Berkeley using "anticipatory violence" to silence free speech

What did I say in my post? WHAT DID I SAY IN MY POST?
Really? You cannot see how I took what you said and expanded it out to its logical conclusion? Do you not comprehend what goes on about you at all?

You are justifying the Universities shutting down fee speech under the auspices of 'security concerns'. So I logically took that notion and expanded it out to a strategy (which is what this is on the left, a strategy to silence dissenting opinion) that can be used by anyone to silence speech they do not wish to hear.

I said that universities have the right to act in accordance with their security interests.

Do you disagree with that?
They have a responsibility to the security of their campus and students, that is correct. However, there are many ways to address these concerns. They, and apparently you, have decided to simply silence speech rather than beef up security and/or put local law enforcement on notice that there could be security issues.
This is a strategy by the leftwing faculty of these Universities. It can be seen by the fact that they do not provide the restrictions to leftwing speakers that they do to speakers on the right.
So, the best way to put an end to this practice and allow free speech to reign once again. How does this get accomplished? By forcing the Universities to act under the same security concerns for leftwing speakers. Force the University to cancel leftwing speakers (the same way they cancel rightwing speakers) until the point that the University is required to provide security for ALL speakers.
Then it is no longer an issue.

No you are lying about what I said. That's why I told you to read my post.
No I am not. I am addressing what you said.

Face it. The concern of security for the university and the students is a tactic being employed by the Universities and the progressive student body to silence speech they do not like.

Knowing full well that the University will not require of them the same standard of security for their own venues and speakers, they seek to silence the right through intimidation, fiscal repression and sanctioned censorship of events on the ground.

It has reached the point where only the use of the same tactic will garner any reasonable response.

All of this could be avoided by the Universities if they simply extend the same security effort for both parties, regardless of speaker.

That is if they (or you) value freedom of speech and the free exchange of ideas.

I believe that students should have the right to be every bit as obnoxious as Coulter. You sow the wind...etc...

Let's see the long list of biologists invited to speak at Bob Jones University (hilarious in itself to call that a university) on the facts of evolution.

I posted before, Bob Jones University says in the student handbook that students are not to criticize professors/staff on social media, or otherwise publicly.

That's your conservative version of free speech.

I didn't know that and I would bet many of these 'religious colleges' have similar rules.

Rightwing propaganda floods this country out of every form of media and all the RWnuts can do is complain about being silenced.

Goddam funny.
Talk about delusional....

Hey, you tell me. Where in all the forms of media do you RWnuts NOT have a voice?
Public broadcasting...

You must not listen to NPR. The 2-hour interview with David Frum, Bush's speechwriter. It was quite fascinating.
David Frum is a cuck.

THE cuck of the right.

Let's see the long list of biologists invited to speak at Bob Jones University (hilarious in itself to call that a university) on the facts of evolution.

I posted before, Bob Jones University says in the student handbook that students are not to criticize professors/staff on social media, or otherwise publicly.

I didn't know that and I would bet many of these 'religious colleges' have similar rules.
You are comparing private colleges with public ones.

You have no argument.

Really? You cannot see how I took what you said and expanded it out to its logical conclusion? Do you not comprehend what goes on about you at all?

You are justifying the Universities shutting down fee speech under the auspices of 'security concerns'. So I logically took that notion and expanded it out to a strategy (which is what this is on the left, a strategy to silence dissenting opinion) that can be used by anyone to silence speech they do not wish to hear.

I said that universities have the right to act in accordance with their security interests.

Do you disagree with that?
They have a responsibility to the security of their campus and students, that is correct. However, there are many ways to address these concerns. They, and apparently you, have decided to simply silence speech rather than beef up security and/or put local law enforcement on notice that there could be security issues.
This is a strategy by the leftwing faculty of these Universities. It can be seen by the fact that they do not provide the restrictions to leftwing speakers that they do to speakers on the right.
So, the best way to put an end to this practice and allow free speech to reign once again. How does this get accomplished? By forcing the Universities to act under the same security concerns for leftwing speakers. Force the University to cancel leftwing speakers (the same way they cancel rightwing speakers) until the point that the University is required to provide security for ALL speakers.
Then it is no longer an issue.

No you are lying about what I said. That's why I told you to read my post.
No I am not. I am addressing what you said.

Face it. The concern of security for the university and the students is a tactic being employed by the Universities and the progressive student body to silence speech they do not like.

Knowing full well that the University will not require of them the same standard of security for their own venues and speakers, they seek to silence the right through intimidation, fiscal repression and sanctioned censorship of events on the ground.

It has reached the point where only the use of the same tactic will garner any reasonable response.

All of this could be avoided by the Universities if they simply extend the same security effort for both parties, regardless of speaker.

That is if they (or you) value freedom of speech and the free exchange of ideas.

I believe that students should have the right to be every bit as obnoxious as Coulter. You sow the wind...etc...
So, you then approve the tactic and agree that if it silences speech you do not like, it's a-ok with you.

We are not back to the very beginning. Glad I could help.

Bob Jones University (BJU) is a private, non-denominational Protestant university in Greenville, South Carolina, United States, known for its conservative cultural and religious positions. It has approximately 2,800 students, and is accredited by the Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools.

Take note. The discussion is in regard to public universities.

If a private liberal college wishes to ban conservative speech on campus, I'm wholly for it. However....public colleges are not permitted that.

How does this "silence free speech"?

Would the RWNJs feel the same if the college was one of the rabid RW fundie christian, anti-freedom joints?

Fact is, the RW nutters never ever support free speech from the left but now get all hysterical over coulter being canx?

[emoji849]

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

Although, it would be interesting to see Ann Coulter out in the front line throwing Molotov cocktails and bottles and silencing speech. If she was really going to be as obnoxious as the students.

Bob Jones University (BJU) is a private, non-denominational Protestant university in Greenville, South Carolina, United States, known for its conservative cultural and religious positions. It has approximately 2,800 students, and is accredited by the Transnational Association of Christian Colleges and Schools.

Take note. The discussion is in regard to public universities.

If a private liberal college wishes to ban conservative speech on campus, I'm wholly for it. However....public colleges are not permitted that.

And ?

Read the first five words of the First Amendment. This is not a free speech issue.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

You are comparing private colleges with public ones.

You have no argument.

Always with the excuses Moriority, always with the excuses.

The left likes to disguise who they are when they do something anti social, now don't they! Remember the KKK? Oh they were brave as long as they had their hoods on, and now we have ninja Progs running around with masks on. So brave they are.

Do what Auburn did and make them take off their ninja masks, so that when they pull some crap, we can lock them up, and watch how fast the story changes. Catching a few of them and having them spill the beans on who organized it would be excellent!

Rightwing propaganda floods this country out of every form of media and all the RWnuts can do is complain about being silenced.

Goddam funny.
Talk about delusional....

Hey, you tell me. Where in all the forms of media do you RWnuts NOT have a voice?
Public broadcasting...

You must not listen to NPR. The 2-hour interview with David Frum, Bush's speechwriter. It was quite fascinating.
I remember when Bush was the Devil.

Remember when......

CNN.com - Democrats warn Chavez: Don't bash Bush - Sep 21, 2006

Two of President Bush's staunchest domestic critics leapt to his defense Thursday, a day after one of his fiercest foreign foes called him "the devil" in a scorching speech before the United Nations.

"You don't come into my country; you don't come into my congressional district and you don't condemn my president," Rep. Charles Rangel, D-New York, scolded Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-California, was blunt in her criticism of the Venezuelan leader. "He is an everyday thug," she said. (Watch Rangel rip Chavez -- 1:28 )

Cons really get their snowflake feelings hurt when someone shouts them down.

Welcome to the 1st amendment cupcakes. Either practice your oratory or go home. You derps had no problem with your dear leader drumpf telling crowds at his events to beat up on anyone that opposes him and that he would pay their legal fees.

See how that shit bites your ass.

Force the University to cancel leftwing speakers (the same way they cancel rightwing speakers)

What left wing speakers have students invited that provoke radicals to make violent threats?
Not what we are discussing, but consider this.

There were no real radicals making violent threats until recently. In fact, it really began in earnst when they discovered that the Universities would not force them to pay a security fee for their speakers, but if they became violent during a republican invited speaker, the university would then impose a security fee. Since most republican student bodies could not afford the exuberant fees, they would not invite speakers. This is a direct form of speech suppression.

There was a time when the radicalized leftwing would simply hold a protest of a speaker, then go back to their dorms, smoke some weed and screw their ugly naturists (or hard up liberal professors). I was good with all that.

But tit is good for tat and if that is the game that wants to be had, then the republican students should do exactly the same until such time as the University requires that the Democrat student body pay the exact same fee for speaking events.

OR.....

The Universities could take a leadership role and inform students that protesting is a time-honored tradition in this country but that any violence would result in the immediate (without appeal) expulsion of those committing acts of violence in the protest. These would be any physical act the requires anyone to have to clean up after them, i.e., scorch marks from burning bottle or bonfires, feces smeared on public facilities, to mopping up puddles of urine.

Maybe we'll get a restoration of maturity to the universities where if someone we don't agree with speaks at an event, we simply don't attend it.

Cons really get their snowflake feelings hurt when someone shouts them down.

Welcome to the 1st amendment cupcakes. Either practice your oratory or go home. You derps had no problem with your dear leader drumpf telling crowds at his events to beat up on anyone that opposes him and that he would pay their legal fees.

See how that shit bites your ass.
Of course, we had problems with it. However, it wasn't Trump telling them to go beat up the protestors, it was him telling them to defend themselves, wasn't it?

There is one other thing that the Universities could do.

Stop paying for speakers and ban the use of payment for speech engagement.

I think you'd see a remarkable drop in speakers and protests.

Forum List

Back