American Animals (Amazon Prime/Apple TV)

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
Most movies that claim to be "based on a true story" are usually 99 percent fiction. American Animals claims to actually be a true story, not based on one.

This seems to be borne out by interludes during this movie in which the actual people involved provide some background. The thieves, their parents, a teacher, and the librarian who was victimized by them.

This is one of the more interesting true crime movies I've seen.

This is about some college kids who stole some rare books.

At first, one of them just happens to mention to a friend how he had taken a tour of the library at Transylvania University in Kentucky and had been shown some extremely rare books kept in a locked room which can only be seen by appointment.

They then begin daydreaming about stealing them, and over time the fantasy becomes an actual plot, and it just takes on a momentum of its own.

We only know about these guys because they were caught, obviously, and we meet them throughout the movie.

What's interesting is all the thought and intricate planning they put into their scheme only to make stupefyingly stupid mistakes in the end which led to their capture.

I think the first surprise for me was that there is actually a college in America called Transylvania University. :lol:

Last edited:
We saw this movie a couple years ago.
It is a good one. Don't remember a lot of details, but I remember liking it and it has some solid WTF?? moments.

Forum List

Back