Can women rock too?

Palestinians are ready to conclude a peace treaty with Israel, if the occupation of Palestinian territories ends and two states, including the independent Palestinian one, are established, the Jordanian daily newspaper Al Ghad quotes Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas as saying.

READ ALSO

Russia calls on Israel to stop its settlement activity in Palestine

"We (the Palestinians) are ready to sign a peace treaty (with Israel)and finally solve all problems, if the Israeli occupation ends and the principle of creating two independent states is implemented," the Palestinian leader noted.

More:
Palestine names conditions for peace treaty with Israel — Abbas

Watch Israel bomb Gaza now
How could this be possible? The Palestinian Authority has a limited sovereignty and all the Gaza Strip is not under its rule. :dunno:
Does Hamas agree with what Palestinian President said? :eusa_think:
Hamas is the democratically elected government of Palestine.
I thought Hamas was some kind of movement or political party.
I've heard the Palestinian government sits in Ramallah and Hamas ruled Gaza.
Am I wrong? :dunno:
Hamas is the democratically elected government of Palestine.

Look at this up and coming little girl! The harmonics at the end of the intro are nice!

And a full grown one:

That 1st girl is into dynamics. Big time (too much?) . She makes effective use, though. She's kickass!

I like the 2nd girl's style too!

Last edited:
I have a friend (a guy friend - of COURSE) who says that women can't rock. Whenever I bring up women rock bands, he says that no guys really like them and that they are "chick rock." So what do you think about it?

Unfortunately there are NOT a whole lot of women rock bands out there for me to make a valid argument. I bring up bands like Heart and I bring up lady rockers like Joan Jett, but he just laughs and says that they don't rock.

I'm looking for a good argument I can use against him. :D

Joan Armatrading totally rocked.

Debbie Ortega vocals. Heart even had men in the band.

Hole.

I like some female rockers.

Castrator, anyone? There are better versions but you can see them here:

I've seen them before, female GWAR. I don't call that rocking.
There's one with a blonde singer like that, too. Death Metal, not my thing.

No Chuck Berry riffs= Not Rockin'

What?? There are days when it is the best thing ever. It's my aggressive middle finger to the world.

One of the things I found most irritating is when the music industry decided all hard rock or heavy metal (or speed metal/death metal) was going to have to kick out ballads for air time. Female rockers were also forced into a bizarre box. Either fit into this very tiny niche that has been created just for you or you win nothing.

When guys bitch about female rockers it is usually (but not always) about what they wear or some type of behavior that has been deemed crude and vulgar....
This is followed by the music is lame. It usually is lame. It's the problem that comes with being forced into an acceptable box. In the 90s there were a bunch of chics that came out with pop music classified as rock but was a throw back to folk music. Quaint but no Joan Baez.

Which is all kind of ironic, since most rock, including metal, is pretty effeminate as a genre, and mostly marketed to females; they spend the most on music and hence the largest targeted audience for it, and always have been.

On the radio, it seems that way. The radio chooses what the options are and tells you what you get to like. There is a radio station out here that advertises itself as the music for men. It plays what would have been classified as hard rock in the 80s.

I disagree with metal. It's a subculture. Metal has a history of excluding females unless they are in a specific role (groupy/stripper). The problem is that there are women that like that energy and anger in and of itself. It's a great outlet and, in the moment, it's just music without the complications. You have to find a lot of it outside of the US to break through that stereotypical metal. Glam metal seemed to be targeted towards women and it wasn't authentic (to me).

Women spend more online but I don't know if it can be broken down more unless we look at streaming.

The Donnas rock. They prove that women can rock. The Wilson sisters too.

Then there's these 2: I don't care, that bassline is awesome! The guitar, too.

It's not "rocking" because no Chuck Berry. These 2 have talent but it's not "rocking"

Grr, I was hoping for 1 Chuck Berry but no. :(

They may not rock, but they jam. :banana:

Last edited:
Probably best known for Blues but when she decides to Rock she is hard to beat - Beth Hart.

Here is her cover of a classic:

One of her own songs:

Heart
Joplin
Pat benatar
Stevie Nicks
Annie Lennox
Joan Jett

I could go on, lol.

I hear you. I like all of them. He doesn't though. He says that while they might be talented, they can't "rock" because they are "chicks." :rolleyes-41: I mentioned some of the female artists mentioned in this thread too!

Heart
Joplin
Pat benatar
Stevie Nicks
Annie Lennox
Joan Jett

I could go on, lol.

I hear you. I like all of them. He doesn't though. He says that while they might be talented, they can't "rock" because they are "chicks." :rolleyes-41: I mentioned some of the female artists mentioned in this thread too!
Your friend is an idiot. Sorry. :lol:

He says that he doesn't want to take anything away from their talent and that they are talented but that they still can't rock. Lol. Such a jerk.

He's probably not the first person you ever met that didn't like the same music as you. If he thinks Chrissie Hynde can't rock, I'm not sure he knows what rock is anyway.

Don't know what the first sentence has to do with it. He probably isn't. :dunno: It's not about the music. He thinks that girls aren't as good at rock and roll as guys.

Heart
Joplin
Pat benatar
Stevie Nicks
Annie Lennox
Joan Jett

I could go on, lol.

Your friend is an idiot. Sorry. :lol:

He's really nice and I like a lot of things about him, but he can be a bit of a chauvinistic pig at times! :dunno: Nobody's perfect, I suppose. :lol:

Probably best known for Blues but when she decides to Rock she is hard to beat - Beth Hart.

Here is her cover of a classic:

One of her own songs:

Yes, great choice. I've heard of Beth Hart before and I really liked her. :clap2: This is the one I heard with Joe Bonamassa, who is also very talented.

Forum List

Back