Big Brother Fines Utah HS for selling soda

Hahahaha

You think the soda ban in schools started with President Obama? (of course you do!) Didn't Coke and Pepsi sue the government for the right to have their soda machines in school hallways back in the mid 1980's when the bans first began?

School cafeterias are a profit center for schools now because of the NSLP. 15 grand is a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of reimbusement money that most high schools gets.

However unless this school has repeatedly ignored the rule I think they should get off with just a warning.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/Child_Nutrition_Fact_Sheet_12_10_10.pdf

Yes, unplugging soda machines is from an Obama directive as is the fine.

Hold on, you just caused numerous Obamabot crashes. They'll be back in a minute, after they reboot.

True to form Lib-o-Pauli, everyone who doesn't display approraiate Fauxrage at these chump stories must of course be an Obamabot.

Heres the deal.

school is government property.

Soda is teeth rotting crap.

I'm more worried about the mind rotting crap some kids are being taught. Some teachers could care less about teaching basics and use their position to indoctrinate children into liberalville.

Hahahaha

You think the soda ban in schools started with President Obama? (of course you do!) Didn't Coke and Pepsi sue the government for the right to have their soda machines in school hallways back in the mid 1980's when the bans first began?

School cafeterias are a profit center for schools now because of the NSLP. 15 grand is a drop in the bucket compared to the amount of reimbusement money that most high schools gets.

However unless this school has repeatedly ignored the rule I think they should get off with just a warning.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/sites/default/files/Child_Nutrition_Fact_Sheet_12_10_10.pdf

So your problem is the way they choose to enforce the ban, not with with ban itself?

What federal ban would that be? You'll need to link that because to the best of my knowledge there has NEVER been a federal ban on school vending machines.

And I have a problem with the Whitehouse trying to micromanage state schools.

It all comes down to the feds taking taxpayer money out of states and then doling it back with strings attached.

Hahahaha

While I agree the unplugging and fines originated with the Obama administration. I' not sure how your cited document proves that. This is the only thing that might...
Gives USDA the authority to set nutritional standards for all foods regularly sold in schools during the school day, including vending machines, the “a la carte” lunch lines, and school stores.
...and it's just about standards. It would be a real reach to say this part deals with unplugging machines or fines.

Final Rule: Nutrition Standards in the National School Lunch and School Breakfast Programs
Through the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act championed by the First Lady
and signed by President Obama, USDA is making the first major changes
in school meals in 15 years
, which will help us raise a healthier generation of children.

Obama wants school vending machine changes - Health - Diet and nutrition - msnbc.com

Heres the deal.

I'm more worried about the mind rotting crap some kids are being taught. Some teachers could care less about teaching basics and use their position to indoctrinate children into liberalville.

then tell your con friends to become teachers if you think that is true.

They dont , you know why?

they are too money driven to accept the shitty pay we pay teachers.

oh and BTW your premise is nothing but right wing propaganda

Children are minors and while at school they are in the governments care.

would you like your childs tutor to give them soda right before they tutor them?

The school isn't giving them soda. The students are purchasing it on their own accord.

So your problem is the way they choose to enforce the ban, not with with ban itself?

What federal ban would that be? You'll need to link that because to the best of my knowledge there has NEVER been a federal ban on school vending machines.

It all comes down to the feds taking taxpayer money out of states and then doling it back with strings attached.

The USDA's ban on sodas not just in vending machines. In 1983 the National Soft Drink Association challeged the USDA's partial ban on sodas in vending machines. Thats where/when they came up with the brilliant idea to not sell sodas during lunch serving periods only.

As was noted earlier the schools who are on the NSLP program are the only one affected by the rules. Of course they get huge sums of tax dollars for feeding the kids too.

The feds increasing control in our live didn't start with this president and likely will not stop with the next one. I'm afraid it's going to take a major depression or sojme world changing event for that trent to reverse.

My bad. I just posted this.

I don't care if the feds do consider themselves soda police. (well I do, but that's moot) The fine is outrageous. How about "Naughty, naughty. NEXT time we may fine you"?

"It's for the children after all." :evil:

$15K is a lot of money to a school. To the feds, it's one luxury night in Vegas for GSA - where they drink harder stuff than soda.

Blood boiling...

The fine is not a huge deal. It's a minimal amount of money. It's that our liberties keep getting taken by these blow hards. I'm for undoing the public education system and anything federal where the govt. thinks they need to dictate our lives.

First of all, this regulation is not some new law drummed up by Big Brother. The law has been in place for decades and had been challenged in the past. My understanding of it is that in order to receive federal funding for school meal programs, reduced and free meals, schools must follow certain guidelines. One of those guidelines is that pop will not be sold in school during lunch period. It's a bit like with the drinking age. States can set the age to purchase and legally consume alcohol at whatever age they choose; however, states that choose to make the age below 21 will lose federal money for roads. It's a way to make them play ball while still giving them the option to go a different route.

721 F2d 1348 National Soft Drink Association v. R Block | OpenJurist

It's important to understand this is not some new law put in place recently. It's been around for a long time. The truth is that kids shouldn't be drinking pop in school. Schools are for learning, not for gorging oneself. If a parent wants their child to drink pop for lunch, then pack it in their bag lunch. I mean honestly, do parents really want their kids drinking pop in school? If they do, I question their parenting skills.

I realize that your concern is more about government forcing regulations on us, but the fact is that there are parents who would give their kids money to buy pop at school. Some parents really are that stupid. What surprises me is that the parents don't demand that the pop machines be removed from the schools completely.

The USDA doesn't like anything you might choose to eat.

Study: 96% of restaurant entrees exceed USDA limits

They just haven't gotten around to doing anything about it yet.

A whopping 96% of main entrees sold at top U.S. chain eateries exceed daily limits for calories, sodium, fat and saturated fat recommended by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, reports the 18-month study conducted by the Rand Corp. and funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.

"If you're eating out tonight, your chances of finding an entree that's truly healthy are painfully low," says Helen Wu, assistant policy analyst at Rand who oversaw the study. It examined the nutritional content of 30,923 menu items from 245 restaurant brands across the USA. "The restaurant industry needs to make big changes to be part of the solution," she says.

What should happen to parents who take the family out to dinner?

The USDA's ban on sodas not just in vending machines. In 1983 the National Soft Drink Association challeged the USDA's partial ban on sodas in vending machines. Thats where/when they came up with the brilliant idea to not sell sodas during lunch serving periods only.

As was noted earlier the schools who are on the NSLP program are the only one affected by the rules. Of course they get huge sums of tax dollars for feeding the kids too.

The feds increasing control in our live didn't start with this president and likely will not stop with the next one. I'm afraid it's going to take a major depression or sojme world changing event for that trent to reverse.

USDA rules prior to Obama only required that competitive foods that didn't meet the nutritional standards could not be available in food service areas during lunch. They could still be available in other areas of the school. The non compliant machine in Utah was in the bookstore. But above and beyond that, any increase in federal control needs to be a reason for concern. The fact that tax dollars are being used to buy compliance to federal wishes ought to worry people.

Heres the deal.

Actually, this is quite a deal in my book.

Doesn't know Truth...not that it matters needs to define which government the school belongs to.

It belongs to the Federal Government ?

Don't think so.

She is an asshole.

This comes right out of the Al Gore book of "I'm gonna save you from yourself".

Unbelievable.

Anyone who thinks this is acceptable on contitutional grounds is just bitter because it would be obvious they failed in whatever school they attended.

USDA rules prior to Obama only required that competitive foods that didn't meet the nutritional standards could not be available in food service areas during lunch. They could still be available in other areas of the school. The non compliant machine in Utah was in the bookstore. But above and beyond that, any increase in federal control needs to be a reason for concern. The fact that tax dollars are being used to buy compliance to federal wishes ought to worry people.

No sir, the ban has not been limited to just the serving areas but includes the entire school during the serving period.

http://www.nassp.org/portals/0/content/46807.pdf

As a result (of the 1983 lawsuit), although current USDA regulations prohibit the sale of foods of minimal nutritional value in the cafeteria or other food service areas during the school lunch period, there are no specific prohibitions on the sale of such foods within the school as long as it takes place outside of traditional lunch times and food service areas.

No sir, the ban has not been limited to just the serving areas but includes the entire school during the serving period.

http://www.nassp.org/portals/0/content/46807.pdf

As a result (of the 1983 lawsuit), although current USDA regulations prohibit the sale of foods of minimal nutritional value in the cafeteria or other food service areas during the school lunch period, there are no specific prohibitions on the sale of such foods within the school as long as it takes place outside of traditional lunch times and food service areas.
http://www.nhpf.org/library/issue-briefs/IB835_CompetitiveFoods_12-11-09.pdf

As of December 11, 2009

Federal Standard For Competitive Foods
Current federal rules place few limits on the sale of competitive
foods in schools. Existing Usda regulations prohibit the sale of specific “foods of minimal nutritional value” (see text box, next page)
in the food service area during mealtimes. such foods include soda,
water ices not made with real fruit or juice, chewing gum, and certain candies. Consistent with this ban, these restricted foods are not
often found in school food service lines during mealtimes, but they
may be available through vending machines in or near the cafeteria.

Federal policy on competitive foods has changed numerous times
since 1970, when Congress first directed Usda to define and regulate competitive foods (primarily in response to concerns about tooth
decay).
Early regulations effectively banned from the cafeteria during mealtimes all foods not offered as part of the meal or as an à la
carte choice. subsequent pressure from food and beverage industries
regarding these restrictions led Congress to strip Usda of regulatory
authority over competitive foods in 1972. Congress reversed itself again in 1977 and restored
regulatory authority to Usda, and regulations
implementing this restored authority were issued in 1980 after a contentious rule-making
process. these regulations prohibited the sale
of foods of minimal nutritional value anywhere
on school grounds until the end of the last lunch
period. the National soft drink association and
others challenged this restriction in court. the
district of Columbia Federal Court of appeals
struck the rule down in 1983, finding that Usda
had overstepped its authority in regulating the
sale of foods outside the food service area and
outside of mealtimes. In response to the court
ruling, Usda established the existing regulatory framework, which essentially reflects the
status of restrictions first imposed in 1970.

Congress has continued to grapple with the
appropriate regulatory role of Usda with respect to competitive foods. despite the lull in
legislative action, Congressional debate on the
issue has not abated over the last 20 years. In
the 111th Congress, bills have been introduced
in both the House and senate (s. 934 and H.R. 1324) to increase federal restrictions on competitive foods. these identical bills charge
Usda with identifying science-based standards for all food and
beverages available in schools at any time during the school day and
promulgating regulations to implement these standards. the bills
do not specify penalties for schools that fail to adhere to the federal
standards to be promulgated by Usda.

Heres the deal.

Was in a government building this morning.. passed at least 3 soda machines as well as a couple more with candy and fattening chips...

Funny that they are not being fined or taken out... ain't it??

Whether you let your teeth fall out or get as big as the empty space in your head TDM, it is of no business of the government nannies...

Schools and student clubs use this (as well as selling candy bars, lollipops, etc) for fund raising for things such as the library, gym, uniforms, dances, etc... As long as it is not something illegal for kids to have (Beer for example), it is all well and good...

It is up to parents and students themselves to make decisions on what they are going to eat or drink...

This is just as bad as the lunch gestapo inspecting kids' lunches for what they consider 'wrong food'

Heres the deal.

Was in a government building this morning.. passed at least 3 soda machines as well as a couple more with candy and fattening chips...

Funny that they are not being fined or taken out... ain't it??

Whether you let your teeth fall out or get as big as the empty space in your head TDM, it is of no business of the government nannies...

Schools and student clubs use this (as well as selling candy bars, lollipops, etc) for fund raising for things such as the library, gym, uniforms, dances, etc... As long as it is not something illegal for kids to have (Beer for example), it is all well and good...

It is up to parents and students themselves to make decisions on what they are going to eat or drink...

This is just as bad as the lunch gestapo inspecting kids' lunches for what they consider 'wrong food'

And substituting those lunches with USDA approved pressed Chicken Lips.

Liberty? Choice? Endangered?

And he should be along with every citizen of this Republic...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pnw3FgeuJQ&feature=player_embedded"]Bishop Delivers Remarks About Ridiculous Fines Imposed on Utah Schools Re. Fed Nutrition Rules - YouTube[/ame]

Utah Rep. Bishop Lectures Colleagues on the Constitution After 2nd School Fined $19K for Selling Soda

That led Bishop to deliver a passionate House speech on Wednesday where he lectured his colleagues on the Constitution.

“It is restated in the 10th Amendment where each level of government had a specific and distinct responsibility. When the states were interfering with the federal government, it produced historical catastrophic consequences,” Bishop said on Thursday. “But also when the federal government interferes with the role of states, the consequences will range from being catastrophic to just plain silly.”

He wasn’t done:
“In 2010, this congress passed the Healthy and Hunger-free Kids Act. We were wrong to pass it for five reasons. Number one, it was a Senate bill–that should have been our first tipoff. Number two, it was opposed by the National Governor’s Association. Three, it was opposed by the school boards association. Four, it violated the Constitution. Finally, number five, we created a one-size-fits-all federal program, not defined by us.”

Federal Government out of control.

Here's the problem that this ruling is trying to address.. .

CDC - NPAO - Obesity Facts - Adolescent and School Health

Childhood obesity has more than tripled in the past 30 years.
The percentage of children aged 6–11 years in the United States who were obese increased from 7% in 1980 to nearly 20% in 2008. Similarly, the percentage of adolescents aged 12–19 years who were obese increased from 5% to 18% over the same period.
In 2008, more than one third of children and adolescents were overweight or obese.1,2
Overweight is defined as having excess body weight for a particular height from fat, muscle, bone, water, or a combination of these factors.3 Obesity is defined as having excess body fat.4
Overweight and obesity are the result of “caloric imbalance”—too few calories expended for the amount of calories consumed—and are affected by various genetic, behavioral, and environmental factors.5,6

But to the Gatsby's of the world, it's about the freedom of vending machine companies to sell unhealthy stuff to children.

Freedom, baby. Screw responsibility. That's for poor people.

I don't give a rat's ass what stat you point to. If there's a problem we can deal with it through education and awareness; not by taking liberties away. Not now, not ever.

The OUTRAGE!

My kid likes to have a nice cold beer with lunch. But the laws in place prohibit this freedom. What has become of this country!

Comparing beer, which a student can get drunk on, leave school and kill someone while driving, to soda which can can nothing to impair someone mentally, is amazing.

Why not just say "I'm stupid" and save yourself the typing?

I'll say it. LoneLaugher is stupid. :eek:

My bad. I just posted this.

I don't care if the feds do consider themselves soda police. (well I do, but that's moot) The fine is outrageous. How about "Naughty, naughty. NEXT time we may fine you"?

"It's for the children after all." :evil:

$15K is a lot of money to a school. To the feds, it's one luxury night in Vegas for GSA - where they drink harder stuff than soda.

Blood boiling...

The fine is not a huge deal. It's a minimal amount of money. It's that our liberties keep getting taken by these blow hards. I'm for undoing the public education system and anything federal where the govt. thinks they need to dictate our lives.

First of all, this regulation is not some new law drummed up by Big Brother. The law has been in place for decades and had been challenged in the past. My understanding of it is that in order to receive federal funding for school meal programs, reduced and free meals, schools must follow certain guidelines. One of those guidelines is that pop will not be sold in school during lunch period. It's a bit like with the drinking age. States can set the age to purchase and legally consume alcohol at whatever age they choose; however, states that choose to make the age below 21 will lose federal money for roads. It's a way to make them play ball while still giving them the option to go a different route.

721 F2d 1348 National Soft Drink Association v. R Block | OpenJurist

It's important to understand this is not some new law put in place recently. It's been around for a long time. The truth is that kids shouldn't be drinking pop in school. Schools are for learning, not for gorging oneself. If a parent wants their child to drink pop for lunch, then pack it in their bag lunch. I mean honestly, do parents really want their kids drinking pop in school? If they do, I question their parenting skills.

I realize that your concern is more about government forcing regulations on us, but the fact is that there are parents who would give their kids money to buy pop at school. Some parents really are that stupid. What surprises me is that the parents don't demand that the pop machines be removed from the schools completely.

Well my school sold sodas. So apparently they weren't enforcing the law for decades. And it's irrelevant whether the law is new or not. F"d up is f'd up.

And that's the thing. Let's not pretend that the feds are "giving" us anything. They're ultimately using our money. Get rid of the f'ing public education, "give" people back their money and let them decide what's best for their children.

Forum List

Back