Bay News 9 Fibs, Says Social Security Is Not A Ponzi Scheme

johnwk

Gold Member
May 24, 2009
See PolitiFact's Truth-O-Meter rates a claim about whether or not Social Security and Medicare could be considered a "Ponzi scheme."

"The biggest difference, according to Gillin, is that the government can change the rules whenever they want. That way, he says, the government can take action to always make both of those programs solvent, while the Ponzi scheme runs out of money. Based on these differences, PolitiFact rates Curbelo's claim as FALSE."

The essential elements of a Ponzi scheme have one group paying into the system who are led to believe they will be rewarded further down the road which the schemer intends to fund with money paid into the scheme by new participants. Eventually the number of recipients being rewarded becomes so great that there are not enough new participants to keep the scheme afloat and it goes bankrupt.

To say that Social Security is not a Ponzi scheme because the rules can be changed is to pretend that the original Ponzi scheme rules could not be changed to prolong its death, e.g., by increasing the amount new participants must pay into the system to keep it afloat, or extending the time before their payoff.

The “FACT” is, today’s younger generation is financing the rewards being paid out, and that is the essential element of the original Ponzi scheme.

Not only is Bay News 9 one of the biggest political hacks in the Tampa/St. Pete area, but they constantly misrepresent truth and facts to promote a pinko political agenda and its time more people start calling them out on their deceptions!

JWK

If we can make 51 percent of America’s population dependent upon an Obama, welfare, food stamp, section 8 housing, college loan check, and now free Obamacare along with FREE BACON, we can blackmail them for their vote, keep ourselves in power and keep the remaining portion of America’s productive population enslaved to pay the bills ____ Obama’s Marxist Free Cheese Democracy, designed to establish a federal plantation which redistributes wealth that wage earners, business and investors have worked to create.

Last edited:
It's not a ponzi scheme. No, you can't get your mits on it.

What do you call a program that lets folks take out more than they put in??

A program where your taking money from the folks coming behind you?

I doubt either SS or Medicaid would be very popular if you could only take out EXACTLY what you have invested in either program.

Ponzi? Could be.

Not a Ponzi scheme. No, you can't get your mits on it.

That's how the original Ponzi scheme was sold!

JWK

They are not “liberals”. They are conniving Marxist parasites who use the cloak of government force to steal the wealth which wage earners, business and investors have worked to create

I doubt either SS or Medicaid would be very popular if you could only take out EXACTLY what you have invested in either program.

Ponzi? Could be.

Sure sounds like it....

Ida May Fuller, the first person to begin receiving benefits, in January, 1940, when she was 65- she lived to be 100. “…worked for three years under the Social Security program. The accumulated taxes on her salary during those three years was a total of $24.75. Her initial monthly check was $22.54. During her lifetime she collected a total of $22,888.92 in Social Security benefits.” Social Security History

Not a Ponzi scheme. No, you can't get your mits on it.

You don't have to get your mits on it. They send it to you every month.

It is absolutely disgusting that we have so many people who don't give two hoots about the financial ruin they are leaving our nation's children.

JWK

We are here today and gone tomorrow, but what is most important is what we do in between, and is what our children will inherit and remember us by.

Ponzi? Could be.

Sure sounds like it....

Ida May Fuller, the first person to begin receiving benefits, in January, 1940, when she was 65- she lived to be 100. “…worked for three years under the Social Security program. The accumulated taxes on her salary during those three years was a total of $24.75. Her initial monthly check was $22.54. During her lifetime she collected a total of $22,888.92 in Social Security benefits.” Social Security History

Not bad for a $22 investment.

As I said. I doubt either SS or Medicare would be popular if you could only take out EXACTLY what you put in. If they couldn't use the money of those coming behind them.

Doubt either program would survive.

Ponzi? Could be.

Sure sounds like it....

As I said. I doubt either SS or Medicare would be popular if you could only take out EXACTLY what you put in. If they couldn't use the money of those coming behind them.

This is why FDR's detractors blame him for changing the relationship between the government and the people.

Ponzi? Could be.

Sure sounds like it....

Perhaps the most poignant criticism of FDR is that he changed the relationship between the government and the people of the nation.

Which should support which.....

It's not a Ponzi Scheme. The OP misunderstands the nature of a Ponzi Scheme.

You are entitled to your opinion however wrongheaded it may be.

JWK

They are not “liberals”. They are conniving Marxist parasites who use the cloak of government force to steal the wealth which wage earners, business and investors have worked to create

How will Bay News 9 rate Obama’s latest absurd assertion?

SEE: Obama: US Economy Better Off By Every Measure Than 2008

“By every economic measure, we are better off now than when I took office”

Tell us Mr. Obama, how much has the national debt increased since you took office?
How many people have lost their health insurance plans and doctors they were comfortable with since you took office? And how much have their health insurance premiums increased?

And how many more people are receiving food stamps since you took office while countless full time jobs have been changed to part time jobs because of your Obamacare tyranny? How can things be better when workplace participation is far lower than it has been in recent times? And what about college graduates who are deeply in debt who cannot find jobs because of your economic policies?

And let us not forget how your open border policy has allowed 10s of thousands of poorly educated, low skilled, poverty stricken and disease carrying foreigners to invade our borders who are now a millstone around the necks of the American taxpaying citizens, and how this is bankrupting many local schools who are forced to accommodate these illegal entrants.

Perhaps you really meant to say that those wishing to invade our country are better off now than when you took office.

Let me be the first to advise you, Mr. Obama, that a majority of the American People know exactly what you and your inner circle “progressive” thugs are up to.

JWK

If we can make 51 percent of America’s population dependent upon an Obama, welfare, food stamp, section 8 housing, college loan check, and now free Obamacare along with FREE BACON, we can blackmail them for their vote, keep ourselves in power and keep the remaining portion of America’s productive population enslaved to pay the bills ____ Obama’s Marxist Free Cheese Democracy, designed to establish a federal plantation which redistributes wealth that wage earners, business and investors have worked to create.

Last edited:
Americans are JUST stupid enough to believe it too!

I take it you are not an American, nor think I'm an American?

JWK

Impeach Obama and stop his fundamental transformation of America by executive orders!

Americans are JUST stupid enough to believe it too!

I am hoping against hope that the last presidential election turns out to be a fraud, Democrats stealing it.....

....still hard to believe that 65 million Americans voted for this windbag community organizer.

Forum List

Back