Buster Douglas Mike Tyson 30 for 30 tomorrow night

Ali fights were boring to watch
He danced, tied up the other fighter then threw flurries at the end of the round
But he was wicked smart and took away your advantage

No other fighter beat champions like Liston, Frazier and Forman

What makes for an exciting fight is purely subjective. The point me and Canadian are trying to make was Tyson was a machine. Ali considering all his greatness was a near mortal. The athletes I put in the same category as Tyson were Bo Jackson, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders and Michael Jordan. And that’s it!
Tyson was flawed. A one trick pony
Ferocious slugger who could take you out in one punch. But no tactician

Ali could take you out of your game. He would figure out how to neutralize you

He beat HW champs Liston, Frazier and Foreman......All time great sluggers

Want to see a slugger Ali beat?
Look up Ernie Shavers
A ferocious knockout punch
Ali took him out

Yes, he was a slugger like no other. You give him no credit for his head movement? His rapid advancement on his opponents, his ability to avoid jabs and responding with bone crushing hooks and lightning speed upper cuts? He was compact, focused and accurate.

That would be a major error. Just look at how many people he K.O'ed in the first round. Everyone wanted to be a tactician against him, recall the Spinks match. 91 Seconds for what was billed the Fight of the Century.

He had no equal in his prime. The fight against Douglas wasn't even Tyson he still came within one second (and some say a long count) from winning. He was just on another planet. As boxing goes, he was the brawler you couldn't avoid.
I loved to watch Tyson. A knockout machine that dominated a six year period but no prestige wins

I hated Ali and what he stood for. But damn, he dominated for twenty years.
I thought he would lose to Liston, Frazier, Norton, Forman.......but he figured out how to win

Tyson was short and a bull. Ali would have danced and tied him up. Frustrate him, mock him, jab him at will

Ali would have got him in later rounds

Well that would have been Alis plan anyways, I don't think he pulls it off.

I don't even put Ali ahead of Frazier or Louis. I think he lost to Frazier in what is unquestionably a curious fight. Notice, these suspicious fights always seem to happen overseas? Japan and Philippines?

If you look at many of Alis wins, you say "wow, look at that punch, the guy flew". You would say that for two or three career punches he's thrown, I've seen Tyson do that a dozen times, before he was even 24 years old.

In my opinion, people like Tyson shouldn't be walking the streets. He was picked up by Cus when he punched out a kid at his Foster Home. That was honestly how he was found. An angry fat little kid. Tyson said left alone he might have murdered and certainly would have been murdered eventually, or at best, living in some run down apartment somewhere. He was naturally angry and his was trained and "programmed" to just hurt. With his physical attributes, nobody would even last three rounds in their prime against him.

It is what it is. There's no doubt with or without D'Amato he would have eventually snapped and become the crazy guy he became, as instinctively that's what he was. His performances in the ring were just demons he was able to unleash in a legal manner.
In the big picture
Who did Tyson beat?

Tyson lost to Holyfield who was a light heavyweight and Ali style fighter

Last edited:
I think Ali fighting Tyson would have been like Rocky fighting Clubber Lange in the second fight

Protect the head, take body shots, wear him down, mock him, make him mad

Then take him out in the later rounds

What makes for an exciting fight is purely subjective. The point me and Canadian are trying to make was Tyson was a machine. Ali considering all his greatness was a near mortal. The athletes I put in the same category as Tyson were Bo Jackson, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders and Michael Jordan. And that’s it!

Look up Ernie Shavers
Ali took him out

Yes, he was a slugger like no other. You give him no credit for his head movement? His rapid advancement on his opponents, his ability to avoid jabs and responding with bone crushing hooks and lightning speed upper cuts? He was compact, focused and accurate.

That would be a major error. Just look at how many people he K.O'ed in the first round. Everyone wanted to be a tactician against him, recall the Spinks match. 91 Seconds for what was billed the Fight of the Century.

He had no equal in his prime. The fight against Douglas wasn't even Tyson he still came within one second (and some say a long count) from winning. He was just on another planet. As boxing goes, he was the brawler you couldn't avoid.
I loved to watch Tyson. A knockout machine that dominated a six year period but no prestige wins

I thought he would lose to Liston, Frazier, Norton, Forman.......but he figured out how to win

Tyson was short and a bull. Ali would have danced and tied him up. Frustrate him, mock him, jab him at will

I don't even put Ali ahead of Frazier or Louis. I think he lost to Frazier in what is unquestionably a curious fight. Notice, these suspicious fights always seem to happen overseas? Japan and Philippines?

If you look at many of Alis wins, you say "wow, look at that punch, the guy flew". You would say that for two or three career punches he's thrown, I've seen Tyson do that a dozen times, before he was even 24 years old.

In my opinion, people like Tyson shouldn't be walking the streets. He was picked up by Cus when he punched out a kid at his Foster Home. That was honestly how he was found. An angry fat little kid. Tyson said left alone he might have murdered and certainly would have been murdered eventually, or at best, living in some run down apartment somewhere. He was naturally angry and his was trained and "programmed" to just hurt. With his physical attributes, nobody would even last three rounds in their prime against him.

It is what it is. There's no doubt with or without D'Amato he would have eventually snapped and become the crazy guy he became, as instinctively that's what he was. His performances in the ring were just demons he was able to unleash in a legal manner.
In the big picture
Who did Tyson beat?

Tyson lost to Holifield who was a light heavyweight and Ali style fighter

How about a little context? Tyson went to jail and got viciously knockout by Douglas. He was never the same

Look up Ernie Shavers
Ali took him out

In the big picture
Who did Tyson beat?

That's the point, he was so far ahead of everyone else it was just a foregone conclusion. He beat many opponents who were undefeated, some who were going to be the "Next One".

Some of the memorable names, Berbick, Tucker, Biggs, Tubbs, Spinks, Bruno, Ruddock (who many feared as much as Tyson). Guys like Lewis ducked him for many years until Tyson was well past his prime and an easy target. Holyfield fought him in 1996. A full decade after Mike had been boxing and of course, after his stint in prison. Like Ali, when he left there he never reclaimed his old abilities and hunger.

Last edited:

Look up Ernie Shavers
Ali took him out

In the big picture
Who did Tyson beat?

How about a little context? Tyson went to jail and got viciously knockout by Douglas. He was never the same

Ali fought on a world class scale for twenty years

Tyson kept his act together for five

I loved to watch Tyson but he didn’t beat anyone of note

Look up Ernie Shavers
Ali took him out

In the big picture
Who did Tyson beat?

That's the point, he was so far ahead of everyone else it was just a foregone conclusion. He beat many opponents who were undefeated, some who were going to be the "Next One".

Some of the memorable names, Berbick, Tucker, Biggs, Tubbs, Spinks, Bruno, Ruddock (who many feared as much as Tyson). Guys like Lewis ducked him for many years until Tyson was well past his prime and an easy target. Holyfield fought him in 1996. A full decade after Mike had been boxing.
Thanks for the list

Not an impressive name in the list. He fought who was put in front of him but no great fighters

Ernie Holmes had a more impressive resume

Tyson knocked a lot of non-glass jawed, seriously able to fight people.

I think one had an Olympics gold medal..knocked out.

He had one helluva run. I was shocked with that Buster Douglas stuff.

As for Ali.. I don't think so.

Holyfield beat Douglas, and Foreman beat Holyfield.

Ali beat Foreman.

Ol' big boy Foreman, he give you the cross-block.

Last edited:

In the big picture
Who did Tyson beat?

The question is was who was more unstoppable in their respective primes? But I get it, you’re nostalgic about Ali

In the big picture
Who did Tyson beat?

The question is was who was more unstoppable in their respective primes? But I get it, you’re nostalgic about Ali
Watched him over 20 years

Every time I counted him out, he proved me wrong

I have no problem with era fighters being considered the best ever. Jack Johnson fans are all dead now but the old boys who saw him said he was the best ever. Jack Dempsey, Joe Louis, same deal, all the best ever and maybe they were. Rocky Marciano beat everybody they put in front of him at 185 lbs. Ali weighed from 215-225. Liston was truly feared even by Clay, but Clay convinced Liston that he was crazy, which he probably was. Fans thought the second Liston knockout was a phantom punch but it wasn't.... the cameras were blocked. Ali had a real short right hand that was a corkscrew Karate punch...hip snap with a straight back leg..on and off so fast most he hit with it didn't know where it came from.....That's the punch that knocked out Liston in the second fight. Tyson fans are convinced he was the best ever....good for them. In their era he was the best, outside of Lennox Lewis who knocked Tyson out and Holyfield who whipped Tyson twice. Lewis put 60 stitches worth of cuts on Klitschko's face. George Foreman claimed Lennox was the best he'd ever seen.

Ali was a much more skilled a fighter than Tyson. He had a system he called "slap-tap-BAM"....First round or two he snapped off jabs at angles he cut faces and swelled eyelids with. Then from the 3rd round on, came the "tap" where he hit just hard enough to keep the other man honest to prevent the bull-rush from a fighter convinced Ali didn't hit hard enough to hurt them. And then in the later rounds when the other fighter figured he had to take some chances from being behind on points (and they all were), Ali waited for an opening and BAM....WTF? they had no idea how hard he could hit when he wanted to. Check out the look on Foreman's face when he was on the canvas in Zaire....total disbelief.

Last edited:
I have no problem with era fighters being considered the best ever. Jack Johnson fans are all dead now but the old boys who saw him said he was the best ever. Jack Dempsey, Joe Louis, same deal, all the best ever and maybe they were. Rocky Marciano beat everybody they put in front of him at 185 lbs. Ali weighed from 215-225. Liston was truly feared even by Clay, but Clay convinced Liston that he was crazy, which he probably was. Fans thought the second Liston knockout was a phantom punch but it wasn't.... the cameras were blocked. Ali had a real short right hand that was a corkscrew Karate punch...hip snap with a straight back leg..on and off so fast most he hit with it didn't know where it came from.....That's the punch that knocked out Liston in the second fight. Tyson fans are convinced he was the best ever....good for them. In their era he was the best, outside of Lennox Lewis who knocked Tyson out and Holyfield who whipped Tyson twice. Lewis put 60 stitches worth of cuts on Klitschko's face. George Foreman claimed Lennox was the best he'd ever seen.

Ali was a much more skilled a fighter than Tyson. He had a system he called "slap-tap-BAM"....First round or two he snapped off jabs at angles he cut faces and swelled eyelids with. Then from the 3rd round on, came the "tap" where he hit just hard enough to keep the other man honest to prevent the bull-rush from a fighter convinced Ali didn't hit hard enough to hurt them. And then in the later rounds when the other fighter figured he had to take some chances from being behind on points (and they all were), Ali waited for an opening and BAM....WTF? they had no idea how hard he could hit when he wanted to. Check out the look on Foreman's face when he was on the canvas in Zaire....total disbelief.
Larry Holmes was another fighter who was under appreciated

I’m not by any means saying Tyson was the best ever. I’m saying he had the best prime out of any fighter

And yes Tyson in his prime would have putting a whooping on Ali in his prime

I’ve seen a few Ali fights on video to know he wasn’t nearly as close to the physical specimen Holyfield was nonetheless Tyson. A prime Tyson knocks Ali out in the first round.

you sure have your head up tysons butt and love to tell fairy tales as always.other way around,only an idiot would think otherwise that mr glass jaw could do that.
:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301:

the question is was who was more unstoppable in their respective primes?

as he has taken you to school on and you keep ignoring,its a no brainer Ali was.:cuckoo::itsok::itsok:

Last edited:
And yes Tyson in his prime would have putting a whooping on Ali in his prime

Nope....Ali would have cut Tyson to pieces with his jabs....you're forgetting how fast Ali was and what a punch he could take. Tyson only dreamed of hitting as hard as Sonny Liston or George Foreman and Ali took everything they, rope-a-doped em and knocked em both out. Nobody in boxing history stood a chance against Ali in his prime
:beer::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::thankusmile::TH_WAY~113::udaman::WooHooSmileyWave-vi::yes_text12:

as i said earlier,Tyson would never have been able to beat the likes of the opponents Ali fought.He never would have been able to stand toe to toe with George Frazier and so many of the other greats Ali faught in their PRIME.:cuckoo::laughing0301::lmao: they keep dodging that ali could take the punches from the best of them and not goi go down.:lmao::laughing0301:

Tyson knocked a lot of non-glass jawed, seriously able to fight people.

I think one had an Olympics gold medal..knocked out.

He had one helluva run. I was shocked with that Buster Douglas stuff.

As for Ali.. I don't think so.

Holyfield beat Douglas, and Foreman beat Holyfield.

Ali beat Foreman.

Ol' big boy Foreman, he give you the cross-block.

The Tyson worshippers play dodgeball with that fact that the opponents tyson faced so many of them had glass jaws same as him,he could just punch harder them them,they were not intelligent enough like Ali to not let tyson bait them.:abgg2q.jpg:They were not the great fighters that Ali had to face in his prime and Ali could take punches from the best of them. Tyson never would have been able to KO those guys Ali fought OR taken the punishment from them Ali took with that glass jaw he had. Tysons glass jaw would have made him an easy knockout in early rounds against the strong brutes Ali had to face in the early 70's Frazier and Foreman for example.,you put him in the ring with those strong monsters Ali went late rounds to beat,glass jaw Tyson gets knocked out VERY early.:abgg2q.jpg::haha::haha::haha::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301:

This would be Tyson as well had he been able to get into a time machine and go back in the early 70's and faught these big ass hard puncher monsters Joe Frazier,George Foreman and so many of the greats Ali beat and KO'd. those big ass brutes did not have the glass jaw tyson had and the so many opponents Tyson KO'd. Tyson would have had SEVERAL early good night Mikes like this one below.:abgg2q.jpg::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:

Buster-Douglas-Knocks-Out-Mike-Tyson.jpg

Last edited:
All the K.O's by Tyson.

Remember, we compare them both in their prime. There is simply no way Ali is going to be able to tie up, the much shorter, more compact and powerful Tyson. You were safe and warm one second, the next, he snaps you with a punch and you're on the mat. It was unlike anything boxing has ever seen. They were quick, vicious fights.

There is nothing civilized about Tysons fighting. You would have to believe that Ali is going to effectively use his jab to avoid any body shots and uppercuts to his head, try to extend the fight past 4 rounds and then win. I just don't see it.

I don't even watch MMA today, I don't like fights in hockey. For the purposes of science, when it comes to boxing, Tyson would beat any other past heavyweight in their primes. He just hit too damn hard and at a lightning quick pace with no regard for his own safety. He also hit hard with both hands...just too difficult to prevent.

denial mode as always.

:no_text11::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301::laughing0301:

you,rocko and wrongwinger-:dig::blahblah::blahblah::blahblah::blahblah::blahblah::blahblah::itsok::itsok:

Last edited:
Ali would have easily figured out Tyson

Just like he did with every other slugger

Ali had an uncanny ability to slip punches. The first time anyone connected with him was in the first Frazier fight.

OTOH, Tyson had an ability to put punchers on their heels and just fuck them up. So it's impossible to say how those two would have come out, both in their prime.

Larry Holmes was the best "boxer" in the heavyweight division. Despite having a record number of consecutive "knockouts," he never knocked anyone out (for the count). Tap, tap, tap, jab, jab, jab, jab. Nothing else. All arm punches with no power. He would just jab the hell out of his opponents until they were so tired and bloody they couldn't continue. That's OK if you are a flyweight, but as heavyweight champion? Pretty pathetic. Which is why he never got no respect...and it drove him crazy.

Forum List

Back