Jimmy Page Pays Tribute to Link Wray with Surprise Performance of “Rumble” at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony

Hellbilly

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 2016
Aniyuawiya

Last night’s Rock & Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony at the Barclays Center in New York was a star-studded event. Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page made a surprise appearance to perform and induct Link Wray into the Hall of Fame. (Watch one legend pay tribute to another below.)

Before taking the stage, Page appeared in a pre-recorded video saluting Wray’s massive influence on rock music. “I’m really proud and honored to induct Link Wray into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame,” Page began. “If ever there was a guitarist who deserved this, if ever there was a guitarist who changed people’s attitude to what they heard, it’s Link Wray,” he continued...
Wray reinvented the wheel when he released “Rumble” in 1958. The heavy distortion and tremolo he added to his guitar sound was a revelation for rock guitarists. With that single, Wray showed the world, as Page put it, “how much drama” a musician could bring to the sonic landscape with just six strings.

You may have never heard of Link Wray but you have heard his song "Rumble." You have also heard of the guitar players he influenced.

Link Wray was the first (and only as far as I know) musician to have an instrumental song banned for fear it would incite violence.

He was also featured in the film Rumble: The Indians Who Rocked The World.

A simple but sonic sound that influenced many. My guess is that he uses open strings. Page also employed unique open string tunings, perhaps influenced by Wray.

You had the blues based sounds of Jimmie Hendrix that had huge influence, then you had the sounds of Wray that he totally came up with himself that had the some of the influential power of Hendrix.
It is interesting that almost no one has heard of Wray, and he is almost never credited as an influence by anyone. However - the sounds he made are everywhere in other bands of the 60s.

I bet there was a line of legendary guitarists who would love to be the one to induct Link Wray.

My girlfriend and I were talking about this. Both of us wondered how Link Wray was not already in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Then she talked about seeing him live at the Star Community Bar in Atlanta. And Los Straightjackets opened for him. I envy her the shows she saw there.

My girlfriend and I were talking about this. Both of us wondered how Link Wray was not already in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Then she talked about seeing him live at the Star Community Bar in Atlanta. And Los Straightjackets opened for him. I envy her the shows she saw there.
you were wondering why he wasnt in this so called R&R hall of fame?...there are a bunch of people from the 50's and 60's that should be there but dont even get nominated....Dick Dale being another one....the place started off good,but became kind of pathetic....

Forum List

Back