Canada's Lax Airport Security

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Fighting Terror by Hating AmericaBy Ted Byfield, World Net Daily
March 31, 2007

"The folks at Transport Canada seem to be insensitive to the realities," said the committee chairman, Sen. Colin Kenny. I took time last week to see what these "realties" are. The committee had spelled them out in its 2003 report, which found that while passengers were being put through intense searches, baggage gets by largely unexamined and airport workers are rarely searched at all. Here's what some witnesses had told the committee:

Chuck Wilmink, former security boss at the old Canadian Airlines: "I could take anyone in this room and in two minutes train that person on how to put a bomb on an airplane bound for any city in the world."

Here's how Paul Kavanagh, Ontario security director for Transport Canada, replied when asked if airport workers could be carrying firearms into restricted areas: "We would not know. Employees are permitted tools of the trade. It is all part of the trust relationship one has to have with the employees."

Inspector Sam Landry, RCMP chief at Toronto Airport: "Criminal organizations have penetrated many legitimate businesses. This trend is no different at Toronto's Pearson Airport." Forty-five thousand people work there, he said. If organized crime recruited 1 percent, that would represent 450 people. "Terrorists may or may not be associated with organized crime, but they can make use of the same security gaps."

The committee noted: "Eight of the 10 people arrested two years ago for conspiracy to import drugs from Jamaica through Pearson Airport worked at the airport and had passed security checks."

Sen. Kenny asked Larry Fleshman, who ran Air Canada customer service at Toronto: "Do you know whether Air Canada employees are bringing explosive or weapons to work with them?" He replied: "We cannot say."

When the committee examined the security checks on mail and freight deliverers, food and fuel suppliers, and construction workers, one unidentified aviation company owner observed: "Such persons, if they are intent on doing harm to us, might simply insert an envelope with dangerous substances, or a small device into a parcel. Which goes right into a container which goes into the hold of an Air Canada airplane and ... 'BOOM!'"

For full article:
http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=54964

Why didn't you post the full article? Actual title of article is 'Fighting terror by hating America'. It's fairly obvious it's pretty Anti-Canadian piece by an old fart who is just passing his time by writing garbage.

How much better or secure are American airports? Has there been any terrorist activities in any Canadian airports? In fact, any attempted terrorist plot in Canada has been stomped before it even began - including Hell's Angels and the like.

American rightwing nuts calls everyone who is opposed to their policies as anti-American...it's so played out...yeah, yeah the whole world hates America for it's freedooms :lol: :lol:

I'm also so sick of this campaign of fear. What's the point of living if you're always afraid of very thing that might happen and condemn others if they're fear mongering is not up to your standards.

If Americans want to continue living in fear, all the power to you but we don't need yellow or red terror alerts telling us when and why to be afraid. I have flown several times all over the world since 9/11 from the Toronto airport and security is pretty tight but not overly retarded like in the US where I was for the first time ever racially profile, frisked and had sniffing dogs :rolleyes:

Why didn't you post the full article? Actual title of article is 'Fighting terror by hating America'. It's fairly obvious it's pretty Anti-Canadian piece by an old fart who is just passing his time by writing garbage.

How much better or secure are American airports? Has there been any terrorist activities in any Canadian airports? In fact, any attempted terrorist plot in Canada has been stomped before it even began - including Hell's Angels and the like.

American rightwing nuts calls everyone who is opposed to their policies as anti-American...it's so played out...yeah, yeah the whole world hates America for it's freedooms :lol: :lol:

I'm also so sick of this campaign of fear. What's the point of living if you're always afraid of very thing that might happen and condemn others if they're fear mongering is not up to your standards.

If Americans want to continue living in fear, all the power to you but we don't need yellow or red terror alerts telling us when and why to be afraid. I have flown several times all over the world since 9/11 from the Toronto airport and security is pretty tight but not overly retarded like in the US where I was for the first time ever racially profile, frisked and had sniffing dogs :rolleyes:

Oh, yeah, right! You Canucks just want to see the collapse of America at the hands of terrorists, that way your invasion and eventual takeover of the United States will be easier! You are all in league with the Islamofacists! I see it all clearly now! You will start by sending herds of moose (or is that "meese?" "mooses?" What the hell is the plural for "moose?"), followed by the CMP and Canadian Air Force! You can no longer hide your plans, I'm onto you! ;)

Okay, so when they frisk you and inspect your luggage at the airport that's racial profiling? Well hell, if that's the case I've been racially profiled at least twice! Cool! Serioulsy though, I get your point P.

As far as living in fear, I personally haven't felt a single moment of fear, from terrorists or the threat of terrorists, in my life. Not even on 9/11. I have never once not considered going somewhere, either by car, bus, train or plane. I have never understood how anyone could. But hey, that's just me.

LOL!

Okay, so when they frisk you and inspect your luggage at the airport that's racial profiling? Well hell, if that's the case I've been racially profiled at least twice! Cool! Serioulsy though, I get your poitn P.

No it was racial profiling because they let all white people who through the metal detectors even though it went off - they didn't search them or anything.

When it came to my turn, before I even went through the metal detectors, both security guards give each other a look and one of them came up to me and told me that after I go through the detector, to go see a another security guard. So I go through the detectors, I didn't have any pockets, nothing on me - the metal detectors didn't go off but they physically patted me down and used the wand thing.

Coming back, I had the sniffing guards and I had to take off my flip flops off...like I an really hide bomb in those filmsy things :rolleyes:

Mind you, I wasn't even entering the US! I was just catching a connecting flight. The most retarded thing of all is that, passengers on connecting flights (never leaving the US airport) have to go claim their luggage!!! Usually you check your luggage in from your departure city and you claim/pick up your baggage at your final destination...but no all passengers with lay over flights have to get their luggage, go through customs, with the sniff guards and all. Makes absolutely no sense at all.

Yeah, they have pretty much messed up an already messed up system. My current policy on travel is, if I can drive to my destination, there is no reason not to. Though, with the current price of gas, well, I stay home a lot, LOL.

As you know, I travel quite a bit...never had any problems. There is no reason whatsoever not to fly just because of all these fear mongering tactics (not directed at you specifically). If someone choses not to fly for that reason, it's probably a good thing because if they're that wimpy they wouldn't be able to handle it, let alone enjoy their trip...they're losing out big time though...there is soooooooooo much beyond the US borders.

More traveling is one thing I wish I had done more of before having kids. My folks weren't world travelers and I've been on my own since I was 17 so my opportunities for world travel were practically nonexistent. Then I had kids and my money neede to go elsewhere. On the upside, now that I am older and have more money, I plan on making some of the trips I wanted to take in my youth. Should be more fun, I can afford to be irresponsible now.

Hey are you calling irresponsible? ;)

Actually I get that all the time...why is travelling considered wasting money or being irresponsible...anything but!

I haven't crossed the boarder post-911, so I can't comment much on what's going on. I can say that the last time I crossed at Brockville, they let me in with only a bus pass for ID. Our friend was refused for admitting he smoked a joint when he was 15. Pretty tough guards, eh? :eusa_doh:

Forum List

Back