Buster Douglas Mike Tyson 30 for 30 tomorrow night

Rocko

Platinum Member
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 30, 2011
NY
This is going to be awesome. Probably the biggest upset in the history of sports. I can’t wait

I refused to watch the fight because I thought it would be another Tyson 90 sec knockout

I refused to watch the fight because I thought it would be another Tyson 90 sec knockout

I didn’t see the fight until HBO replayed it. I wish I would have seen it live

Buster's last upper-cut put Tyson on Planet Nine....can't believe it didn't kill him.

G'nite Mike.....

Buster-Douglas-Knocks-Out-Mike-Tyson.jpg

I remember waking up the night day as a kid and seeing on th front page that Tyson had been knocked out. Everybody at school was stunned, he was like an alien to all of us, I couldn't even beat him in Nintendo Mike Tysons Punchout for God Sakes. This was also after Tyson knocked out Michael Spinks, who was also undefeated, in 91 seconds.

It was so lopsided that only a couple of Vegas places would even take a bet at all. I recall reading that some guy laid $93k on Tyson to win something like $3k. What a waste of cash, even more cash in the 1990's

Was it a set up. The night before Tyson was out with a couple of geisha girls, drinking, partying and taking God knows what. He said they put something in his drink and he had no energy for the fight, he didn't even train for it if I recall correctly, figuring it would be a quick K.O and fly back home with a few more million.

If ever there was a time for the Mob to set this one up, or, even for him to take a fall, this would have been it. 40-1 or something, just insane. Who knows what kind of money could be made in bookmakers in Europe and Underground?

Or maybe he was just too arrogant and believed, like the rest of us; that he was invincible. His lustre was lost forever after that loss.

Crazy to think, he was only 23 at that time and he was 37-0! Just insane.

More notes, Douglas was in the best shape of his life, surprising even the Tyson corner. His Mother died 3 weeks prior and Douglas said he won it for her.

Last edited:
Tyson was in a real shitty place at that time in his personal life. His focus was not on the fight going into it. Buster just happened to be the lucky guy that was at the right place at the right time.

Tyson was in a real shitty place at that time in his personal life. His focus was not on the fight going into it. Buster just happened to be the lucky guy that was at the right place at the right time.

It wasn't luck....Buster was one of the few fighters who had reach and as hard a punch as Tyson. It's not like Buster didn't get hit in that fight.....a couple times I recall thinking "oh oh, here it comes" but Tyson stayed back to admire his handiwork instead of pursuing Douglas. Mike didn't go to the body like he usually did.....maybe my memory is foggy on that but I don't recall him putting that liver-buster left hook to the body on Buster....head-hunting that night and got caught.

He was certainly never the same after Cus D'Amato died, but in terms of luck, well, Douglas made his luck. He worked his ass off to be the shape he could be in and I think after his Mother died, it was one of those "I'm not going to be beat by ANY man on this day". Once he lasted the first round, and Tyson was clearly not the crazy, aggressive fighter he had been at times, his confidence had to have grown.

There is no way Tyson was prepared and maybe even motivated, if he had been, he would have destroyed Douglas who didn't have near the power that Tyson had. I don't even remember Tyson even getting inside much at all that fight, a combination of credit to Buster and an under par Tyson. With such a height disadvantage, if Tyson doesn't get inside, he's going to lose to jabs all night,

At 2 minutes of the 7th round....guess who was sitting ringside.....TRUMP! :lol:

He was certainly never the same after Cus D'Amato died, but in terms of luck, well, Douglas made his luck. He worked his ass off to be the shape he could be in and I think after his Mother died, it was one of those "I'm not going to be beat by ANY man on this day". Once he lasted the first round, and Tyson was clearly not the crazy, aggressive fighter he had been at times, his confidence had to have grown.

There is no way Tyson was prepared and maybe even motivated, if he had been, he would have destroyed Douglas who didn't have near the power that Tyson had. I don't even remember Tyson even getting inside much at all that fight, a combination of credit to Buster and an under par Tyson. With such a height disadvantage, if Tyson doesn't get inside, he's going to lose to jabs all night,
Tyson planned for a first round knockout. It always worked before. When it didn’t happen he didn’t know how to handle a prolonged fight

Tyson planned for a first round knockout. It always worked before. When it didn’t happen he didn’t know how to handle a prolonged fight

True. Tyson would intimidate his opponents into defeat. After Buster Douglas lost his mom, he had already been to Hell and back and there was no intimidating him that night!

True. Tyson would intimidate his opponents into defeat. After Buster Douglas lost his mom, he had already been to Hell and back and there was no intimidating him that night!

I didn't even realize it until I saw the fight again that Tyson put him down in the 8th. His only real punch, a clinical Tyson special, weaving and the side uppercut. The count seemed slightly long, certainly could have been a 10 count. If the round didn't end soon after, Douglas would lose that night.

It shows just how powerful Tyson was, that his only real shot could have been a successful Hail Mary. It's crazy how things work.

Last edited:

I didn't even realize it until I saw the fight again that Tyson put him down n the 8th. His only real punch, a clinical Tyson special, weaving and the side uppercut. The count seemed slightly long, certain could have been a 10 count. If the round didn't end soon after, Douglas would lose that night.

It shows just how powerful Tyson was, that his only real shot could have been a successful Hail Mary. It's crazy how things work.

The Tyson camp definitely had a beef with that.

I didn't even realize it until I saw the fight again that Tyson put him down n the 8th. His only real punch, a clinical Tyson special, weaving and the side uppercut. The count seemed slightly long, certain could have been a 10 count. If the round didn't end soon after, Douglas would lose that night.

Yup, Douglas was on his knee still at the count of nine, barely made it up and was wobbly at ten. Tyson did the same thing but the ref ended the match on his knockdown.

Forum List

Back