California is gonna

And they love it, they welcome them, they coddle them, make allowances for them, even though the illegals are bleeding the state into ruin.

Figure that one out... :eusa_eh:

they?.....who is they?.....not everyone in this State is part of "they".....there is a reason Drivers licenses for Illegals got shot down.... there is a reason Antonio Villaraigosa is not a popular guy even among his own people....

Wait a minute, "not a popular guy"? He's a scumbag.

Just sayin...
he might as well be the the Mayor of Mexico City.....you would never know he is an American Mayor.....

Anyone who says it is not right to legislate morality, needs to look at their own state first. Each and EVERY state has a cigarette tax. This is not just a liberal thing, conservatives do it too. Also each and every state has a liquor tax as well.
California ranks 33rd in cigarette tax at $0.87 a pack. You don't have to go any further then Arizona to find a state that has a $2 a pack tax.
Here in Texas, we are over $1.60 a pack. Oh but no one made a peep when Texas raised taxes on cigarettes a few years ago.

Anyone who says it is not right to legislate morality, needs to look at their own state first. Each and EVERY state has a cigarette tax. This is not just a liberal thing, conservatives do it too. Also each and every state has a liquor tax as well.
California ranks 33rd in cigarette tax at $0.87 a pack. You don't have to go any further then Arizona to find a state that has a $2 a pack tax.
Here in Texas, we are over $1.60 a pack. Oh but no one made a peep when Texas raised taxes on cigarettes a few years ago.

I think the issue is with all the other tax and fee hikes going on along with the hike in cig. tax. It's a crazy state...the governor (moonbeam) wants the high speed rail to progress even though there is no funding for it.

who said it was a Liberal thing?......im saying that if the legislators in my State had a way to do it.....they would tax you 50 cents for each shit you drop in the Bowl....

How much do fat people cost? How about alcoholics? Do you draw the line at the behavior you personally find distasteful or do you believe that the government should have the right, through use of penalties (taxes) to engineer the behavior of citizens?

Depends, if there is cost to society, then society has an obligation to protect it's health and wealth.

As unattractive as smoking is, smokers are also fatter than their non-smoking counterparts.

Smoking: State-By-State Ranking

Here are the state-by-state smoking rates -- that is, the percentage of adults who currently smoke every day or some days. Note that the CDC does not rank states; rank order was determined by WebMD on the basis of the CDC data for each state's total smoking rate.

State/Territory
Rank
Men
Women
Total
Kentucky
West Virginia
Oklahoma
Missouri
Read the entire list using the link-Meister

Instead of boring you like the Huffington Post with a long preamble about health risks and life expectancy, we're going to give you the list of the ten most obese states without comment, hoping you will develop prejudices and cutting asides on your own:
1. Mississippi
2. Louisiana
3. Tennessee
4. Kentucky
5. Oklahoma
6. West Virginia
7. Alabama
8. Arkansas
9. Missouri
10. TIE: Michigan and South Dakota
As unattractive as smoking is, smokers are also fatter than their non-smoking counterparts.

i dont see too many overweight people smoking compared to slimmer ones.....you will have to prove that.....

Your personal observation is just that, a personal observation -- kinda like Reagan's "I knew a guy" stories, almost meaningless when compared to national statistics.

Compare the lists below ----- see what I'm saying, smoking and obesity are linked-----linked by their Red State roots.

States With Highest Percentage of Smokers
1. Kentucky
2. West Virginia
3. Oklahoma
4. Missouri
5. Tennessee
6. Indiana
7. Mississippi
8. Ohio
9. North Carolina
10. Louisiana
11. Alabama
12. Arkansas

States With the Highest Percentage of Fattys
1. Mississippi
2. Louisiana
3. Tennessee
4. Kentucky
5. Oklahoma
6. West Virginia
7. Alabama
8. Arkansas
9. Missouri

Pretty dang close. Which has absolutely nothing to do with voting for higher taxes.
California Democratic Party - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And I am sick of revenue issues being blamed on Prop 13.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Proposition_13_(1978)

Cali needs to learn to spend within its means.

LOL - "pretty dang close" [to a ⅔ majority].
You do understand it takes a ⅔ majority in both houses to raise taxes in CA don't you? Pretty dang close counts in hand grenades and horseshoes but-----but doesn't improve revenues one iota in the State of CA.

You can choose to be sick of Prop 13 being blamed for revenue issues in CA, but I see you also chose not to post any evidence to refute Prop 13's role in CA's slide into revenue shortfalls -- why not?

because its not the only reason.....its one of many....the biggest being that the Asswipes who run the State love to spend more than what is available....and also many programs that are out of control......

I've shown that the CA purse strings are controlled by the Republican minority via the Assembly and the
Senate -- so exactly, which Republican asswipes are you referring to?

LOL - "pretty dang close" [to a ⅔ majority].
You do understand it takes a ⅔ majority in both houses to raise taxes in CA don't you? Pretty dang close counts in hand grenades and horseshoes but-----but doesn't improve revenues one iota in the State of CA.

You can choose to be sick of Prop 13 being blamed for revenue issues in CA, but I see you also chose not to post any evidence to refute Prop 13's role in CA's slide into revenue shortfalls -- why not?

because its not the only reason.....its one of many....the biggest being that the Asswipes who run the State love to spend more than what is available....and also many programs that are out of control......

I've shown that the CA purse strings are controlled by the Republican minority via the Assembly and the

Yes, the republicans own California... :lol:

hey if the guy doesnt live here.....he doesnt know what he is talking about....if he does live here....he is just another Pelosi drone.....you have seen them.....i have seen them.....to this Dean like Dildo its ALL the Republicans fault....

Sorry, but putting the tobacco companies out of business isn't a bad thing. It would be worth it in health care costs alone. Smokers cost the country $96 billion a year in direct health care costs, and an additional $97 billion a year in lost productivity. (according to the CDC)

How much do fat people cost? How about alcoholics? Do you draw the line at the behavior you personally find distasteful or do you believe that the government should have the right, through use of penalties (taxes) to engineer the behavior of citizens?

Depends, if there is cost to society, then society has an obligation to protect it's health and wealth.

So where do you draw the line? If you feel that government should be able to regulate behavior by taxes, you must have given thought to what would constitute a government over reach.

Here are the state-by-state smoking rates -- that is, the percentage of adults who currently smoke every day or some days. Note that the CDC does not rank states; rank order was determined by WebMD on the basis of the CDC data for each state's total smoking rate.

State/Territory
Rank
Men
Women
Total
Kentucky
West Virginia
Oklahoma
Missouri

Instead of boring you like the Huffington Post with a long preamble about health risks and life expectancy, we're going to give you the list of the ten most obese states without comment, hoping you will develop prejudices and cutting asides on your own:
1. Mississippi
2. Louisiana
3. Tennessee
4. Kentucky
5. Oklahoma
6. West Virginia
7. Alabama
8. Arkansas
9. Missouri

i dont see too many overweight people smoking compared to slimmer ones.....you will have to prove that.....

Your personal observation is just that, a personal observation -- kinda like Reagan's "I knew a guy" stories, almost meaningless when compared to national statistics.

Compare the lists below ----- see what I'm saying, smoking and obesity are linked-----linked by their Red State roots.

States With Highest Percentage of Smokers
1. Kentucky
2. West Virginia
3. Oklahoma
4. Missouri
5. Tennessee
6. Indiana
7. Mississippi
8. Ohio
9. North Carolina
10. Louisiana
11. Alabama
12. Arkansas

States With the Highest Percentage of Fattys
1. Mississippi
2. Louisiana
3. Tennessee
4. Kentucky
5. Oklahoma
6. West Virginia
7. Alabama
8. Arkansas
9. Missouri
and where does it say in your little chart that fat people are the biggest smokers you dumb fuck.....or is this just your observation?......

Don't be ridiculous Republicans don't own CA, where'd you ever come up with that? Do you have proof?

But FYI, the Republican's do control both of the two legislative bodies via minority rule-----IOW's taxes don't get raised in CA without Republican support. Do you disagree with that sentence?

Parents are responsible for teaching their children.
Nanny state laws/taxes have proved to be ineffective.

Totally untrue....every time ciggies go up down here, the number of people who smoke decreases...
Fuck it, up the tax by $6...not $1...

:eusa_hand:
Untrue? Perhaps down under...Cali is not down under.:eusa_angel:
Most of the problem is that 'tax' revenue doesn't arrive at it's promoted destination.
Remember the lottery in Cali that was supposed to 'save education/schools/children'?
It went to unfunded pension liabilities...ie 'saving education'.

Well, that'sa different issue, and one on which I agree...if you tax ciggies, then that tax should go straight back into anti-smoking education or the health system...down ehre a lot of it goes into what they call the "consolidated fund" , which is a concise way of saying, "we'll spend it on what we see fit to spend it on"...total BS

State/Territory
Rank
Men
Women
Total
Kentucky
West Virginia
Oklahoma
Missouri

Wonderful!
Stats from 2009...