Big Brother Fines Utah HS for selling soda

I hope they banned fruit juice too. Or bug juice. Remember that? It was red koolaid. Milk has sugar in it too. Guess that just leaves water.

My bad. I just posted this.

I don't care if the feds do consider themselves soda police. (well I do, but that's moot) The fine is outrageous. How about "Naughty, naughty. NEXT time we may fine you"?

"It's for the children after all." :evil:

$15K is a lot of money to a school. To the feds, it's one luxury night in Vegas for GSA - where they drink harder stuff than soda.

Blood boiling...

When the parents and students complain about a shortage of books or computers, they can write thank you notes to the Obama administration for making the school pay the ridiculous fine.

The schools and all of us need to remember that we no longer have the right to chose our own beverages and food. Where the hell does this school think they are- in a free country or something. Ask the government for permission before making any choices to ensure you don't end up paying fines or going to jail. tsk tsk

The OUTRAGE!

My kid likes to have a nice cold beer with lunch. But the laws in place prohibit this freedom. What has become of this country!

Because beer is exactly the same as soda.

Obviously you have nothing of substance to contribute so just shut the fuck up.

Last edited:
Here's the problem that this ruling is trying to address.. .

CDC - NPAO - Obesity Facts - Adolescent and School Health

Childhood obesity has more than tripled in the past 30 years.
The percentage of children aged 6–11 years in the United States who were obese increased from 7% in 1980 to nearly 20% in 2008. Similarly, the percentage of adolescents aged 12–19 years who were obese increased from 5% to 18% over the same period.
In 2008, more than one third of children and adolescents were overweight or obese.1,2
Overweight is defined as having excess body weight for a particular height from fat, muscle, bone, water, or a combination of these factors.3 Obesity is defined as having excess body fat.4
Overweight and obesity are the result of “caloric imbalance”—too few calories expended for the amount of calories consumed—and are affected by various genetic, behavioral, and environmental factors.5,6

But to the Gatsby's of the world, it's about the freedom of vending machine companies to sell unhealthy stuff to children.

Freedom, baby. Screw responsibility. That's for poor people.

Childhood obesity is rising because of technology and flat out lazy parenting. The schools are not going to eliminate childhood obesity by banning consumption of goods the kids will just obtain once they leave. Furthermore, it's not their responsibility to worry about that in the first place. They are there to educate, not parent.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
Heres the deal.

school is government property.

Soda is teeth rotting crap.

Gov't should also force kids to get on a treadmill.

Gov't should also force kids to eat their vegetables, if they don't, have a bureacrat on standby to force feed the kid against his will.

Isn't that called PE class?

I took 2 PE classes, which totaled about 6 months in a 4 year high school period. I'm 27 now, so I'm sure things haven't changed that much.

We need to stop pretending keeping vending machines out of school stops kids from drinking pop at school. What about the up side? The money schools get from the vending machine they can use in their athletic departments? Obviously playing sports is healthy.

Four more years of Obama anyone?

Hahahaha

You think the soda ban in schools started with President Obama? (of course you do!) Didn't Coke and Pepsi sue the government for the right to have their soda machines in school hallways back in the mid 1980's when the bans first began?

School cafeterias are a profit center for schools now because of the NSLP. 15 grand is a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of reimbusement money that most high schools gets.

However unless this school has repeatedly ignored the rule I think they should get off with just a warning.

Hahahaha

You think the soda ban in schools started with President Obama? (of course you do!) Didn't Coke and Pepsi sue the government for the right to have their soda machines in school hallways back in the mid 1980's when the bans first began?

School cafeterias are a profit center for schools now because of the NSLP. 15 grand is a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of reimbusement money that most high schools gets.

However unless this school has repeatedly ignored the rule I think they should get off with just a warning.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/Child_Nutrition_Fact_Sheet_12_10_10.pdf

Yes, unplugging soda machines is from an Obama directive as is the fine.

Hahahaha

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/Child_Nutrition_Fact_Sheet_12_10_10.pdf

Hold on, you just caused numerous Obamabot crashes. They'll be back in a minute, after they reboot.

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
This may help people better understand why so many Americans are obedient to the State. It's definitely worth the 8 Minutes. Check it out.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okPnDZ1Txlo]SCHOOL SUCKS: The American Way - YouTube[/ame]

Children are minors and while at school they are in the governments care.

would you like your childs tutor to give them soda right before they tutor them?

Hahahaha

While I agree the unplugging and fines originated with the Obama administration. I' not sure how your cited document proves that. This is the only thing that might...
Gives USDA the authority to set nutritional standards for all foods regularly sold in schools during the school day, including vending machines, the “a la carte” lunch lines, and school stores.
...and it's just about standards. It would be a real reach to say this part deals with unplugging machines or fines.

Utah High School Fined $15,000 for Selling Soda | Video | TheBlaze.com

N/M the fine. WTF? Since when does the federal government regulate whether soda can be sold at a high school? They sold soda at my high school and I had no problem with it. And how is it even Constitutional for the government to restrict soda sales?

Welcome to Nanny/Police State U.S.A. Isn't it fun?

Welcome? Are you serious? I grew up at a time where teachers could make you put the gum you were chewing on your nose for the entire period.

I still think that the food lunch standards are way below par, and suck ass of the processed food industry. If we the people want healthy meals in our school lunch programs, we the people should be more active. Personally, I think that we the people ought to demand that our legislatures and DOA be more thoughtful, and not allow schools to serve shit to kids.

Hahahaha

So your problem is the way they choose to enforce the ban, not with with ban itself?

Silly Nanny/Police Staters. They're worried about Soda in Schools, while Big Brother is busy spraying their children with deadly toxic chemicals. Oh Nanny/Police Staters, they're so oblivious.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te_FOsKL_5Q]"What in the World are They Spraying?" - Official Trailer - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Forum List

Back