California v Amazon

With attitudes like y'all expousing, expect the US to be the next Greece within the next 50 years. God you guys are dumbfucks...seriously...

So you think Amazon shouldn't pay taxes? Why do you think Greece is totally fucked at the moment? Because they don't pay taxes! Roads, govt, public hospitals, sewage - don't get paid out of thin air.

You guys are dumb as posts. I use Amazon, but will now seriously think about going elsewhere...fuck neocons are dumb, dumb, dumb....
Can you please explain why you think businesses should remain in states that make it difficult to stay in business?

You mean the company that had a turn over of $34 billion and a net profit of $1.1 billion is finding it difficult to stay in business?

With attitudes like y'all expousing, expect the US to be the next Greece within the next 50 years. God you guys are dumbfucks...seriously...

So you think Amazon shouldn't pay taxes? Why do you think Greece is totally fucked at the moment? Because they don't pay taxes! Roads, govt, public hospitals, sewage - don't get paid out of thin air.

You guys are dumb as posts. I use Amazon, but will now seriously think about going elsewhere...fuck neocons are dumb, dumb, dumb....
Can you please explain why you think businesses should remain in states that make it difficult to stay in business?

It's risk reward. If a state makes it difficult to "stay in business", but that business can make a hefty profit, then that business would be foolish to leave. That's what's so funny about you guys saying that all these companies fled CA due to taxes. CA is the most populace state in the country and there are tons of markets to tap in to. A business leaving solely due to taxes is a short-sighted business.

Everything is more expensive there. Taxes is only one of the reasons. It's actually the straw that broke the Camel's back.

Or it could be the fact that Grecians expect cradle to grave entitlements and they are pissed cause they cannot retire at 50. Ya think?

It's actually 53. But you are right, that is part of the problem too. And what pays for their retirement? Taxes. And where do they get the taxes from? They don't. Only the govt employees pay tax and that is only because they are on the books and have to. That aside, 53 as a retirement age is silly and they are finding that out.

Look, don't get me wrong - I get pissed when the govt wastes taxpayers money too. It hits a nerve. However, my answer is to make them more accountable. From what I'm reading here, the peanut gallery are clapping Amazon for not paying taxes. Take that to its logical conclusion, welcome to Greece....

Or it could be the fact that Grecians expect cradle to grave entitlements and they are pissed cause they cannot retire at 50. Ya think?

It's actually 53. But you are right, that is part of the problem too. And what pays for their retirement? Taxes. And where do they get the taxes from? They don't. Only the govt employees pay tax and that is only because they are on the books and have to. That aside, 53 as a retirement age is silly and they are finding that out.

Look, don't get me wrong - I get pissed when the govt wastes taxpayers money too. It hits a nerve. However, my answer is to make them more accountable. From what I'm reading here, the peanut gallery are clapping Amazon for not paying taxes. Take that to its logical conclusion, welcome to Greece....

I know taxes are necessary. But here's the deal. When the takers out number the givers, the country is going down. As for Amazon.. They must compete. They are a corporation. You cannot blame them for finding a more suitable business environment. Maybe California should think of making a business friendly environment. More business, more workers, more taxes.

Charleston vs LA???? HA!! Charleston every single freakin day. Far less traffic. Almost no pollution. A crime rate that is, God, not even comparable to LA. LOW TAXES. Cleaner beachers. Less botox. Better golf.

I can honestly say I can't think of 1 single reason I'd rather live in LA over Charleston, SC.

I think it comes down to this....which is MORE important:

1- The government taking in more revenue
2- Unemployed citizens becoming employed

If 2 happens, 1 will eventually work out. But not vice versa. SC didn't like telling Amazon they wouldn't pay sales tax. BUT....they prioritized. And they felt putting SC folks to work was more important than collecting sales tax from the company that brought the jobs.

Because in reality, if Amazon DIDN'T come to SC, they still wouldn't get that sales tax money. If Amazon did, they wouldn't get it. EITHER WAY....SC wasn't getting that sales tax. So why not go ahead and welcome the jobs?? SC > CA on this one.

I can honestly say I can't think of 1 single reason I'd rather live in LA over Charleston, SC.

L.A. has never been hit by a hurricane.

No, but LA has been hit by:

- Huge earthquakes
- Massive pollution
- Fires
- Riots
- Rampant liberalism

We can see a 'cane coming days ahead of time and leave. And the only big one in the last 100 years was Hugo in 89. Those suckers ALWAYS turn north before hitting SC for some reason.

I still pick Charleston 365 days a year in that choice.

Charleston vs LA???? HA!! Charleston every single freakin day. Far less traffic. Almost no pollution. A crime rate that is, God, not even comparable to LA. LOW TAXES. Cleaner beachers. Less botox. Better golf.

Did you ever get to eat shrimp and grits in Charleston?

California has hot women. Thats it. The rest of the state is a fucking disaster. Unfortunately, the tax money the folks in South Carolina pay will one day bail CA out for their stupidity.

Hot women.

Hispanics are taking over the state.

I guess Hispanic women are hot.

I think California is beautiful.....but the women aren't particularly hot there.

but of course they are in Tenn. i suppose....:eusa_eh:

It's risk reward. If a state makes it difficult to "stay in business", but that business can make a hefty profit, then that business would be foolish to leave. That's what's so funny about you guys saying that all these companies fled CA due to taxes. CA is the most populace state in the country and there are tons of markets to tap in to. A business leaving solely due to taxes is a short-sighted business.
Why? Does CA have an established history of short-lived taxes and burdensome regulation on business?

Hint: No.

But keep beating the dog. And tell yourself that he likes it.

You mean the company that had a turn over of $34 billion and a net profit of $1.1 billion is finding it difficult to stay in business?
It's difficult to stay in business in CA, apparently.

Since you're not on the board, I guess your opinion of how they should handle their business is meaningless.

California v Amazon

You just have to wonder what reality these people live in. Maybe they can blame their absolute stupidity on excessive drug use. I would hate to think that these people actually believe they are doing the right thing.

Last edited:

But, I don't think anyone here has shown that. Sure, paying zero taxes is very appealing, and I'm sure some companies have left so they could take advantage of that, but having to pay taxes is not a crippling expense. There are tons of companies across the country that are doing very well and paying taxes too.

Plus, Amazon is the type of company that could go anywhere. A skilled worker base isn't a major requirement. A company with specialized labour is not going to pick up and move to a place that is lacking in that labour pool. The costs wouldn't be in their favour.

Did you ever get to eat shrimp and grits in Charleston?

Oh yeah, the best!!! The Charleston Crab House on Folly Beach is tops in the area, I think. There are SO MANY amazing restaurants in that city, I could live there 10 years and never get close to eating at them all. But the shrimp n grits were great.

Also, if you're ever there, there is a place called the Noisy Oyster downtown. The food is ok, but, they have fried gator tail that is unreal good. Worth the mediocre meal just to get the gator tail.

I'm sure it'll never live up to the pollution, crime, liberalism, quakes and fires, and overall shitty conditions of California.

Of course, if you're looking for a haven for dykes and fudge packers, well, SanFran may be a better option.

the crime rate in most Cal Cities buc is not that bad.....we have many cities that are always in the top 30 Safest Cities lists......here in OC we have like 4 of them....hey we get quakes and fires.....look whats happening right now in the rest of the Country....fires and flooding....

CA will surely miss that revenue.

But, I don't think anyone here has shown that. Sure, paying zero taxes is very appealing, and I'm sure some companies have left so they could take advantage of that, but having to pay taxes is not a crippling expense. There are tons of companies across the country that are doing very well and paying taxes too.

Plus, Amazon is the type of company that could go anywhere. A skilled worker base isn't a major requirement. A company with specialized labour is not going to pick up and move to a place that is lacking in that labour pool. The costs wouldn't be in their favour.

Boeing did. Charleston is a tourism industry, not manufacturing. So....Boeing came, and then partnered with local Trident College to start an entirely new aerospace technical school to train future employees. And Boeing used some of that money saved to donate millions to the local hospitals out of good will.

Apparantly, the costs for them, and BMW, and Southwest Air, and others who came to SC, were just right. In fact, the paper just announced our local police department is getting a pay raise this year, and NO ONE is complaining. Gov't employees, getting raises, and the locals are doing well enough that no one really cares. SC is definitely not in the same boat as Cali right now.

Forum List

Back