Big Brother Fines Utah HS for selling soda

"These vending machines were not in the cafeteria — that (would) violate the standards," he said. "They were down in a different part of the school, but since these kids walked down to the cafeteria for their lunches and then walked down the hallway toward the gym where the vending machines were, and there's not a wall to stop them from doing that, the entire school was designated as a cafeteria and the school was penalized."
Another Utah high school also has racked up fines for similar violations, said Rep. Rob Bishop, R-Utah.
Box Elder High School in Brigham City was fined $19,000 for violations earlier in the school year, he said
Davis High School hit with $16k in soda fines | www.ktvu.com

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel
What if these fines aren't paid? Will Big Brother arrest and imprison these school officials?

I wonder if they're fining the teachers who aren't doing their jobs. That's a bigger problem than soda.

"...the entire school was designated as a cafeteria and the school was penalized."

Yeah, let a kid eat a sandwich in class and see what happens. :cool:

Stupid damned bureaucrats.

I went to Catholic school, and if we ate something in class, the Nuns would take it away from us.

In this case, the bookstore that sold sodas was connected to the cafeteria by a window and kids could walk up to it an ask for stuff.

Now, again, I think this is a bureaucratic overreaction, unless there are mitigating circumstances, and given it's Beck, there probably are.

I'll ignore that since "not doing their job" equals "low test scores" and that's coming. And of course that responsibility should fall on local school boards (who know the teachers) and the State. But with the new national standards, the feds will be involved in the very near future.

Back to topic - NJ has strict nutritional standards and we got rid of the soda and ice cream machines in the cafeteria years ago. But there are still a few in the building for teachers and visitors. The proceeds from Pepsi go to the Booster Club. The amount is minimal.

One of our Special Ed. teachers (who is working with severely handicapped kids) was teaching the students about money and let them get snacks and sodas from the vending machines in the teacher's lounge. I thought it was a great lesson and I'm certain their parents would approve.

Please don't tell the Feds!

[... As long as it is not something illegal for kids to have (Beer for example), it is all well and good...

'

Well, if there's a Federal law against selling sodas during lunch, they WOULD be illegal for kids.

And the authority for that is where in the Constitution...?? Do you have a link to this law?? I would actually love to read it... (not being shitty towards you here... I would really like to read it)

How hard should this be? If a state wants to receive a subsidy for school lunches, they can't sell high calorie soda at the time lunch is being served. Seems pretty simple to me. Utah has a choice. They can either pay their own freight in making sure their kids have a lunch or let the kids starve out the day. If they choose to have all taxpayers kick in, they follow the rules.

I'd be more pissed if a a state decided that a Pepsi and bag of Cheetohs were a healthy lunch, and asked the population to subsidize it. Remember Reagan claiming that ketchup was a veggie?

Last edited:
How hard should this be? If a state wants to receive a subsidy for school lunches, they can't sell high calorie soda at the time lunch is being served. Seems pretty simple to me. Utah has a choice. They can either pay their own freight in making sure their kids have a lunch or let the kids starve out the day. If they choose to have all taxpayers kick in, they follow the rules.

I'd be more pissed if a a state decided that a Pepsi and bag of Cheetohs were a healthy lunch, and asked the population to subsidize it.

Can't? Says WHOM Tick Duck?

I'd be more pissed if a a state decided that a Pepsi and bag of Cheetohs were a healthy lunch, and asked the population to subsidize it.

Says the rules of subsidizing food lunches. Do you want your tax dollars to add a coke to school lunches? Is that good public policy?

Says the rules of subsidizing food lunches. Do you want your tax dollars to add a coke to school lunches? Is that good public policy?
Whose RULES Tick Duck?

Forum List

Back