California is gonna

Smoking is bad, most people that smoke are adults. Putting another industry that employes people out of business is a good thing?? Yea, that makes perfect sense.

Sorry, but putting the tobacco companies out of business isn't a bad thing. It would be worth it in health care costs alone. Smokers cost the country $96 billion a year in direct health care costs, and an additional $97 billion a year in lost productivity. (according to the CDC)

How much do fat people cost? How about alcoholics? Do you draw the line at the behavior you personally find distasteful or do you believe that the government should have the right, through use of penalties (taxes) to engineer the behavior of citizens?

Depends, if there is cost to society, then society has an obligation to protect it's health and wealth.

As unattractive as smoking is, smokers are also fatter than their non-smoking counterparts.

Smoking: State-By-State Ranking

Here are the state-by-state smoking rates -- that is, the percentage of adults who currently smoke every day or some days. Note that the CDC does not rank states; rank order was determined by WebMD on the basis of the CDC data for each state's total smoking rate.

State/Territory
Rank
Men
Women
Total
Kentucky
West Virginia
Oklahoma
Missouri
Read the entire list using the link-Meister

Instead of boring you like the Huffington Post with a long preamble about health risks and life expectancy, we're going to give you the list of the ten most obese states without comment, hoping you will develop prejudices and cutting asides on your own:
1. Mississippi
2. Louisiana
3. Tennessee
4. Kentucky
5. Oklahoma
6. West Virginia
7. Alabama
8. Arkansas
9. Missouri
10. TIE: Michigan and South Dakota

tax cigarettes another $1.00 per pack.. supposedly to get smokers to stop smoking..:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: and then they want ya to amoke some pot. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol: California is nutzoid.

it has to be voted on Willow.....and the people i have talked to Smoker or not....are tired of these guys trying to tax everything you do.....and when the tax gets voted down they try another way....."fees".........California for the past 15 years or so have had a Legislature with people with a mindset like Dean,Chris,Franco and "TruthMatters" running the show up in Sacramento....does that explain why this State has gone down the shitter so fast?...

Now Harry,, the last time they allowed you to vote in California the Ninth circuit overturned yer vote.. think about that.
i dont think this will be fought if it gets voted down.....i hear 3-4 of the Justices smoke....

well the cigarette thing is just horsehockey anyway...you know what cali started doing with that money that was given to them via the tobacco settlement payouts? They didn't spend it where it belonged on education vis a vis smoking etc. it was gobbled up in the general fund.

California.

California’s allocation of MSA funds has been largely controlled by the governor’s priorities, which were influenced by the state’s massive budget deficit. The legislature has had little influence on this issue, and health interest groups at the state level have been reactive rather than proactive. Gov. Gray Davis (D) dominated California’s initial allocation process for MSA funds; only after placing FY 2000 and FY 2001 MSA payments in the general fund did Davis designate $20 million from the MSA for California’s tobacco control program in FY 2002.8 He cut tobacco control funding while securitizing MSA funds for budget deficit reduction in FY 2003.9

States

They raise taxes on a product to fund XYZ.
People stop buying said product.
XYZ doesn't get funded.

So they raise taxes on something else.

:cuckoo:

Are you saying CA Dems have a ⅔ majority in both the state Assembly and the state Senate?

Pretty dang close. Which has absolutely nothing to do with voting for higher taxes.
California Democratic Party - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And I am sick of revenue issues being blamed on Prop 13.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_13_(1978)

Cali needs to learn to spend within its means.

LOL - "pretty dang close" [to a ⅔ majority].
You do understand it takes a ⅔ majority in both houses to raise taxes in CA don't you? Pretty dang close counts in hand grenades and horseshoes but-----but doesn't improve revenues one iota in the State of CA.

You can choose to be sick of Prop 13 being blamed for revenue issues in CA, but I see you also chose not to post any evidence to refute Prop 13's role in CA's slide into revenue shortfalls -- why not?

because its not the only reason.....its one of many....the biggest being that the Asswipes who run the State love to spend more than what is available....and also many programs that are out of control......

Well, the tax has to be voted on.

My mailbox has been full of lit from Philip Morris, telling me to vote against the tax.

I too am deluged with flyers etc., phone calls etc.

look, the temporary tax enacted 4 years ago ran out last year, brown wants to keep that or that is resurrect it, a sales tax increase for five years and the higher income taxes for seven.

Now we just did 3 years, fees for DMV like car registrations etc.....now I don't know about anyone else, but 8 and 10 year are not temporary in any language, its dishonest.
California gov. spending went UP over the last 3 years since the downturn started, I am not in any mood to pay more.

On California's November ballot, he wants a bump on incomes of $250,000 that would raise the top rate to 13.3% from 10.3%, now since you are out here now, and like any reasonable person, one realizes that 250k per family does not put you in the 1% out here. AND 'saoking' the rich doesn't work, take a look at Marylands taxes on same and a third of those rich were vaporized in the space of 2 years, there by never realizing the funds the gov. thought they would get there by again just blowing another whole in their budget.

We ( not me) stupidly approved the high speed rail initiative committing us to $9 billion in bonds, under the pretense that the train would cost only $33 billion, its now at $68 Bn and claiming and, the completion time is now measured in decades, plural. His obstinacy in going forward with this boondoggle is hard to square with his demand for more and more and more fees, taxes etc.

And add to that I have zero confidence in Browns and Sacramento’s ability to prioritize, coordinate and realize a sane budget, I mean look here, the Cali. Controller reported 2 weeks ago that April tax collections were a 20.2%, or $2.44 billion, below 2012-13 budget projections. TWENTY %...seriously? wtf are they smoking ?

its funny how those "temporary" taxes are never temporary....once they get their hands on something.....you wont get it back....

But smoking pot is fun!!!!

California born and raised, proud of it. Cali gettin stuff done.

At what cost? Higher state income tax, higher sales tax, higher property taxes, more fees, and more spending.
Yes, Cali is getting it done...I guess you can feel proud about that. :cuckoo:
if that was her in her Avi she looks like she is like 18 years old.....if that is so.....boy is she going to be in for a rude awakening....

But smoking pot is fun!!!!

California born and raised, proud of it. Cali gettin stuff done.

At what cost? Higher state income tax, higher sales tax, higher property taxes, more fees, and more spending.
Yes, Cali is getting it done...I guess you can feel proud about that. :cuckoo:

Hey man, don't knock it. We're gonna have a bullet train and stuff. And now, maybe (hope, hope, hope) LA's going to be one of the largest cities to ban plastic bags at grocery stores. So, roll that up and take a toke.

:dance:

The only thing wrong with California is that it's full of Californians.

Actually its more full of illegals than anything else.

And they love it, they welcome them, they coddle them, make allowances for them, even though the illegals are bleeding the state into ruin.

Figure that one out... :eusa_eh:

they?.....who is they?.....not everyone in this State is part of "they".....there is a reason Drivers licenses for Illegals got shot down.... there is a reason Antonio Villaraigosa is not a popular guy even among his own people....

That's our future, America!!

:clap:

too stoned to fucking care that they're being raped

If we're paying them to do it--is it rape?
:confused:

Reverse-prostitution, then????
:eusa_eh:

I don't know. Imagine some dude walks into your house and kicks you in the nuts. Then, the following week you get a bill from the state for "Services Rendered." What would you call that?

California Home Page

Happy times folks, happy times.

And they love it, they welcome them, they coddle them, make allowances for them, even though the illegals are bleeding the state into ruin.

They are under the impression the illegals are interested in becoming Americans and contributing to this country
but most of them are not, most illegals nowadays come here to earn US Cash to send back home to Mexico or whatever Latin American country they are from, billions of dollars of US Cash goes over the border every year, they live here in squalid conditions, refuse to learn English or assimilate into American culture, they want the cash and thats all. Technically their not really immigrants.

not all of us HG.....maybe people like TM's and Dean......but most of us know better....

they?.....who is they?.....not everyone in this State is part of "they".....there is a reason Drivers licenses for Illegals got shot down.... there is a reason Antonio Villaraigosa is not a popular guy even among his own people....

Wait a minute, "not a popular guy"? He's a scumbag.

Just sayin...

Pretty dang close. Which has absolutely nothing to do with voting for higher taxes.
California Democratic Party - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And I am sick of revenue issues being blamed on Prop 13.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_13_(1978)

Cali needs to learn to spend within its means.

LOL - "pretty dang close" [to a ⅔ majority].
You do understand it takes a ⅔ majority in both houses to raise taxes in CA don't you? Pretty dang close counts in hand grenades and horseshoes but-----but doesn't improve revenues one iota in the State of CA.

duh...me no understand anything. :cuckoo: Don't confuse the voter's initiative with legislating.

You can choose to be sick of Prop 13 being blamed for revenue issues in CA, but I see you also chose not to post any evidence to refute Prop 13's role in CA's slide into revenue shortfalls -- why not?
Again, it was a voter initiative. Read the link I provided. If Prop 13 had not been enacted people would have been taxed out of their homes. Bureaucrats are too quick to blame Prop 13 for lack of revenue, rather than spending within their means.
defiantly the retired and lower income owners....

Sorry, but putting the tobacco companies out of business isn't a bad thing. It would be worth it in health care costs alone. Smokers cost the country $96 billion a year in direct health care costs, and an additional $97 billion a year in lost productivity. (according to the CDC)

How much do fat people cost? How about alcoholics? Do you draw the line at the behavior you personally find distasteful or do you believe that the government should have the right, through use of penalties (taxes) to engineer the behavior of citizens?

Depends, if there is cost to society, then society has an obligation to protect it's health and wealth.

As unattractive as smoking is, smokers are also fatter than their non-smoking counterparts.

Smoking: State-By-State Ranking

Here are the state-by-state smoking rates -- that is, the percentage of adults who currently smoke every day or some days. Note that the CDC does not rank states; rank order was determined by WebMD on the basis of the CDC data for each state's total smoking rate.

State/Territory
Rank
Men
Women
Total
Kentucky
West Virginia
Oklahoma
Missouri
Read the entire list using the link-Meister

Instead of boring you like the Huffington Post with a long preamble about health risks and life expectancy, we're going to give you the list of the ten most obese states without comment, hoping you will develop prejudices and cutting asides on your own:
1. Mississippi
2. Louisiana
3. Tennessee
4. Kentucky
5. Oklahoma
6. West Virginia
7. Alabama
8. Arkansas
9. Missouri
10. TIE: Michigan and South Dakota

i dont see too many overweight people smoking compared to slimmer ones.....you will have to prove that.....

Forum List

Back