California v Amazon

I'm sure it'll never live up to the pollution, crime, liberalism, quakes and fires, and overall shitty conditions of California.

Of course, if you're looking for a haven for dykes and fudge packers, well, SanFran may be a better option.

the crime rate in most Cal Cities buc is not that bad.....we have many cities that are always in the top 30 Safest Cities lists......here in OC we have like 4 of them....hey we get quakes and fires.....look whats happening right now in the rest of the Country....fires and flooding....

Yeah, to be fair, I'm sure there are many great places in CA. This discussion started focusing on LA, but CA as a whole, well, I obviously haven't visited most of it, just as most havent visited SC at all.

But I have spent time in LA, SD, and SF. SD was ok. But LA and SF? I'd take a 50% lower pay to live in Charleston over either of those places.

It's difficult to stay in business in CA, apparently.

But, I don't think anyone here has shown that. Sure, paying zero taxes is very appealing, and I'm sure some companies have left so they could take advantage of that, but having to pay taxes is not a crippling expense. There are tons of companies across the country that are doing very well and paying taxes too.

Plus, Amazon is the type of company that could go anywhere. A skilled worker base isn't a major requirement. A company with specialized labour is not going to pick up and move to a place that is lacking in that labour pool. The costs wouldn't be in their favour.

:rolleyes:..

case in point;

http://www.cypress.com/?docID=17905

now after reading that, ask yourself, did Boxer or Fienstein work to introduce leg. to lift the quota on H-1B visas?

and-

ABC-Anywhere but California, unless you are a Lifeguard govt employee earning $211,000 per year
Ken Sweeney · May. 11 at 11:52am

California has been selected the worst state in which to do business for the 7th year in a row in an annual survey of 550 CEO’s across the nation.

"ABC -- Anywhere But California," said T.J. Rodgers, CEO of Cypress Semiconductor, a $668 million chip maker headquartered in San Jose, California, and with plants in 10 countries. "It's expensive, it's hostile to business, and environmental regulations are more of a drag on business than protecting the environment." Cypress Semiconductor's headcount in California peaked at 1,500. It's now down to about 600.

cypress has 100 people left, I know this because I used to work for a Semiconductor manuf. and did bus. with them on Zanker rd. in San Jose........go google his thoughts on the matter....

go google paull otellinis thoughts on doing bus. in cali ( hes the ceo of Intel).....they have as of april 09 not ONE Fab ( Semiconductor manuf plant) left in cali. not a one....neither does IBM etc etc etc etc ...

Last edited:
Can you please explain why you think businesses should remain in states that make it difficult to stay in business?

You mean the company that had a turn over of $34 billion and a net profit of $1.1 billion is finding it difficult to stay in business?
It's difficult to stay in business in CA, apparently.

Since you're not on the board, I guess your opinion of how they should handle their business is meaningless.

for small businesses it is pretty tuff.......

Yeah, to be fair, I'm sure there are many great places in CA. This discussion started focusing on LA, but CA as a whole, well, I obviously haven't visited most of it, just as most havent visited SC at all.

But I have spent time in LA, SD, and SF. SD was ok. But LA and SF? I'd take a 50% lower pay to live in Charleston over either of those places.
i work with a guy from SC.....he says its nice back there too.....i asked him if when he retires is he going back....he said its going to be tough because its pretty nice in Orange County too....BUT....he is a die hard Conservative and even though OC is one of the last "Republican" strongholds out here....its still to "Liberal for his tastes.....:lol:

You just have to wonder what reality these people live in. Maybe they can blame their absolute stupidity on excessive drug use. I would hate to think that these people actually believe they are doing the right thing.

who are "these people?".......

I think it refers to liberals. If I could AFFORD to live in California it would be in a little town called Morrow Bay.

Jerry Seinfeld used to say that....:lol:.....but yea Morrow Bay is nice Willow.....but you living amongst all those "Liberals".....i wanna have a seat at the Coffee shop to hear the daily Discussions......:lol:

Again, because no one seems to want to touch the point, do all of you that are cheering on Amazon believe that it is preferable for a business to be able to skirt all state government tax?

Again, because no one seems to want to touch the point, do all of you that are cheering on Amazon believe that it is preferable for a business to be able to skirt all state government tax?

http://boe.ca.gov/pdf/pub79b.pdf

People are still required to pay taxes on online purchases, unless they want to cheat on their returns and not claim the purchases.

Online Purchases - California Sales and Use Tax

California residents are also required to pay a tax when they purchase tangible property that will be used, consumed, or stored in California. California law requires tax on in-state purchases, and also requires tax on items purchased out-of-state for use in California. Tax collected by the retailer here in California is called sales tax, and the retailer is responsible for reporting and paying the tax. When an out-of-state or online retailer doesn't collect the tax for an item delivered to California, the purchaser may owe "use tax," which is simply a tax on the use, storage, or consumption of personal property in California. Items that are exempt from sales tax are exempt from use tax as well. Use tax liabilities are often created by Internet or mail order purchases with out-of-state retailers not required to collect the tax. If you are purchasing from an online auction seller you may have a Use Tax responsibility. Be sure to review your receipts for Internet and other out-of-state purchases to determine if tax was charged. For more information, go to the California Board of Equalization website at California State Board of Equalization. You can also call their Information Center at 800.400.7115.

More information:

* Pub 61 – Sales and Use Taxes: Exemptions and Exclusions
* Pub 79-B – California Use Tax for Purchases Made From Out-of-State Businesses
* Pub 105 – District Taxes and Delivered Sales
* Pub 110 – California Use Tax Basics
* Pub 123 – California Businesses: How to Identify California Use Tax Due
* FTB 988 – California Use Tax and Your Filing Requirements
FTB 3730 – Online Buying or Selling—Know Your Tax Obligation

This debate is so fucking dumb. This is what you get "liberals," and 100% predictable too.

Yes yes yes, people might buy stuff from a store now but a few things to consider that of course, you haven't. Now people have less options, way less... Now people have to pay more, possibly way more... Many jobs were lost and I highly doubt you will see a surge in jobs to make up for it.

This is what you get when you try and abolish greed, you get a less quality less competitive product that is more costly and harder to find. Grats liberals you're literally going backwards in time! And I'll bet you don't make shit for revenue when taken in context to what was lost.

I like the poster I think I saw on the front page, he said something like it's their loss... LOL, how much is the tax, 10%? Think about that, they might not even be making that much profit on products, that's why they can give such great deals.

It's like FDR all over again... Some dumb ass's think keeping costs high is the answer... lets repeat history, please... I so can't wait for another depression. The best part is Liberals would blame a depression on "Small Government" by blaming big Government Republicans who are JUST LIKE THEM.

California's unfriendly business environment has been bleeding jobs for at least a couple of decades now.

They and some of our fearless leaders in Washington continue to operate under the delusion that if you just raise taxes enough, you can eliminate deficits and balance budgets. Unfortunately, neither has been taking into account how those higher taxes plus excess regulation affects behavior. If a business can be more competitive in another state, it is likely going to move to another state. And each time that happens, there are fewer jobs and fewer people paying any taxes.

At the Federal level, an unfriendly and uncertain tax and regulation policy is sidelining trillions of dollars of investment capital as American businesses wait for a more favorable and certain policy to be implemented. So millions are out of work and paying no taxes at all.

What is the solution via our fearless leaders? Raise taxes more instead of implementing policy that encourages business to hire, expand, and produce and thus create many more tax payers.

AND DOWN GOES ANOTHER ONE!!!!

Like Boeing fleeing Seattle for Charleston, SC, Amazon is also going to South Carolina:

Amazon to bring hundreds of jobs to South Carolina | WCBD-TV 2

Headline: Amazon To Bring Hundreds of Jobs To South Carolina

SC told Amazon they could be excused from the sales tax. In full disclosure, many SC Democrats fought against this. Some moderates and even business owning GOP members didn't like it much. BUT.....all agreed in the end, and Amazon is coming to Columbia SC where it's low tax, non-union, business friendly. Will the SC government miss out on some sales tax dollars from Amazon? Yep. Will hundreds of unemployed SC residents get a job with Amazon? Yep. Will those new, hundreds of employees get an Amazon paycheck, and spend that check at other SC businesses and then send that new sales tax revenue to SC anyway? Yep.

Hey Left Coast: We're in SC cheering you guys on!! Keep tilting left and driving your businesses to us, we'll take it!!!

Wait til those Amazon people get a taste of SC living...:lol::lol::lol:
What's wrong with SC living?

fly over country?

http://boe.ca.gov/pdf/pub79b.pdf

People are still required to pay taxes on online purchases, unless they want to cheat on their returns and not claim the purchases.

Online Purchases - California Sales and Use Tax

California residents are also required to pay a tax when they purchase tangible property that will be used, consumed, or stored in California. California law requires tax on in-state purchases, and also requires tax on items purchased out-of-state for use in California. Tax collected by the retailer here in California is called sales tax, and the retailer is responsible for reporting and paying the tax. When an out-of-state or online retailer doesn't collect the tax for an item delivered to California, the purchaser may owe "use tax," which is simply a tax on the use, storage, or consumption of personal property in California. Items that are exempt from sales tax are exempt from use tax as well. Use tax liabilities are often created by Internet or mail order purchases with out-of-state retailers not required to collect the tax. If you are purchasing from an online auction seller you may have a Use Tax responsibility. Be sure to review your receipts for Internet and other out-of-state purchases to determine if tax was charged. For more information, go to the California Board of Equalization website at California State Board of Equalization. You can also call their Information Center at 800.400.7115.

More information:

* Pub 61 – Sales and Use Taxes: Exemptions and Exclusions
* Pub 79-B – California Use Tax for Purchases Made From Out-of-State Businesses
* Pub 105 – District Taxes and Delivered Sales
* Pub 110 – California Use Tax Basics
* Pub 123 – California Businesses: How to Identify California Use Tax Due
* FTB 988 – California Use Tax and Your Filing Requirements
FTB 3730 – Online Buying or Selling—Know Your Tax Obligation
That is quite interesting. I would call that unenforceable though. If they want to tax online purchases they are going to need to set it up the same way that it is done in retail stores. I have no issue with states being able to tax the purchase of an item based on the destination. This is something that must be done at the federal level though. Any state that tries to tax online purchases will end up the same as this, with a loss not a gain. This is clearly a federal matter as well as there is no better example of interstate commerce than the selling of products across state lines.

they are not skirting anything....read, please.
I did read and you are being dense on purpose if you do not think they are skirting CA taxes. I do not blame Amazon for the move. It is not only their right to do so but their obligation to the shareholders to maximize profits AND to their customers to minimize price. However, I would contend that this is another example of idiotic tax rules that are overcomplicated.

Forum List

Back