way you interpret her comments. That's why you're white knighting for a movie you haven't even seen. Believe it or not, not everyone has strong political leanings like you and I and just wants to watch a movie based on something they enjoyed as a child, and in the case of A Wrinkle in Time or the Ghostbusters reboot, ends up being browbeaten with a politically correct bastardization.

Captain Marvel is only the latest in a long list of geeky properties to be screwed with in this fashion and fans like me are getting sick of it and want to send a message. Maybe the movie itself contains no overt political message but maybe she should have kept her mouth shut on the press tour and we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Are you stalking me? How do you know if I've seen the movie or not?

BTW... you aren't a fan. The fact that you think they made Captain Marvel a woman in the movie as a political motive proves that. And you now solidify that by trying to compare it to an all women's reboot of Ghostbusters...

I guess if they make a new Green Lantern movie with a Black man in the lead role you'll do this same foot stomping? Despite the fact that in comic book canon one of the Green Lanterns, Jon Stewart was Black. See you can try all you want to have this conversation both ways to fit your argument, but it doesn't work that way. Just because your argument falls flat in a discussion with people that know their comic book canon, you think crafting a response to call all of us nerds and shit, changes things. It's your own fault you look like a fool with your arguments.

Last edited:
[She is stating the obvious, that when most film critics are the decision-makers for the industry and they help decide what movies actually end up getting made, how much is spent for advertising for, and other aspects... not all movies are made to please that specific demographic, and the inclusion of a more diverse set of people that are influential in the business is needed to give everyone a voice. Like I said, you think empowering new groups of people means YOU lose power, when that isn't the case, at all.

I don't think that was what she said either.

I can link to the exact quote if you wish.

But what she said was both sexist and racist. That certain movies "weren't for" certain demographics based on gender and race.

It was ignorant virtue signalling IMO.

No it has exactly to do with what she said as here is an article talking about it, and if you have followed the press leading up to the movie, you would have heard the controversy where some critics said she should have "smiled more" in advertisements to make he look more attractive, despite the fact they never made those same types of comments to male leads in the same genre of movies.

Brie Larson and the Horny Movie Review Epidemic

Brie Larson Was Told to Smile More and Had the Best Response

BTW... you aren't a fan. The fact that you think they made Captain Marvel a woman in the movie as a political motive proves that. And you now solidify that by trying to compare it to an all women's reboot of Ghostbusters...

I guess if they make a new Green Lantern movie with a Black man in the lead role you'll do this same foot stomping? Despite the fact that in comic book canon one of the Green Lanterns, Jon Stewart was Black. See you can try all you want to have this conversation both ways to fit your argument, but it doesn't work that way. Just because your argument falls flat in a discussion with people that know they comic book canon, you think crafting a response to call all of us nerds and shit, changes things. It's your own fault you look like a fool with your arguments.

Marvel choosing to use one of the female incarnations of the character for this film has nothing to do with the backlash. It has everything to do with the stupid words that come out of Brie Larson's mouth and the fact that people are sick to death of hearing about how awful white men are. I brought up Ghostbusters because it's relevant to the conversation. SJWs ruining nerdy videogames and movies is a trend. If Captain Marvel was the first time this has ever happened, nobody would care. But it's not the first time and it probably won't be the last.

I guess if they make a new Green Lantern movie with a Black man in the lead role you'll do this same foot stomping? Despite the fact that in comic book canon one of the Green Lanterns, Jon Stewart was Black. See you can try all you want to have this conversation both ways to fit your argument, but it doesn't work that way. Just because your argument falls flat in a discussion with people that know they comic book canon, you think crafting a response to call all of us nerds and shit, changes things. It's your own fault you look like a fool with your arguments.

Marvel choosing to use one of the female incarnations of the character for this film has nothing to do with the backlash. It has everything to do with the stupid words that come out of Brie Larson's mouth and the fact that people are sick to death of hearing about how awful white men are. I brought up Ghostbusters because it's relevant to the conversation. SJWs ruining nerdy videogames and movies is a trend. If Captain Marvel was the first time this has ever happened, nobody would care. But it's not the first time and it probably won't be the last.

You still don't understand why you are wrong. :abgg2q.jpg:

There is no canon in which there was a female set of Ghostbusters for it be part of the conversation. There is however a female version of Captain Marvel named Carol Danvers...

And I posted what she made her comment about and it isn't hating on old white guys just for the sake of doing so. She hated on AN OLD WHITE GUY film critic who was sexualizing a female movie character.

There is no canon in which there was a female set of Ghostbusters for it be part of the conversation. There is however a female version of Captain Marvel named Carol Danvers...

And I posted what she made her comment about and it isn't hating on old white guys just for the sake of doing so. She hated on AN OLD WHITE GUY film critic who was sexualizing a female movie character.

How many times do I have to say this? The backlash is due to Brie's comments not because the movie features a female lead. You, Brie the MSM and your lefty compatriots want to imagine all this is a righteous battle against "lonely, neck-bearded basement dwelling misogynist pigs who can't get a girlfriend who only want to see female actors play submissive roles because strong women scare them." That's the stereotype of the comic book geek, and that's why we're not going to see your stupid ass super hero movie because you judged us so harshly.

No it has exactly to do with what she said as here is an article talking about it, and if you have followed the press leading up to the movie, you would have heard the controversy where some critics said she should have "smiled more" in advertisements to make he look more attractive, despite the fact they never made those same types of comments to male leads in the same genre of movies.

"I don’t need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work about A Wrinkle in Time. It wasn’t made for him!"

She may have been speaking to a larger subject...but this statement is ignorant, sexist and racist. Polish that turd until the cows come home, you'll still have a handful of crap.

The reviews are in and audience scores are in the low 30’s. Sure there are trolls rating it a 0 or 1 out of ten, but there just as many SJWs rating this movie a 9 or a 10.

It’s hilarious that the SJWs are saying the white fanboys are hating on this movie simply because it stars a female. Most all comic fanboys love movies like Alien, Aliens, Terminator, Terminator 2, and even Wonder Woman. The SJWs also can’t explain why women don’t like this movie either. You can’t inject politics into a movie and cry wolf when it fails because the politics turns people off.

How many times do I have to say this? The backlash is due to Brie's comments not because the movie features a female lead. You, Brie the MSM and your lefty compatriots want to imagine all this is a righteous battle against "lonely, neck-bearded basement dwelling misogynist pigs who can't get a girlfriend who only want to see female actors play submissive roles because strong women scare them." That's the stereotype of the comic book geek, and that's why we're not going to see your stupid ass super hero movie because you judged us so harshly.

First off I'm not a leftie... and second of all you still don't understand why you are wrong with your comments... which has to do with the fact you don't know comic book canon.

The fact is, that IS WHAT the comic book geek used to be and why so many comics from the 90's had the female characters wearing hardly any clothes and have unrealistic body proportions. We no longer live in a time that, that is what takes to sell a female lead comic book hero. Yet people LIKE YOU, who don't actually know two shits about comic books are now chiming in on the subject, and when people show you why you are wrong, you fell into the same pitfall you are accusing Larson of doing. All the people in this thread that have told you and others how wrong you are about the comics, what has been your response? That we are all weak nerds. :abgg2q.jpg:

Hell it was even proven in this thread when someone brought up they didn't think Brie Larson was a good Captain Marvel because she doesn't have huge tits. It proves her point.

"I don’t need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn’t work about A Wrinkle in Time. It wasn’t made for him!"

She may have been speaking to a larger subject...but this statement is ignorant, sexist and racist. Polish that turd until the cows come home, you'll still have a handful of crap.

What's sexiest about it? A Wrinkle in Time wasn't made to be judged by the traditional Old White dude... it was a fucking kids movie. Just the same as the article I posted about some old white dude reviewing The Incredibles 2 by talking about how Mrs. Incredible was giving him a boner watching the movie.

What's sexiest about it? A Wrinkle in Time wasn't made to be judged by the traditional Old White dude... it was a fucking kids movie. Just the same as the article I posted about some old white dude reviewing The Incredibles 2 by talking about how Mrs. Incredible was giving him a boner watching the movie.

I loved the Incredibles movies. If there was something that didn't work for me about it, Brie Larson wouldn't want to hear it, just because I'm a 40 year old white dude? What if I'm a 40 year old black dude? It still wasn't "made for me". Would that be appropriate for her to say?

"I don’t need a 40-year-old black dude to tell me what didn’t work about Wreck it Ralph. It wasn’t made for him!"

If you can't see it, you've either got your blinder on, or you're being intentionally obtuse.

Last edited:
The Dark Knight" and it was an outdoor drive-in theater.

'Dark Knight' in a drive-in? That's like eating chateaubriand out of a dirty dog bowl.

Movies have changed a lot in the last few years. They got color and sound ... they even have seats with cushions.

You should try them.

Drive-ins are awesome. You can get drunk and smoke weed while watching a movie. :thup:

We used to do the drive-in most weeks. A bunch of us would go on a week night. The drive-in would open an hour early, so we would bring a grill, some coolers and have a blast. They they changed mgmt and all that changed. Damn shame. Had it great for a few years. And not in the distant past. We stopped going less than 2 years ago.

There are still a few excellent drive-ins scattered around.

A woman Captain Marvel?

SJW bullshit.

Fuck Disney.

Yeah, fuck Disney for following the comic. How dare they!

They neglected to follow the comic where it really matters

View attachment 249371

View attachment 249372

She was always just a hot piece of ass in order to sell comics to boys.
They recently had to reinvent her to appease the SJWs. Didn’t work.

captain-marvel-miss-marvel-700x597.jpg

What SJW stuff was there in the movie? Did you see it?

Female Captain Marvel is comic book canon. There is no agenda behind it.

I wouldnt see it if Disney paid me. For one, I am sick to death of super heroes but Brie Larson's smug comments about how she doesn't want to hear what white men think about her movies is what created the backlash. White men aren't allowed to say what they think in public anymore without being demonized by the media and having our reputations dragged through the mud so we are just gonna stop funding the corporations that profit off of us.

Demonized? Someone speaks out to encourage more access for women and people of color at press days, and you think that is a shot against you?

I don't think that's really true. If they go into phase 4 using the Secret Wars story line... they could just cast new famous actors to play key roles that will still be around like Captain America, Iron Man, and others.

Maybe...it has been done successfully. Bond, Spiderman, Batman. The new Spiderman is, IMO, the best Spiderman thus far, so, there is certainly a way forward. But...like I said, those properties didn't shit on their fans the way Last Jedi and Captain Marvel have. They had missteps, like Bat-nipples, Bond getting married and Emo Peter Parker...but they acknowledged and rectified those misstep.

If the MCU follows in the footsteps of Star Wars, I think the backlash will destroy the franchise...which may not be so bad.

I think Endgame will be the highnote of the the series.

Winter Soldier and Civil War were excellent...but, they were team ups. And the titular ensembles were all fantastic...with Infinity War being the best so far...but...

My opinions here...Iron Man 2 & 3 weren't great, they were good. Thor 2 & 3 weren't great, they were good. Guardians 2 wasn't great, it was good. Antman and the Wasp wasn't great, it was good. So far, Captain Marvel doesn't look like it is going to be great.

Dr Strange was excellent. I understand Black Panther was excellent. That's two recent great solo movies out of how many?

And? Do you think they will include Larson's comments about the press days in the movie previews?

If she would have just shutup and known her place, you would be fine with it? Kinda proves the point, dontcha think?

A woman Captain Marvel?

SJW bullshit.

Fuck Disney.

In fact, there have been five Captain Marvels in the comics since 1967 ... three of them were women.

Who gives a shit? I am not a nerd like you that reads comic books .

It is amazing the shithead isn't a Black homo Muslim bitch.

Disney screwed up Star Wars with that despicable SJW bullshit. Looks like they are trying to screw up everything else.

So you don't read comics. Didn't know that 60% of the Capt Marvel incarnations were female. But you are pissed off because a woman is playing the part.

Sounds like you are looking for a reason to be pissed off.

If you are a little nerd pussy and want to go see that silly SJW Disney bullshit then by all means go for it Sport. Disney would love to get your money and you seem to be just the kind of dimwit that would give it to them.

Let me guess. You simply adored Black Panther. Am I right or am I right?
Poor INCEL boys....:itsok: fragile egos bruised by female super heroes

Yea, poor INCELs....

I loved the Incredibles movies. If there was something that didn't work for me about it, Brie Larson wouldn't want to hear it, just because I'm a 40 year old white dude? What if I'm a 40 year old black dude? It still wasn't "made for me". Would that be appropriate for her to say?

"I don’t need a 40-year-old black dude to tell me what didn’t work about Wreck it Ralph. It wasn’t made for him!"

If you can't see it, you've either got your blinder on, or you're being intentionally obtuse.

Well see there is a problem with that statement, because fact is... the majority representation of film critics are old white guys, thus why her statement is true.

Forum List

Back