Buster Douglas Mike Tyson 30 for 30 tomorrow night

I refused to watch the fight because I thought it would be another Tyson 90 sec knockout

I didn’t see the fight until HBO replayed it. I wish I would have seen it live

Yeah same here.

I got that fight on tape.I bought it when i had the first chance to watch it.

. Douglas LITERALLY was saved by the bell.Tyson knocked him down towards the end of a round and Buster got up and was able to continue since he DID get saved by the bell. Once he got up it wasnt more than 10 or 15 seconds later or so that the round ended and then the bell sounded. You just KNOW had he knocked Buster down toward the middle of the round Buster would have got knocked out after getting up to try and finish the fight.

That was the real live version of the movie Rocky 3. Evander Holifiled said Rocky 3 was his favorite of the Rocky movies because it was so realistic. He was so right because that fight between Douglass and Tyson showed that.It was the real life imitation of Rocky 3 and this is why.

Mike Tyson did not train as hard for that fight and went in not as in top shape as he normally was. Well after Douglass knocked him out,he stopped training as hard as he did for Tyson as well for his next fight against Holyfield.He was fat and out of shape in that fight and it was an easy knockout win for Holyfield.

Tyson was in a real shitty place at that time in his personal life. His focus was not on the fight going into it. Buster just happened to be the lucky guy that was at the right place at the right time.

He was certainly never the same after Cus D'Amato died, but in terms of luck, well, Douglas made his luck. He worked his ass off to be the shape he could be in and I think after his Mother died, it was one of those "I'm not going to be beat by ANY man on this day". Once he lasted the first round, and Tyson was clearly not the crazy, aggressive fighter he had been at times, his confidence had to have grown.

There is no way Tyson was prepared and maybe even motivated, if he had been, he would have destroyed Douglas who didn't have near the power that Tyson had. I don't even remember Tyson even getting inside much at all that fight, a combination of credit to Buster and an under par Tyson. With such a height disadvantage, if Tyson doesn't get inside, he's going to lose to jabs all night,
Tyson planned for a first round knockout. It always worked before. When it didn’t happen he didn’t know how to handle a prolonged fight

True. Tyson would intimidate his opponents into defeat. After Buster Douglas lost his mom, he had already been to Hell and back and there was no intimidating him that night!

I didn't even realize it until I saw the fight again that Tyson put him down n the 8th. His only real punch, a clinical Tyson special, weaving and the side uppercut. The count seemed slightly long, certain could have been a 10 count. If the round didn't end soon after, Douglas would lose that night.

It shows just how powerful Tyson was, that his only real shot could have been a successful Hail Mary. It's crazy how things work.

The Tyson camp definitely had a beef with that.

as i said,it was lucky for Buster that he was LITERALLY saved by the bell is why he did not lose.LOL

Tyson was in a real shitty place at that time in his personal life. His focus was not on the fight going into it. Buster just happened to be the lucky guy that was at the right place at the right time.

He was certainly never the same after Cus D'Amato died, but in terms of luck, well, Douglas made his luck. He worked his ass off to be the shape he could be in and I think after his Mother died, it was one of those "I'm not going to be beat by ANY man on this day". Once he lasted the first round, and Tyson was clearly not the crazy, aggressive fighter he had been at times, his confidence had to have grown.

There is no way Tyson was prepared and maybe even motivated, if he had been, he would have destroyed Douglas who didn't have near the power that Tyson had. I don't even remember Tyson even getting inside much at all that fight, a combination of credit to Buster and an under par Tyson. With such a height disadvantage, if Tyson doesn't get inside, he's going to lose to jabs all night,
Tyson planned for a first round knockout. It always worked before. When it didn’t happen he didn’t know how to handle a prolonged fight

True. Tyson would intimidate his opponents into defeat. After Buster Douglas lost his mom, he had already been to Hell and back and there was no intimidating him that night!

I didn't even realize it until I saw the fight again that Tyson put him down n the 8th. His only real punch, a clinical Tyson special, weaving and the side uppercut. The count seemed slightly long, certain could have been a 10 count. If the round didn't end soon after, Douglas would lose that night.

It shows just how powerful Tyson was, that his only real shot could have been a successful Hail Mary. It's crazy how things work.

Yup, Douglas was on his knee still at the count of nine, barely made it up and was wobbly at ten. Tyson did the same thing but the ref ended the match on his knockdown.
Like a Dempsey/Tunney long count
If a guy is on one knee, you don’t know what count he could rise on

Even so, Mike Tyson was the most devastating punchers I ever saw

His fights when he was 19 and 20 were works of art.

If you rewatch the fight Tyson made himself a stationary target the whole fight. No bobbing and weaving like the typical Iron Mike. He also was headhunting. Had he gone to the body there’s no question there would have been a different outcome

Tyson in his peak is one of the greatest if not the greats athlete of all time

And yes Tyson in his prime would have putting a whooping on Ali in his prime

Yup, Douglas was on his knee still at the count of nine, barely made it up and was wobbly at ten. Tyson did the same thing but the ref ended the match on his knockdown.

True, but Tyson's mouthpiece was sideways when he got up and the ref looked in his eyes and saw he was on queer street....I saw Emile Griffith kill Benny Paret and Ray Mancini kill that Korean fighter....don't want to see that again so I agree with a referee's judgement when he says that's enough.

I've had the debate with many, maybe I'm biased, but to me, in all of their prime, nobody beats Tyson. Ali would never survive with a rope a dope, he couldn't take sustained shots which Tyson would land. Tyson would get inside and that would be it. Foreman in his prime would be close, but, again, Tysons speed and power were insane for the heavyweight class and Foreman showed with his fight against Ali that he wasn't fast enough.

I think of a Roy Jones Junior as a perfect fighter, with his speed and accuracy, Tyson had similar speed and accuracy, with much more power obviously and crazy head movement. It made him tough to catch as he wore you down with body shots until he decided to put you out of your misery. He hardly took any shots his first two dozen fights. All of this was very difficult for heavyweight class to handle. So I do believe, as much as there was a myth to him as a fighter, he was legitimately as unbeatable as they come when he was in his prime and serious (Don King really was no ally to his legacy).

My favourite fighter is Joe Frazier, before my time, but he was mentally as tough as nails, one of those SOB'S who would go to the end of the earth to try and win, just the heart of a lion. If Tyson had his mental makeup and dedication, he wouldn't have lost for 10 years. On this night, he was clearly not Mike Tyson. Not take anything away from Buster Douglas who was the far better fighter this night, but Tyson was not himself at all. Maybe never was again.

Nope....Ali would have cut Tyson to pieces with his jabs....you're forgetting how fast Ali was and what a punch he could take. Tyson only dreamed of hitting as hard as Sonny Liston or George Foreman and Ali took everything they, rope-a-doped em and knocked em both out. Nobody in boxing history stood a chance against Ali in his prime

Nope....Ali would have cut Tyson to pieces with his jabs....you're forgetting how fast Ali was and what a punch he could take. Tyson only dreamed of hitting as hard as Sonny Liston or George Foreman and Ali took everything they, rope-a-doped em and knocked em both out. Nobody in boxing history stood a chance against Ali in his prime

Tyson was the best inside fighter in the history of boxing. He would have gotten through that jab. And Tyson’s uppercut was the most leathal weapon in the history of boxing as well. Ali wouldn’t be able to rope a dope Tyson.

I've had the debate with many, maybe I'm biased, but to me, in all of their prime, nobody beats Tyson. Ali would never survive with a rope a dope, he couldn't take sustained shots which Tyson would land. Tyson would get inside and that would be it. Foreman in his prime would be close, but, again, Tysons speed and power were insane for the heavyweight class and Foreman showed with his fight against Ali that he wasn't fast enough.

I think of a Roy Jones Junior as a perfect fighter, with his speed and accuracy, Tyson had similar speed and accuracy, with much more power obviously and crazy head movement. It made him tough to catch as he wore you down with body shots until he decided to put you out of your misery. He hardly took any shots his first two dozen fights. All of this was very difficult for heavyweight class to handle. So I do believe, as much as there was a myth to him as a fighter, he was legitimately as unbeatable as they come when he was in his prime and serious (Don King really was no ally to his legacy).

My favourite fighter is Joe Frazier, before my time, but he was mentally as tough as nails, one of those SOB'S who would go to the end of the earth to try and win, just the heart of a lion. If Tyson had his mental makeup and dedication, he wouldn't have lost for 10 years. On this night, he was clearly not Mike Tyson. Not take anything away from Buster Douglas who was the far better fighter this night, but Tyson was not himself at all. Maybe never was again.

^^^^^^this

Tyson was the best inside fighter in the history of boxing. He would have gotten through that jab. And Tyson’s uppercut was the most leathal weapon in the history of boxing as well. Ali wouldn’t be able to rope a dope Tyson.

Have to disagree....best inside heavyweight fighter was Joe Frazier...the only fighter that ever knocked Ali down I think...Chuvalo might have knocked him down. All of Clay's fights were televised back in the early 60's and I saw them all. Chuvalo gave him a hell of a fight and so did Oscar Bonavena but Ali showed his endurance was endless....Tyson we'll never know about because his opponents were terrified of him and got out with a paycheck as fast as they could. I don't care for Ali because he was a draft-dodger and some mother's son went in his place...but nobody was ever better.

better get off the crack you been smoking.:haha:Ali beat the best in the business.Tyson never faught the kind of quality opponents he did.Ali was too smart to where he would have have worn tyson out getting jabs in and not letting Tyson get an upper cut on him.Tyson could not last deep into rounds and had a glass chin that got exposed by Douglass.:iyfyus.jpg:

Tyson would not be able to carry Alis jockstrap.

I can tell everybody this....Cleveland Williams and Ernie Shavers could both put anybody away with one punch either hand...they both landed BOMBS on Ali and he danced away. He told an interviewer once about being knocked out on his feet many times but didn't go down because he let his body take over until his mind cleared. He said he went into a room in his mind and some shit about bats blowing trumpets, alligators playing trombone, and who knows what else...nobody talks like that....but he did.

A most illuminating anecdote is Ali's description of the Near Room, an imaginary place Ali found himself looking into when things went badly in the ring:...he imagined the door swung half open and inside he could see neon, orange and green lights blinking, and bats blowing trumpets and alligators playing trombones, and where he could see snakes screaming. Weird masks and actors' clothes hung on the wall, and if he stepped across the sill and reached for them, he knew that he was committing himself to his own destruction.

Curious George Fights the Champ | News | The Harvard Crimson

Last edited:
Some of you are buying more into Ali's aura than Tysons. Fear alone doesn't knock somebody out, a fist does. Yes, opponents were afraid of Tyson, but none was more celebrated and promoted than Ali. He got into heads more than anyone in history and he was the centre of the sports world. Tyson was this 5'11 heavyweight, unheard of. Name another heavyweight his size.

Ali had speed, but not Tyson speed. Tyson was borderline psycho, Cus demanded it of him. Whether you care for him or not, and much of his career I didn't; as a boxer, he had only one care in the world and that was to destroy you. Ali wasn't nearly as powerful a puncher and you can bet, he wouldn't dance away. Tyson would go in one direction until Ali was on the mat. I've read about Cus D'Amoto's tactics, he turned Tyson into a Spartan, he had one desire and that was to win and hurt his opponents. Again, not admirable in day to day life, very vital in the boxing ring.

You place a frizzly bear and a cheetah in an open field, the cheetah will get away. In the ring, it will eventually get caught...

Last edited:
Tyson in his peak is one of the greatest if not the greats athlete of all time
When he was with Cus D’Amato and Teddy Atlas he was something to watch

He fought every six weeks and destroyed anyone they put in front of him

Some of you are buying more into Ali's aura than Tysons. Fear alone doesn't knock somebody out, a fist does. Yes, opponents were afraid of Tyson, but none was more celebrated and promoted than Ali. He got into heads more than anyone in history and he was the centre of the sports world. Tyson was this 5'11 heavyweight, unheard of. Name another heavyweight his size.

Ali had speed, but not Tyson speed. Tyson was borderline psycho, Cus demanded it of him. Whether you care for him or not, and much of his career I didn't; as a boxer, he had only one care in the world and that was to destroy you. Ali wasn't nearly as powerful a puncher and you can bet, he wouldn't dance away. Tyson would go in one direction until Ali was on the mat. I've read about Cus D'Amoto's tactics, he turned Ali into a Spartan, he had one desire and that was to win and hurt his opponents. Again, not admirable in day to day life, very vital in the boxing ring.

You place a frizzly bear and a cheetah in an open field, the cheetah will get away. In the ring, it will eventually get caught...
Ali was an artist and Tyson was a destroyer

At their prime, Ali would have won

I can tell everybody this....Cleveland Williams and Ernie Shavers could both put anybody away with one punch either hand...they both landed BOMBS on Ali and he danced away. He told an interviewer once about being knocked out on his feet many times but didn't go down because he let his body take over until his mind cleared. He said he went into a room in his mind and some shit about bats blowing trumpets, alligators playing trombone, and who knows what else...nobody talks like that....but he did.

A most illuminating anecdote is Ali's description of the Near Room, an imaginary place Ali found himself looking into when things went badly in the ring:...he imagined the door swung half open and inside he could see neon, orange and green lights blinking, and bats blowing trumpets and alligators playing trombones, and where he could see snakes screaming. Weird masks and actors' clothes hung on the wall, and if he stepped across the sill and reached for them, he knew that he was committing himself to his own destruction.

Curious George Fights the Champ | News | The Harvard Crimson
you took the Tyson apologists to school same as me.lol

thats WHY Tyson would have never lasted very long in the ring with Ali once his glass chin got exposed by him.Ali was way too smart and Tyson was too stupid that he would have been baited by him everytime.LOL

Mike Tyson was 20 years old when he won the heavyweight belt. Barely 20 as it were. Think about how that for a moment.

I don't know how many of you were watching Tysons fights during these years, but he was an Atom bomb, moved in one direction, left to right like an alien until he caught his prey. Even in this first loss to Buster, as I suggested, he hit the much bigger Douglas with one real solid punch all night, and it immediately dropped him to a count of 9, requiring the end of the round to save him.

There was simply no fighter then or since like him. Much like a Joe Louis, he just redefined the sport, in the most raw and savage manner. Forget beauty and style points, he was going to knock you out. Again, in his prime and with one focus, I say he beats Ali.

Here is an interesting analysis of both fighters, he makes some very important points about Tysons head movement being side to side, and the videos illustrate this. He stalked and struck like a cobra, with such power that often one or two punches was enough.

Ali would rely on holding and trying to keep Tyson at bay with his jab. For my money, I would say he wouldn't be successful. If he was lucky it would be a quick uppercut and lights out. I'd hate to see him try and absorb punches as he did with Frazier and hope to stay on his feet. It would be very dangerous if he could even be successful at it.

A Brutally Honest Look at Mike Tyson versus Muhammad Ali

Forum List

Back