Big Brother Fines Utah HS for selling soda

My bad. I just posted this.

I don't care if the feds do consider themselves soda police. (well I do, but that's moot) The fine is outrageous. How about "Naughty, naughty. NEXT time we may fine you"?

"It's for the children after all." :evil:

$15K is a lot of money to a school. To the feds, it's one luxury night in Vegas for GSA - where they drink harder stuff than soda.

Blood boiling...

My bad. I just posted this.

I don't care if the feds do consider themselves soda police. (well I do, but that's moot) The fine is outrageous. How about "Naughty, naughty. NEXT time we may fine you"?

"It's for the children after all." :evil:

$15K is a lot of money to a school. To the feds, it's one luxury night in Vegas for GSA - where they drink harder stuff than soda.

Blood boiling...

The fine is not a huge deal. It's a minimal amount of money. It's that our liberties keep getting taken by these blow hards. I'm for undoing the public education system and anything federal where the govt. thinks they need to dictate our lives.

I do not believe soda should be sold in schools, however that is a decision that should be made by the local school boards.
What kind of nation have we become where the central government is even AWARE of things happening at a local school, let alone regulate it?
Ban teachers unions, ban the Dept. Education.

What Glenn KrazyPerson leaves out is that the rule ONLY applies to schools that take money from the federal government for the school lunch program.

Incidently, I think this is an overreaction unless there is more to this story we don't know.

But given the source, there probably is.

Here's the problem that this ruling is trying to address.. .

CDC - NPAO - Obesity Facts - Adolescent and School Health

Childhood obesity has more than tripled in the past 30 years.
The percentage of children aged 6–11 years in the United States who were obese increased from 7% in 1980 to nearly 20% in 2008. Similarly, the percentage of adolescents aged 12–19 years who were obese increased from 5% to 18% over the same period.
In 2008, more than one third of children and adolescents were overweight or obese.1,2
Overweight is defined as having excess body weight for a particular height from fat, muscle, bone, water, or a combination of these factors.3 Obesity is defined as having excess body fat.4
Overweight and obesity are the result of “caloric imbalance”—too few calories expended for the amount of calories consumed—and are affected by various genetic, behavioral, and environmental factors.5,6

But to the Gatsby's of the world, it's about the freedom of vending machine companies to sell unhealthy stuff to children.

Freedom, baby. Screw responsibility. That's for poor people.

We know what's best for you...or else.

/FedGov
That's right. Prisoners don't decide when they can buy soda, the gov't decides for you.

We don't need an armed insurection against the gov't. But there comes a time when you've got to tell the "authorites" to fuck off and mind their own business.

The best thing the school could do is keep selling soda and not pay the fine. Have a huge press conference and announce it while denouncing Big Brother.

I guarantee the gov't would back down.

damn those freedom hating feds.

they should be allowing them to sell crap that harms the kids if they want to.

The OUTRAGE!

My kid likes to have a nice cold beer with lunch. But the laws in place prohibit this freedom. What has become of this country!

Comparing beer, which a student can get drunk on, leave school and kill someone while driving, to soda which can can nothing to impair someone mentally, is amazing.

Why not just say "I'm stupid" and save yourself the typing?

Heres the deal.

school is government property.

Soda is teeth rotting crap.

Gov't should also force kids to get on a treadmill.

Gov't should also force kids to eat their vegetables, if they don't, have a bureacrat on standby to force feed the kid against his will.

I think the following picture sums up this discussion nicely.

Attachments

• $Conservatives v Liberals.jpg
    $Conservatives v Liberals.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 100

Forum List

Back