California v Amazon

I visited Californication just recently. I wanted to purchase a small DVD player so I could watch a movie on the airplane on the return trip home. Cost in California $179.00 before taxes. Amazon had the same product. $139.00 NO taxes and NO shipping. Guess who got my business?

and because that component has a screen, cali law says the retailer must collect I think its $16 dollars per unit when sold. ....yup....

You guys saw this, right? This snippet is from Yahoo.com, wonder how many jobs will be lost.

.....California Governor Jerry Brown signed a bill into law Wednesday requiring online businesses to pay state sales tax, calling it “a common sense idea,” but Amazon and other large online retailers said they no longer see the business sense in staying in the Golden State.

Amazon and Overstock.com both announced shortly after the bill was signed that they will be closing all of their affiliate programs in California. Affiliates are small websites and businesses that sell products through sites like Amazon and receive a small commission.

The new law requires large online retailers to collect and file state sales tax on purchases made by California customers. California hopes to raise an estimated $317 million a year in new state and local government revenue through the added sales tax collections.

The State Board of Equalization has estimated there are 25,000 affiliates in California, 10,000 of which make money through an affiliation with Amazon.

Not anymore, though.

“We oppose this bill because it is unconstitutional and counterproductive,” Amazon said in an email to its affiliates. “It is supported by big-box retailers, most of which are based outside California, that seek to harm the affiliate advertising programs of their competitors.”

Overstock.com, a large Utah-based online retailer, sent a similar email to its California affiliates.

“We think this law is unconstitutional,” said Mark Griffin, Overstock’s general counsel, in an interview with the San Jose Mercury News. “We sent a final note to our California affiliates today. It’s a business decision that we had to make.”

The bold part is why CA is sinking. Liberals don't understand that in trying to raise tax revenue, they lose tax revenue 1000 fold when they pull this type of crap.

Well, CA lost 1 million working people over the last decade to other states. I guess they haven't figured out that the tax-the-hell-out-of-people thing doesn't make a lot of sense for businesses/workers, and that they can just relocate to another state or country.

Texas will take them.

And leftists wonder why people say they're soft on crime. :cuckoo:

He forgot to mention they need the votes! :cuckoo:

Illegals...sleeping with the California governors that Americans won't! :lol:

but but but wait,, didn't they just say Meg Whitman wasn't fit to be Gov. because she hired an illegal?? why yes,, I think the hypocrites did.. In Meg Whitman's case I guess it "wasn't the right thing to do." oh my..

California has hot women. Thats it. The rest of the state is a fucking disaster. Unfortunately, the tax money the folks in South Carolina pay will one day bail CA out for their stupidity.

Hot women.

Hispanics are taking over the state.

I guess Hispanic women are hot.

I think California is beautiful.....but the women aren't particularly hot there.

California has hot women. Thats it. The rest of the state is a fucking disaster. Unfortunately, the tax money the folks in South Carolina pay will one day bail CA out for their stupidity.

Hot women.

I think California is beautiful.....but the women aren't particularly hot there.

Disagree. Go to any college campus in CA and then type that statement.

With attitudes like y'all expousing, expect the US to be the next Greece within the next 50 years. God you guys are dumbfucks...seriously...

So you think Amazon shouldn't pay taxes? Why do you think Greece is totally fucked at the moment? Because they don't pay taxes! Roads, govt, public hospitals, sewage - don't get paid out of thin air.

You guys are dumb as posts. I use Amazon, but will now seriously think about going elsewhere...fuck neocons are dumb, dumb, dumb....

How is it a good thing that an online company is able to skirt tax requirements? I do not see how this is a plus. I do understand the move that Amazon did though and CA should have known better than to address this issue in this manner. The fact is, if state tax revenue is to be gained from online retailers there has to be a federal law that allows the states to do so based solely on the destination of the purchase. Until that occurs, there is no way for a state to effectively collect sales tax. I would actually be FOR a law like that.

With attitudes like y'all expousing, expect the US to be the next Greece within the next 50 years. God you guys are dumbfucks...seriously...

So you think Amazon shouldn't pay taxes? Why do you think Greece is totally fucked at the moment? Because they don't pay taxes! Roads, govt, public hospitals, sewage - don't get paid out of thin air.

You guys are dumb as posts. I use Amazon, but will now seriously think about going elsewhere...fuck neocons are dumb, dumb, dumb....
Can you please explain why you think businesses should remain in states that make it difficult to stay in business?

AND DOWN GOES ANOTHER ONE!!!!

Like Boeing fleeing Seattle for Charleston, SC, Amazon is also going to South Carolina:

Amazon to bring hundreds of jobs to South Carolina | WCBD-TV 2

Headline: Amazon To Bring Hundreds of Jobs To South Carolina

SC told Amazon they could be excused from the sales tax. In full disclosure, many SC Democrats fought against this. Some moderates and even business owning GOP members didn't like it much. BUT.....all agreed in the end, and Amazon is coming to Columbia SC where it's low tax, non-union, business friendly. Will the SC government miss out on some sales tax dollars from Amazon? Yep. Will hundreds of unemployed SC residents get a job with Amazon? Yep. Will those new, hundreds of employees get an Amazon paycheck, and spend that check at other SC businesses and then send that new sales tax revenue to SC anyway? Yep.

Hey Left Coast: We're in SC cheering you guys on!! Keep tilting left and driving your businesses to us, we'll take it!!!

Wait til those Amazon people get a taste of SC living...:lol::lol::lol:

Hot women.

Oh yeah, I find many Hispanic women to be very attractive. I'm a dark hair/dark eyes guy, and the ones that aren't fat can be attractive. Thats universal though. I find fat ones ugly regardless of race.

Like Boeing fleeing Seattle for Charleston, SC, Amazon is also going to South Carolina:

SC told Amazon they could be excused from the sales tax. In full disclosure, many SC Democrats fought against this. Some moderates and even business owning GOP members didn't like it much. BUT.....all agreed in the end, and Amazon is coming to Columbia SC where it's low tax, non-union, business friendly. Will the SC government miss out on some sales tax dollars from Amazon? Yep. Will hundreds of unemployed SC residents get a job with Amazon? Yep. Will those new, hundreds of employees get an Amazon paycheck, and spend that check at other SC businesses and then send that new sales tax revenue to SC anyway? Yep.

Hey Left Coast: We're in SC cheering you guys on!! Keep tilting left and driving your businesses to us, we'll take it!!!

Which part? The amazing beaches? Beautiful women? Low taxes? Wonderful weather? Great food?

Maybe they'll live in the 4th best city in America: Charleston Named Fourth Best City in America | Charleston Area CVB

I'm sure it'll never live up to the pollution, crime, liberalism, quakes and fires, and overall shitty conditions of California.

Of course, if you're looking for a haven for dykes and fudge packers, well, SanFran may be a better option.

I've been there. It's really nice. A better standard of living then California these days.

South Carolina isn't full of Red-necks and hicks like you think.

Afterall, Bodecea, who would want to live somewhere they can pay very low taxes, get a 4 bedroom 3 bath house for $150,000 in the 4th best city in America, near clean beaches, unpolluted air, world class golf courses, wonderful weather, and in a city deemed the Most Mannerly City in America for 12 years straight.

Yeah, dumb ass Amazon, they should stick to high tax, high crime, high pollution, over-prized, Botox addicted California.

What's wrong with SC living?

I've been there. It's really nice. A better standard of living then California these days.

South Carolina isn't full of Red-necks and hicks like you think.

Yeah, SC is wonderful. I will say, some of the public schools aren't that good, but every larger city in the state has plenty of good schools if you live in the right spots. But the food, beaches, weather, people are wonderful. Charleston isn't really a secret, it's well known as one of the best cities in the country, if not the world, to visit and live. But if you're ever in the area, the best kept secret in the state, and one of the best in the South and country imo, is Greenville, SC. The downtown area is amazing. It's clean. LOTS of exercise opportunities and a community that is very proactive in being financially and physically responsible. GREAT city.

Or it could be the fact that Grecians expect cradle to grave entitlements and they are pissed cause they cannot retire at 50. Ya think?

Can you please explain why you think businesses should remain in states that make it difficult to stay in business?

It's risk reward. If a state makes it difficult to "stay in business", but that business can make a hefty profit, then that business would be foolish to leave. That's what's so funny about you guys saying that all these companies fled CA due to taxes. CA is the most populace state in the country and there are tons of markets to tap in to. A business leaving solely due to taxes is a short-sighted business.

Forum List

Back