Biggest Blowout in Orange Bowl History

eagle1462010

Diamond Member
May 17, 2013

Biggest blowout in Orange Bowl history​

Georgia's 63-3 advantage over Florida State is not only the biggest blowout in Orange Bowl history, but also bowl game history. Prior to 2023, the biggest blowout in Orange Bowl history was 55 points, when Alabama beat Syracuse 61-6 in the 1953 version of the game.

Georgia's 63-3 advantage over Florida State is not only the biggest blowout in Orange Bowl history, but also bowl game history. Prior to 2023, the biggest blowout in Orange Bowl history was 55 points, when Alabama beat Syracuse 61-6 in the 1953 version of the game.
i'll commiserate with fla st on this one. we are demanding a recount of the score in that lame music city bowl.

war eagle. sigh.

It signifies how little the game means to the players. The team goes unbeaten during the regular season. Then they are shafted by the bowl selection honchos and put into this game as a consolation prize. They could have cared less.

Georgia likely would have still prevailed (SEC football is king for a reason) but if this were the last game of the season instead of this money grab err I mean bowl game and FSU had something to play for...the score would have been closer.

While I disagreed with the decision they were correct that FSU was not in the top 4 talent in this Nation. Had all their top players been there Georgia still would gave whooped them.

Even as a Alabama fan we barely won against them. Talent wise Georgia is the beat team in the country.

sorry, wrong thread.

To those excusing FSU because of the player who opted out, Georgia was manhandled FSU in the second half with their 3rd and 4th string players. FSU, if they had gotten in, would have been embarrassed on a bigger stage.

Couchpotato Looks like your CFP-bound super seminoles didn’t belong. Even if they had Jordan Travis, we’re talking 20+ pt win.

FSU not in the same class.

All it took was the losing team to lose half the roster.

While I disagreed with the decision they were correct that FSU was not in the top 4 talent in this Nation. Had all their top players been there Georgia still would gave whooped them.

Even as a Alabama fan we barely won against them. Talent wise Georgia is the beat team in the country.
It’s not easy to pick the top 4. SEC is not overwhelming top conference anymore. AUB destroyed by Maryland.

other teams of interest:
ND may be close to the top teams, but overlooked. They destroy teams using Defense.

WASH beat ORE twice. ORE actually had good PAC12 defense. WASH can score on any team I would suspect? TX defense is not great?

Couchpotato Looks like your CFP-bound super seminoles didn’t belong. Even if they had Jordan Travis, we’re talking 20+ pt win.

FSU not in the same class.
It was never about that. I never made the argument that FSU was better than any team (which includes UGA Alabama, Texas or UTSA). What I did say was that the "they arent in because of their SOS" was bull shit because had they had their starting QB they would have been in and their SOS didnt get weaker when he got injured did it? FSU didnt make the CFP because of ratings. That's it. Period. Full Stop. FSU was playing their freshman 3rd string QB correct?

By this logic Michigan hasn't deserved its spot in the CFP the last 2 years. They were beat twice and the team that beat them was blown out in the champ game.

List of FSU players who opted to sit out.

• QB
    • Tate Rodemaker
    • AJ Duffy
  • RB
    • Trey Benson*
    • Rodney Hill
    • CJ Campbell
  • WR
    • Keon Coleman*
    • Johnny Wilson*
  • TE
    • Jaheim Bell*
    • Markeston Douglas
  • OL
    • Thomas Shrader
    • Bless Harris
    • Daughtry Richardson
    • Qae'shon Sapp
  • DL
    • Jared Verse*
    • Fabien Lovett*
    • Malcolm Ray
    • Dylan Brown
    • Ayobami Tifase
  • LB
    • DJ Lundy
    • Dylan Brown-Turner
  • DB
    • Renardo Green*
    • Jarrian Jones*
    • Akeem Dent*
*declaring for 2024 draft.

It was never about that. I never made the argument that FSU was better than any team (which includes UGA Alabama, Texas or UTSA). What I did say was that the "they arent in because of their SOS" was bull shit because had they had their starting QB they would have been in and their SOS didnt get weaker when he got injured did it? FSU didnt make the CFP because of ratings. That's it. Period. Full Stop. FSU was playing their freshman 3rd string QB correct?

By this logic Michigan hasn't deserved its spot in the CFP the last 2 years. They were beat twice and the team that beat them was blown out in the champ game.

• QB
    • Tate Rodemaker
    • AJ Duffy
  • RB
    • Trey Benson*
    • Rodney Hill
    • CJ Campbell
  • WR
    • Keon Coleman*
    • Johnny Wilson*
  • TE
    • Jaheim Bell*
    • Markeston Douglas
  • OL
    • Thomas Shrader
    • Bless Harris
    • Daughtry Richardson
    • Qae'shon Sapp
  • DL
    • Jared Verse*
    • Fabien Lovett*
    • Malcolm Ray
    • Dylan Brown
    • Ayobami Tifase
  • LB
    • DJ Lundy
    • Dylan Brown-Turner
  • DB
    • Renardo Green*
    • Jarrian Jones*
    • Akeem Dent*

I can see why someone projected to be a top 5 NFL Draft Pick would decide to sit out due to the possibility of injury.
But why would anyone else sit out a high profile game against a top opponent which could raise your Draft stock?

• QB
    • Tate Rodemaker
    • AJ Duffy
  • RB
    • Trey Benson*
    • Rodney Hill
    • CJ Campbell
  • WR
    • Keon Coleman*
    • Johnny Wilson*
  • TE
    • Jaheim Bell*
    • Markeston Douglas
  • OL
    • Thomas Shrader
    • Bless Harris
    • Daughtry Richardson
    • Qae'shon Sapp
  • DL
    • Jared Verse*
    • Fabien Lovett*
    • Malcolm Ray
    • Dylan Brown
    • Ayobami Tifase
  • LB
    • DJ Lundy
    • Dylan Brown-Turner
  • DB
    • Renardo Green*
    • Jarrian Jones*
    • Akeem Dent*
That's why the line was UGA -24

I can see why someone projected to be a top 5 NFL Draft Pick would decide to sit out due to the possibility of injury.
But why would anyone else sit out a high profile game against a top opponent which could raise your Draft stock?

Because playing your freshman 3rd string QB and without a ton of Defensive starters you are likely to get rolled anyway and few people look good doing that. Besides this isnt 1970, there is tape on everyone it's not like NFL coaches and GM's need to see you play in person.

I think FSU at full-strength would have matched up well against anyone. Without Travis, they probably were a top-10 team but no longer a top-4. They were a different offense, but their defense was probably the best in the country. Statistically the BIG-10 top three were better, but BIG-10 offenses are total shit and Penn St, Ohio St, and Michigan didn't play anyone outside their conference this year. The Noles at full strength were absolutely a top-4 team.

But I take nothing from last night's debacle other than the end-of-year bowl system should die. Florida State had so many opt-outs and sit-outs. Move that shit to Week 0 the following season. Teams would be playing all their starters and there would be one quality non-conference opponent right off the bat. I bet bowl viewership isn't that great anymore, but it would be a great way to kick off the new season.

Because playing your freshman 3rd string QB and without a ton of Defensive starters you are likely to get rolled anyway and few people look good doing that. Besides this isnt 1970, there is tape on everyone it's not like NFL coaches and GM's need to see you play in person.

But in terms of your NFL Draft prospects, much of your highlights are against substandard opponents

Having a big game against a top ranked opponent on a national stage will raise your Draft stock. It happens all the time

But in terms of your NFL Draft prospects, much of your highlights are against substandard opponents

Having a big game against a top ranked opponent on a national stage will raise your Draft stock. It happens all the time
For sure, but your chances of having a big game when it's just you or you and a couple other starters aren't good. You're more likely to look bad in that game than great.

They're probably either hitting the portal or the draft. I would think anyone wanting to play next season at FSU would want to play in that game.

FSU's biggest problem was exposed: they're still a little weak in terms of recruiting and relying heavily on the portal. Portal transfers are mercenaries. They didn't grow up in the state cheering for the teams they're playing for. Makes a big difference, IMO.

• QB
    • Tate Rodemaker
    • AJ Duffy
  • RB
    • Trey Benson*
    • Rodney Hill
    • CJ Campbell
  • WR
    • Keon Coleman*
    • Johnny Wilson*
  • TE
    • Jaheim Bell*
    • Markeston Douglas
  • OL
    • Thomas Shrader
    • Bless Harris
    • Daughtry Richardson
    • Qae'shon Sapp
  • DL
    • Jared Verse*
    • Fabien Lovett*
    • Malcolm Ray
    • Dylan Brown
    • Ayobami Tifase
  • LB
    • DJ Lundy
    • Dylan Brown-Turner
  • DB
    • Renardo Green*
    • Jarrian Jones*
    • Akeem Dent*
No team that “belongs” loses 63-3. If players who weren’t first round elite players were sitting, it shows a lack of dedication that would have manifested regardless

Forum List

Back