Can an actor be "Great"?

As far as actors talking about politics......it is their right
If you don't want to listen or mock what they say...that is your right

Some actors are so good at talking about politics that they even run for political office
One was even elected President

Actors are nothing more than storytellers that use their voice and body to simulate or imitate a facet of the story. Most actors never write or direct the stories they tell. They are nothing more than entertainers, and far too often are grossly overpaid for what they do.

3D animation is increasingly realistic and could in the near future replace the need for overpaid actors.

CG generated characters could (probably will) largely replace live actors, because you can have them do exactly what you want, say exactly what you want them to say, you don't have to pay them, and they never go diva on you.

Maybe it's just me, but I am really nauseated by the fame, adulation, and even respect that our society gives to ACTORS.

We have scores of programs in which hosts and "reporters" breathlessly report on the words, doings, and rumors about one actor or another, as though these people mattered more than, say, the plumber you call when your toilet is blocked.

They don't.

An actor, by definition, is someone who pretends to be a (usually) fictitious person. The fictitious person and their words are created by someone else, and the actor either memorizes or reads them for the audience. The good ones do so in a way that is" believable." But even this is largely nonsense. Real people don't emote in the same way as actors, whose fake feelings are exaggerated for effect.

In most cases, the actor is only one of a large number of people who, together, create a spectacle that the audience finds appealing. There are directors who coach the actors, make-up artists who make them look believable, costume and set designers, musicians...the list goes on and on. Take away these other people and what do you have? Someone pretending to be someone else.

Big deal.

To the extent that I see, read, or hear actors speaking for themselves, most of them have very little of value to say. Often, they are nowhere near as intelligent or insightful as the people they portray, and - truth be known - their real-life experience and education are sorely lacking. Thus, their pronouncements on anything other than the stuff they work in, day and day out, is relatively worthless.

The more successful they are, the more likely they are worthless sots, immersed in drugs, drink, and promiscuous sex. Their couplings and pairings - noted studiously by the Press - are an absurdity. Tom Cruise' next wife will probably be attending her Senior Prom in high school next year.

Did you really want to know who they were voting for earlier this year?

Why?

Anyway...just venting. I saw a program from the Kennedy Center the other night on television, where Al Pacino was figuratively canonized.

I don't get it.
Do you "get" the difference between talent and celebrity?

Actors are nothing more than storytellers that use their voice and body to simulate or imitate a facet of the story. Most actors never write or direct the stories they tell. They are nothing more than entertainers, and far too often are grossly overpaid for what they do.

3D animation is increasingly realistic and could in the near future replace the need for overpaid actors.

CG generated characters could (probably will) largely replace live actors, because you can have them do exactly what you want, say exactly what you want them to say, you don't have to pay them, and they never go diva on you.

It will replace actors but not leading actors.

It will replace actors but not leading actors.

I really doubt CG will replace real actors

They will have a place in action movies and the latest superhero flick, but the public will still relate to real actors

There have already been a few movies that were 100% CGI (The 300, Disney Christmas Carol) they did OK but nobody seems to be rushing to do CGI movies instead of real actors

Maybe it's just me, but I am really nauseated by the fame, adulation, and even respect that our society gives to ACTORS.

We have scores of programs in which hosts and "reporters" breathlessly report on the words, doings, and rumors about one actor or another, as though these people mattered more than, say, the plumber you call when your toilet is blocked.

They don't.

An actor, by definition, is someone who pretends to be a (usually) fictitious person. The fictitious person and their words are created by someone else, and the actor either memorizes or reads them for the audience. The good ones do so in a way that is" believable." But even this is largely nonsense. Real people don't emote in the same way as actors, whose fake feelings are exaggerated for effect.

In most cases, the actor is only one of a large number of people who, together, create a spectacle that the audience finds appealing. There are directors who coach the actors, make-up artists who make them look believable, costume and set designers, musicians...the list goes on and on. Take away these other people and what do you have? Someone pretending to be someone else.

Big deal.

To the extent that I see, read, or hear actors speaking for themselves, most of them have very little of value to say. Often, they are nowhere near as intelligent or insightful as the people they portray, and - truth be known - their real-life experience and education are sorely lacking. Thus, their pronouncements on anything other than the stuff they work in, day and day out, is relatively worthless.

The more successful they are, the more likely they are worthless sots, immersed in drugs, drink, and promiscuous sex. Their couplings and pairings - noted studiously by the Press - are an absurdity. Tom Cruise' next wife will probably be attending her Senior Prom in high school next year.

Did you really want to know who they were voting for earlier this year?

Why?

Anyway...just venting. I saw a program from the Kennedy Center the other night on television, where Al Pacino was figuratively canonized.

I don't get it.
It's just you. ;)

Artists, be it theater, painters, whatever, are often talented in their fields, but flakier than week old biscuits. I don't pay any attention to someone just because they are famous, can throw a ball or look pretty on television. There are people who do, but that's their choice.

Can an actor be great?

manyfacesgaryoldman.jpg

Yes.

So your point is that they may be a great actor but not a great person or great piano player....
nor honest or sincere. They can be complete fucking assholes who troll others with droll comments just because they disagree with them on other issues. Note some of the Twitter comments by Hollywood's elite on issues outside of their career fields.

...How profound
Thanks, but disagreed. It's just common sense that a person who is great at one thing isn't necessarily great at all things. Higher IQ people readily understand this, the lower IQ ones, including political partisans, tend to by befuddled by such ideas.

We are on the cusp of CGI replacing actors. The character Tarkin from earlier Star Wars movies is entirely CGI in the new Rogue One film:

So your point is that they may be a great actor but not a great person or great piano player....
nor honest or sincere. They can be complete fucking assholes who troll others with droll comments just because they disagree with them on other issues. Note some of the Twitter comments by Hollywood's elite on issues outside of their career fields.

...How profound
Thanks, but disagreed. It's just common sense that a person who is great at one thing isn't necessarily great at all things. Higher IQ people readily understand this, the lower IQ ones, including political partisans, tend to by befuddled by such ideas.

Ron Reagan was a two term President

...How profound

Correct. A good one too. So how does that add to the conversation? Are you agreeing with me or disagreeing?

...How profound

Correct. A good one too. So how does that add to the conversation? Are you agreeing with me or disagreeing?

Arnold Schwarzenegger
Jesse Ventura
Al Franken

All entertainers turned politician

...How profound

Arnold Schwarzenegger
Jesse Ventura
Al Franken

Yep. Clint Eastwood, Fred Thompson, Sonny Bono too.

SAG has over 129,000 active members and over 54,000 withdrawn/suspended members. How many are "great" or became "great" politicians. Do the math, show your work, please.

...How profound

Arnold Schwarzenegger
Jesse Ventura
Al Franken

Yep. Clint Eastwood, Fred Thompson, Sonny Bono too.

SAG has over 129,000 active members and over 54,000 withdrawn/suspended members. How many are "great" or became "great" politicians. Do the math, show your work, please.

Maths.jpg

Forum List

Back